Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM

43 posts, read 114,321 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have really enjoyed reading posts here-- thanks!

My husband and I are older parents and live just outside of Denver with our 7 and 4 year old. I am really pretty happy here but my husband who is from a Wyoming ranch is not crazy about the traffic, etc. Also, I would move anywhere if it were a better environment for my kids.

I wondered if anyone is real familiar with both the Denver area and Helena for comparison sake. The weather here is really pretty nice: we certainly have winter, but it is always sunny and rarely windy. Is it a lot colder,cloudier, windier there? I visited Helena years ago in September and absolutley fell in love. I loved Missoula too, but I hear it gets socked in a lot, and I NEED my sunshine.

The public schools near our home are pretty scary, so we drive 20-30 minutes each way to St. Anne's in Arvada. Even though I like Denver, in a way it has never felt like 'home' , and I actaully did have that feeling of "I've come home" in Montana for some reason. Bottom line, what I am hoping to find in a community, if I could have my IDEAL :

---A real sense of community-- cities are the lonliest places there are! Everyone is so busy driving their kids places and working that your family is pretty isolated
----Clean fresh mountain air, pine trees, moutains ( we looked at moving to Evergreen,CO-- too snooty, not really a commmunity IMO)
--- Very family friendly atmosphere-- a place where fmaily values are supported by the whole community. Also, a strong faith community, but also open minded to people of all faiths and ideas
--- Some acting opportunities. I act part time here in Denver, independant films/ commerials, not so much stage since the kids were born). I am assuming there would not be too much for me in Helena, but I know there is some stage work. Is there much in the way of independant, (or studio for that matter) filming in Montana?
--- Opportunities for my kids-- i.e music, dance, sports when they are older, soccer, etc
--- Seasons, but not so cold we won't want to live there when we are old (this would be a permanent move). Is it a good place to retire?
---Friendly!! I would love to have friends that don't live so far away ( I have friends in the metro area that I drive 45 minutes to see for lunch!)
---Oh yes-- work! My husband and I are both licensed to practice law in Montana. It is such a beautiful and desirable place to love, I fear the town is probably already overun by lawyers with no need for more! Any thoughts on this?
---Home prices within the realm of reason. I love country/ mountain life, but also convenience-- any thoughts on where that might be?

So-- not asking for much, am I ????

I would love any thoughts. Denver has a lot to offer, but I want hubby to be happy, too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 PM

Does anyone know how to move this post to the Colorado board?

Old 01-25-2009, 03:53 PM

Also, could someone recommend a real estate agent?

I'm a little nervous after just reading a post that said Montanans hate Coloradans....

Old 01-25-2009, 05:14 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,245 times
A lot of folks here (ok, most) don't like people from California, but I've never heard anything about Colorado.... hmmm. Just leave it here LEDFuller and see what you get. You might get some help with your questions. Good luck in your search.

Old 01-25-2009, 07:38 PM

Thanks! I'll keep checking back.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:52 PM
Bub

235 posts, read 380,557 times
Lived in both Montana and Colorado although, not Helena and not Denver. Looking at your list of things...Have you looked at Bozeman, MT? Missoula and Bozeman seemed very much alike to me. Bozeman is probably more expensive though. This is a very up and coming area, my work tied me to Gardiner, MT at the time but if I could have found good work in Bozeman, I think we never would have left.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks for the response!

My husband lived in Bozeman-- MSU grad. It's probalay too expensive and snows a lot more/ less un-- isn't that right? I thought Helena might be a bit sunier and more mild. I hope I can get some more responses..

Old 01-26-2009, 07:21 PM

989 posts, read 3,526,245 times
Helena is warmer than Bozeman in the summer for sure. During the winter we seem to be about the same I think, someone can correct me on this if I'm wrong.

Snow? I'm trying to think... I think we have had about the same snow levels over the last several years but historically Bozeman probably gets more.

Bozeman gets a lot of bad press on this forum and others for being so crowded and all, but remember, its Montana people who are saying that. Many of us from Montana think Bozeman is huge and congested with rich folks.
To most people from elsewhere its still a very small city. People from Montana are also down on Bozeman because we remember when it was a small quiet place. To anyone else its still a small quiet place. I guess it all has to do with perspective is what I'm saying. It is too big for me but city folks might love it. The people who learn about Bozeman from this forum get a very one sided view.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:11 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Here is my little opinion. Full disclosure. Moved to Montana from the PNW. Been here going on two years. We looked all over the state for a couple of years, visiting in all seasons. Number one reason to move to Montana is the natural beauty, hunting opportunities, slower life. Bozeman is so very beautiful, but remember in my life my state had gone through the very pains that Montana is going through. Higher home prices, higher taxes, more regulation. That is some of the echo you hear on this forum. I and dh came here with transferable skills and humble attitudes. So far so good, but we are quiet people who tend to hibernate a bit with a good book. Once upon a time back home you could buy a house on a living wage, maybe even some land, no longer. You could strap your elk across your rig's hood and show it off at the darimart, no more. You fished for all the salmon you wanted, no more because it is some type of religious symbols to the indigenous people. They even had to let them power up a boat and shoot a hook into a whale for their ceremonies. My precious Montana is in the birth pains of this transition. Hoping the ole cowboys are more stubborn than to allow it to happen too fast. Even in the "largest" towns in Montana you will have a lot of culture shock. Visit, and visit often. Keep us up on your progress. BTW Helena is a cute town, I laugh as I write town, you have no idea the diminutive size of towns here. Hope I am not coming across on a negative channel. Any move, especially a retirement move needs careful consideration.

Last edited by Mt-7; 01-26-2009 at 10:17 PM.. Reason: wow, the run on sentences.

Old 01-27-2009, 07:03 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
Ok, here's my .02 cents. We looked at moving to several places in CO at one point, outside Denver, Columbine,Tech Center and lastly Fort Collins. After living here for about 8 years now the differences I see are many and as you can see we stayed put.
We don't get hail that'll beat your car into submission or make your hood look like a ball-peen hammer went at it, we don't have freeways that you take your life into your hands when you drive on 'em (seen many a multi-car accident on CO highways), we send our kids to school without the fear that they'll be shot, while we have some gang activity starting up on the east side of MT apperantly we do not have that worry here. We can get from Whitefish to the end of Kalispell in about 20 mins even during rush hour. We can ride our 4 wheel ATV's to the store if we want. We don't have bumper to bumper traffic.

The "down" side depending on your view of things.
Depending on where you are it gets either 1.windy and cold 2. Cold and real Cold 3. Seattle weather but snow instead of rain. There are not stores on every corner and you may have to drive to get something you really want. Things run about 10 years behind the times and most don't care or want that to change.
Poverty with a view is a true statement unless you bring your money with you or have a job already set up before you come.
And the biggest one, Summer rafting only lasts a couple of months a year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana