U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 AM

1,078 posts, read 2,289,748 times

Advertisements

Lincoln is exploring a 4 day school week. Right now, 19 schools in Montana are at a 4 day week. Thoughts, concerns, pros, cons? Is it really to save money? Are 4 day weeks implemented to accomodate sports? What about the little guys? (kinders through 2nd) I can see good and bad coming out of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 01:12 PM

989 posts, read 3,133,389 times
skool is overated. iF everywon wuld just homeschool things would be so much more good. For days a weak or even three day a weak, it dosnt mater, edukation is not as important as peple think. Athletics is all skool is good for. Just my three sents.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:41 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
I think eating and sleeping are wayyyyy over-rated too !
If they cut the number of days they should lengthen the days that are left. If not it's not just the kids that gets short-changed. It's all of us.

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I think eating and sleeping are wayyyyy over-rated too !
If they cut the number of days they should lengthen the days that are left. If not it's not just the kids that gets short-changed. It's all of us.
I think that's the idea, longer school day but less of 'em. I'm fine with the idea for middle school and up but kids below that can't sit or ingest info for long periods.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:45 PM

155 posts, read 640,510 times
They said the same thing in Bridger, save money, save money, save money. Well I don't see going to 4 days is going to do that. The teachers will make the same, the bus drivers will get the same, the janitors will get the same, the lights will still be on considering sports practices and they are going to make the 5th day into a help session so that kids can come in for one on one help. Also, think of the working parents what are they going to do with the young ones. Babby sitters are not free and some people barely scrape by as it is. Oh but the administration said that they were going to teach the HS and MS students to baby sit and get them trained in CPR and First aid. C'mon seriously. It is just a joke to me, considering the voters in the school district dramatically voted against it, but the admin and teachers are pushing it so that they don't have to travel from Billings or out of town down 5 days a week. You tell me any other job in this country that you can go to your employeer and tell them ...." you are going to only work 4 days a week and if they don't like it you will leave".

Old 02-12-2009, 03:33 PM

You make some good points mtboy. One thing I disagree with though, it will save the districts money.

Less money on school lunch, less money for bussing kids, less money for school clean up. Will the kids get the same education? That I don't know.

As for the day care the parents will have to provide on Fridays-- that should not even be a concern. The schools are not day care centers and its not really their job to look after the kids while parents are at work.

Old 02-13-2009, 08:07 AM

155 posts, read 640,510 times
I can see those things but how much really will it save? Will they get a better education? Also there will not be any tax cuts to the taxpayers so how will it save them money, other than avoiding future mill levy raises. This change is only to one school in the county, so as a parent why not take them to another school in the area.... Fromberg, Belfry, Roberts, Red Lodge, Joliet, or Laurel which still go 5 days a week. All of these schools are within a reasonable distance from Bridger. Then the parent will not have to pay to babysit for the extra day each week. Also it is not like it will be on the same day each week... somedays it will be monday, some tuesday, etc. It will just depend on holiday schedule, sporting events, and vacation time of teachers. What kind of schedule is that? I understand the arguement that school is not a daycare..... But at the same time it kind of is. You as a parent pay for it, they learn there, you can take them and drop them off, play with others, and at the same time you can get work done. Is that not what a daycare is? I can see it for the HS and possibly MS but in my eyes it may allow kids to get into more trouble because when not busy young minds will wander and get bored. The young ones i say NO! It will cost a parent +/-$1500 for daycare of ONE child per year. What about the families with 2 or 3..... Do you think their employeer will give them a raise to counter balance this increase? Or the school district will cut that off the top of their taxes? Or they can get a bailout from the gov't? We are talking small communities here approx. 1000 people. Not a larger city, baby sitters are hard to come by now, wait til the school unleases 100 children between the ages of 5-10 one day a week.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:42 AM

I agree. High school maybe, younger kids no way. I don't even know why they are talking about it with the HS kids to tell you the truth. Our test scores are down in America, how will they even sell this idea? I can tell you this though, being a teacher in a district that had 4 day weeks would be SWEET. Four days a week and same pay? Cool for them.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:20 AM

51 posts, read 212,252 times
Four days of school a week?? What are we trying to do? Make our kids even dumber? I think our society is already dumb enough. We need more schooling, not less.

Old 02-21-2009, 02:39 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,474,664 times
4 Day school week is outstanding. Works great.

Heat and lighting is kept to a minimum for 3 days a week. Same with AC for schools fortunate enough to have environment control.

Bus drivers are paid by the hour. So they'll loose some hours which will save money. So long as the bus'ing company is part of the school and not contracted out. Bus will only be fired up buring gas for 4 days a week.

Longer school days will be outstanding for most parents in that their kid will be in school while they are at work. No need for 2 hours of day care each day. Just all on Friday.

No lunches fixed on 5th day so kitchen utils will be drastically lower.

To be able to get a longer period so that a subject can be covered completely, and not cut short and the remainder sent home will help a great deal.

I've lived in areas that had 4 day school weeks. At first, the parents faught it tooth and nail. After a short period of adjustment, it was determined to be much better. The parents fell into the new routine and so did the kids. Test scores went up, the homework grew less. The kids were in school longer for a period so if they had questions about their work, there was better time to cover it. While it was fresh on their minds.

The areas I lived in were ranching and farming areas and the 4 day week was to accomodate the kids having more time to tend to chores and help around the family farm/ranch.

The other good thing that has been done, but everybody fought tooth and nail is to go to year round school. I thought it was excellent. Could plan your vacation several times a year, not just the summer. Kids still got the same number of classroom hours. School could handle 30% more kids without adding on a new wing. Worked great once the parents fell into the routine.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana