Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 02:57 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Remember the old ad "This is your brain" (shows an egg), "This is your brain on drugs" (shows a fried egg). "Any questions?" Supposedly that was one of the most successful campaigns at getting the "drugs are stupid" meme into the teen population. Teens are *visual*, no doubt about it.

There's a video by the band Cynic Guru (Roland Hartwell) to go with their "Drugs" song, that I think would make a good anti-drugs ad. It's both funny and mildly sick, and gets somewhat ugly toward the end -- Roland says there wasn't any *intentional* message, it was just a story about some kids being dumb kids, but the message it *projects* is "Drugs make you ugly and stupid." And the song itself is good enough to get kids' attention (in fact it was #1 on the charts in Iceland, where Roland works most of the year -- as a classical violinist!) Lemme see if I can find a working download link.

Okay, go here http://www.cynicguru.com/ click the link at the top "cg's drugs" -- you'll need a browser with the Quicktime plugin.

If you can't get that to work, here's a direct link so you can download and save it locally (it's less than 4mb): http://web.mac.com/cynicguru/iWeb/cy...%20video-4.mov
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2007, 05:36 PM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Remember the old ad "This is your brain" (shows an egg), "This is your brain on drugs" (shows a fried egg). "Any questions?" Supposedly that was one of the most successful campaigns at getting the "drugs are stupid" meme into the teen population. Teens are *visual*, no doubt about it.

There's a video by the band Cynic Guru (Roland Hartwell) to go with their "Drugs" song, that I think would make a good anti-drugs ad. It's both funny and mildly sick, and gets somewhat ugly toward the end -- Roland says there wasn't any *intentional* message, it was just a story about some kids being dumb kids, but the message it *projects* is "Drugs make you ugly and stupid." And the song itself is good enough to get kids' attention (in fact it was #1 on the charts in Iceland, where Roland works most of the year -- as a classical violinist!) Lemme see if I can find a working download link.

Okay, go here http://www.cynicguru.com/ click the link at the top "cg's drugs" -- you'll need a browser with the Quicktime plugin.

If you can't get that to work, here's a direct link so you can download and save it locally (it's less than 4mb): http://web.mac.com/cynicguru/iWeb/cy...%20video-4.mov

I remeber that "egg" commercial. I never got into drugs myself...to much of a self control freak I guess, but I always thought that commercial was dumb as a youth, but apparently it must have worked.

Interesting video link. Some kids might view it and say, "hey look at the old lady doing drugs and she is still alive...maybe drugs will help you live longer" Just my weird spin on it. Thanks for posting it

Old 03-23-2007, 06:47 PM

Or an even weirder spin, "Do drugs and you'll never need a dentist."

Never did drugs myself either. #1, I was too cheap, and #2, like yourself too much of a control freak. I prefer ME to be in control, not some chemical of dubious provenance.

Last edited by Reziac; 03-23-2007 at 06:50 PM.. Reason: forgot to finish what I was saying :)

Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 AM

11 posts, read 64,372 times
People have been altering their consciousness as far back as we have records, traditionally through the use of plants which are smoked, eaten or brewed, but there are other ways including fasting, chanting and sweating. Often, these altered states were part of a ritual or ceremony and were connnected to religious practices.

Coming from an open minded sort of volkswagen bus mentality, I totally agree that meth is 110% bad. It's more addictive than cigarettes, heroin or cocaine. There is nothing natural about meth- as far as its composition. There is no uniformity in the drug- every batch is different according to what chemicals are available.

Shocking images have been used on the American people for many years- think of all the horror films- for no good reason other than a thrill? It's about time for a shocking campaign that will scare kids and adults away from meth. The danger is the FIRST TIME. If we can keep people from TRYING meth- then they will never have a problem with it. jm

Old 03-27-2007, 06:51 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,618,410 times
Quote:
There is no uniformity in the drug- every batch is different according to what chemicals are available.
That's true but have you ever checked out what some of the ingredients are? They're mostly poisonous liquids used for cleaning or industrial purposes and none of them are supposed to be ingested with the exception of the cold medications and even those should be used according to the instructions on the package.

Old 03-28-2007, 10:54 AM
G&G

25 posts, read 116,575 times
The most shocking thing to me is that while we all try to eat healthy, take our vitamins, ect... and still worry about good health..these people can suck down PURE CHEMICALS and actually live thru it!!! Yes, maybe not for long, BUT they actually DO live thru it the FIRST time???? Did anyone notice how the one girl said she drank BLEACH to pass her urine exam? I was completeley shocked.

Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G&G View Post
Did anyone notice how the one girl said she drank BLEACH to pass her urine exam? I was completeley shocked.
Me too!!! I couldn't even imagine what that must be like going down your throat

Old 03-28-2007, 07:12 PM

It's not the bleach per se that hurts you, it's the chlorine gas released when it hits a reactive chemical (stomach acid would probably do). Can't imagine what that girl was thinking, other than maybe trying to win a Darwin award...!!

Bleach tastes like salty water, as it comes from the bottle. My dogs like to lick it off the concrete while I'm cleaning kennels!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana