U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-16-2007, 06:19 AM

373 posts, read 1,291,639 times
Default Montana Meth movie on HBO 2 this weekend

The Montana Meth movie will be on HBO 2 this weekend.

http://www.montanameth.org/documents...0-%20FINAL.pdf
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 03:28 PM

7,917 posts, read 11,159,987 times
I just watched the first of 14 episodes that get into all sorts of addictions and what can be done about them. It was a first rate documentary and you can get a little teary eyed when you see parents whose kids have died from a drug overdose. I'm going to try to watch them all. One of them is the Montana meth situation and there's a whole range of other topics.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:53 AM

Thanks for posting this link Lorelei2873. I watched the Montana Meth program last night and a couple others as well. Anyone who has kids should watch this program. It said Montana has the second worst problem with meth in the country (it didn't say who was first but meth seems to be more of a rural or small town problem although you can get it anywhere). This is unsettling but it's something people need to know about.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 PM

719 posts, read 1,981,813 times
I was only able to catch the last half hour of it, but boy, does it look like a problem. Hopefully it will be on again. I am debating wether to let my kids ( 12 and 14) watch it.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM

Sadly, that's about when they start doing it around here. I think a lot of parents struggle with whether or not to let their kids watch that kind of stuff. The whole Montana Meth Project campaign has been pretty controversial, but it's been mostly well-received. They say you really have to scare teens to get them to care. It's been an interesting ongoing conversation in Montana.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:11 PM

I happened to tell my sister about this program and she emailed me back and told me that her husband's sister's two kids have had really bad problems with meth and in fact one of them is in prison right now for a felony meth conviction. They live in Butte and I haven't seen my brother in law's family for some time so I wasn't aware of that. His other sister has been in prison herself a number of times for a variety of drug offenses which has ruined her life completely. She lost her children and my sister said the last time she saw her she was just a tough looking woman you wouldn't want to cross. The last time I saw her she was a cute young teenager with blond hair. It makes you sick to see someone destroy their life.

Old 03-19-2007, 09:38 PM
G&G

25 posts, read 77,560 times
Lorelei2873, I am interested in knowing what you mean by the Montana Meth project campaign being so controversial there? I watched the documentery and was shocked to learn that Montana ranked 2nd in the country....

Old 03-20-2007, 12:13 PM

Well, the Montana Meth Project campaign was developed using a lot of message testing. What they found was that young people only really responded strongly to graphic messages and visual images. So, these aren't your typical "just say no" commercials, and some parents thought they were too disturbing for young kids. Also, Montana Meth Project is currently the largest advertiser in the state, so the commercials have a really high saturation rate, and they run while you might be eating dinner.

They show a person plucking out all their eyebrows, beating people up in laundromats, getting solicited for sex by drug dealers, beating up their moms, dumping their friends at the hospital entrance and driving away, etc. Then the billboards are pictures of dirty toilets with tags like "You never thought you'd lose your virginity here." Then there's real life testimonials from teens who beat up their girlfriends, pimped them out for drug money, etc. So, a lot of parents would have liked less disturbing images. However, preliminary numbers are showing declines in first time use among teens, so that's good. The campaign seems to have done a really good job of stigmatizing the drug and taking any potential glamour out of it.

Old 03-20-2007, 07:58 PM

989 posts, read 2,208,690 times
I second what lorelei2873 has said. Some people were (and maybe still are) very upset by how graphic the advertising was.

I think the guy who is paying for this whole thing is a saint for what he has done to help Montana.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
G&G

25 posts, read 77,560 times
Thank you for your reply lorelei2873. It sounds like the campaign is pretty "shocking" but I think that is what we need these days, our kids are maybe being TOO sheltered and need to be shown these nasty images to snap them to reality. Too many parents want to be their kids' "friends" instead of good old fashioned parents. What makes a straight A student go from that to Meth?? Is it a lack of dicipline in the home or what? Maybe communication? We do not have children yet, we will probablly have them after moving to Montana and it kind of scares me after seeing this documentary. I see nothing but a total lack of RESPECT coming from the kids around here, and I am just in awe of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana