U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

I have to agree, you don't like Butte don't come here. Pretty simple. I notice you don't list where you are from? Is it so much better? Doubtful
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,571,634 times
What Silvertip said (I'd somehow missed ever seeing that reply!)... I remember when the mine closed and Butte went to sky-high unemployment overnight. People were barely getting by but I don't recall anyone that I knew over there who rolled over or gave up and left.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,591,410 times
Default Butte is pretty high in elevation.

I think it's a bit higher than Denver and further north but still just west of the divide. I have always liked Butte and enjoy visiting. There are many old structures that hold tons of history. I hope Butte stays just as it is, I need to visit with a camera or two one of these days. We haven't been to Butte in years.
There is no doubt that one has to be pretty tough to live there and I don't doubt that my wife and I are to soft to live there.
Folks I've met in my many business visits there were always pretty friendly to us.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Yeah, actually I'd say folks in Butte are more than average friendly, from when I knew a bunch of 'em back-when. I expect Butte being the kind of town it is, it's probably changed less than elsewhere, too.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:40 PM

7 posts, read 21,210 times
Butte's a unique place. I moved there in December 1973 just at the beginning of a two-week cold snap. I stayed in a dorm at Montana Tech during the month of January since I worked at Tech. They were kind enough to let me do that instead of living in a hotel room or a short-term rental. I was getting sparks off my fingertips about a half an inch long whenever I reached for a doorknob during that cold snap! I'd never experienced that kind of dryness. Later on, I bought a house on West Granite street. A two-story brick victorian built in 1895 with stained glass windows and chandeliers in the living and dining rooms, 10 1/2 foot ceilings on the first floor and 9 1/2 foot on the second! A balcony porch above the front porch perfect for walking out of the master bedroom onto and viewing the 4th of July fireworks over the housetops. Waaaay cool! Btw--I paid $12,000 for it (1975).

About 30 years later, my wife and I were travelling through Butte and we decided to stop and take a look at this house that I'd told her about. We were bold enough to knock on the door, and were met by a very friendly gal who'd just bought the house the week before. She was a native Montanan who'd worked in Kansas City for a number of years and was just thrilled to be able to move back. In 2005, she paid $65,000 for it. We spent about an hour looking through the house. I told her about several things she didn't know about, so it was good for her too. The house was considerably upgraded since I lived in it, with a room addition in the back and lots of cosmetic fixing. Definitely a good price for a cool house. Afterward, my wife said that if anything, I'd understated how great the house was!

Here's a couple of very freaky coincidences. One of the first books I read when I got to Butte was "Red Harvest" by Dashiel Hammett, the author of "The Maltese Falcon". It was really about Butte! The coincidence was, I wasn't aware of that fact, I just wanted to read something by Hammett, and checked that one out from the public library. Bizarre! Another coincidence: I made a trip out to Butte from my home in Ohio in September when I was interviewing for that job. When I got back to Ohio--the very evening I got back!--I went over to my sister's and she and her husband had a movie on TV. The place on TV looked awfully familiar! I told them, "I was just there (pointing at the screen)! There's no other place that looks like Butte, MT and that's it!!" It was the movie about Evel Knievel.

Some things were just meant to be! :-)

Last edited by davidnrobyn; 10-18-2014 at 05:17 PM..

Old 10-18-2014, 04:57 PM

There are some lovely old houses yet in Butte. They come up on the real estate listings occasionally. Some in tough shape, hope they get saved rather than torn down.

Old 10-18-2014, 05:38 PM

7 posts, read 21,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by recycler View Post
Butte is one of the most disgusting Places in Montana for its size. The people who try to run it are clickish, corrupt and uncaring about the people living there. Misused funds at the city level like for road work ect. Because the Folk Festival was coming to town last year they dicided to fix pot holes we were driving over for years. They say they have a weed control but at his speed, well lets just say he, I wont mention names will never control it them because he is a lazy person. The Health Department is a joke. Beware where you eat. I deliver in this town and 75 percent of the places are gross in the back. Again the Health Departments Ed Randle is another Lazy person and yet again the people here pay the price.
People in this town let their dogs run all over, The alley are filled with trash, mainly in the spring and summer, I guess this is a way for people to feed those pets, I could go on all day about the pit falls here. Hey they
should rename Butte, Pit Falls because Butte will be known one day nationally for its cup of poison the pit. The kids are not safe to walk around the streets like in the past because of all the felons. Why would anyone want to live in this filthy run down place. I use to live in Butte and I am glad I only deliver there now.
Having said all that, it's really a fun, cool place! I miss it and wish I were there.

Old 11-09-2014, 09:43 AM

25 posts, read 40,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I have no love for Butte, I played sports against them and they were some of the toughest kids you ever want to meet.

I agree the Unions did a lot of damage in Butte, probably more toxic than the mines, But Butte is a tough town.

They have a rough climate, bad reputation, toxic everything, no money, industry or tax base, but they refuse to roll over and die.

Butte is just another town. A little rougher around the edges perhaps, but just a town.
I'm glad I read this post because I kept wondering why this whole area was so politically Blue. Many staunch union members (With the exception of police and fire) wouldn't vote Red if they were the only ones on the ticket.
I would imagine that there are other reasons but maybe that's also why Montana is rated by Kipplingers as one of the 10 worst tax states in the country.

Old 11-09-2014, 01:00 PM

Someone told me the copper mine is running again. Any truth to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana