U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2009, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 14,278 times

Advertisements

I am looking at taking a job in Polson, Montana. Moving from Anchorage, Alaska. I will have 2 kids under 5 and a wife that would like to stay home when we do this move. Can any please tell me the pros and cons of living in the Polson area? What is there to do with small kids? What kind of amenities does the Polson area have? What is the rental situation in Polson?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,920,546 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/monta...ghlight=polson

Hey if I did this right then you should get started with this link, I am on the other side of the state so can't give ya the birds eye view, good luck. There is alot of yack about driving but hope this will keep your thread up.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 14,278 times
Thanks.....the link came through right.......But not looking at driving, we would live in Polson......Just looking for information on living in Polson.

Old 02-15-2009, 02:05 PM

Sure, lots of good info here, someone will check in at some time.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:09 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,913,019 times
Rents are not particularly high as Polson is on the reservation. There are plenty of things to do nearby and if you like to fish you would have the huge Flathead Lake right there. If you like to run rivers there is the Lower Flathead with several all day floats and one short run with a few short but sweet rapids. See pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Polson, Montana-old-pics-090.jpg  

Old 02-22-2009, 09:14 AM

And he rides in on his kayak and saves the day! We need ya Rickers, not everyone wants to live over here in Siberia.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:36 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,913,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seven of nine View Post
And he rides in on his kayak and saves the day! We need ya Rickers, not everyone wants to live over here in Siberia.
Riding on in wearing pink tights, a mask and cape with an Ugly Stick, Zebco reel and a box full of rubber worms, spinners and crank baits !

Old 05-29-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,031 times
I have to put my 2 cents in about Polson. Lets start with the weather. The so called "Banana Belt" is a total joke! Who came up with that anyway? I have lived here for 10 yrs now & during the winter there is about 3 days out of the month that you will see the sunshine! YES, I said 3. Thats from Nov. to April. Polson has the highes suicide rate in the state Montana..can't help but feel the weather contributes to that. The wind is constantly blowing, coming off of the lake. We had a tornado 2 years ago. Polson has some of the most violent weather I have ever experienced & I have lived in 3 other states. Just so you know I was born & raised in Montana. Now lets talk about crime & drugs...etc. Polson has the highest drugs per capita of any place in the state of Montana. Kids start doing drugs & having sex as early as 12 yrs old! This came from the mouth of a physican here in Polson. Domestic violence runs ramped here, it is just accepted. Jobs...what jobs? You can't find a job that pays much over minimun wage. The cost of living here is extremely high, higher than any place in MT that I have ever been in. Property taxes are OUT RAGEOUS! Now lets talk about the people (not all of them of course). If your are not in the "clique" you are nothing but an outcast. You can even see this starting in the grade school. Very UNFRIENDLY unless you are a tourist with your pocketbook open. When I built my house here I made sure that every dime was spent here in the community. Between the land & my home I spent approx. over a half million dollars. Yet no one knows me or will give me a chance to do any work. Afterall I don't belong to their "clique". I have reached out to people in a time of need, did work for them for nothing & I have given beef to needy families. But I cannot get any work here! I live here but have always had to leave this county to make a living. Shopping...what a joke! You can get the essentials but that is pretty much it. The couple of nice stores that is here is so pricey the local, minimum wage families cannot shop there. Polson area, the Mission Valley is absolutely BREATH TAKING for 75 days at best, I would never take that away from them. But you can't eat the scenery. You can fish, boat & bird hunt here. You can also hike on trails that are never maintained. NO big game hunting of any kind. Bringing my family here was one of the biggest mistakes I have made. As soon as my youngest daughter graduates we are out of here! 3 more years...hopefully I can hang on that long.

Old 05-29-2011, 12:23 PM

213 posts, read 598,741 times
I feel compelled to respond to this post, because it seems there is a lot of information in here that is either inaccurate or unfair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stryker59 View Post
Lets start with the weather. The so called "Banana Belt" is a total joke! Who came up with that anyway? I have lived here for 10 yrs now & during the winter there is about 3 days out of the month that you will see the sunshine! YES, I said 3. Thats from Nov. to April.
I'll admit I don't spend a lot of time in Polson in the winter, so while this seems like an exaggeration, you might be right. However, I can say that it doesn't sound a lot different from other towns in western Montana. Have you ever spent a winter in Missoula? Talk about long and dreary. Also, keep in mind that the OP is currently residing in Anchorage, AK, which isn't exactly famous for its sunshine, either.

Quote:
Polson has the highes suicide rate in the state Montana..can't help but feel the weather contributes to that.
I'm very curious where you got that information on suicides. I couldn't find anything that shows Polson or Lake County to have the highest suicide rate in the state. In fact, the most recent stats I found actually put Lake County on the lower end of the scale. http://www.dphhs.mt.gov/amdd/statesuicideplan.pdf
Yes, Montana as a whole has a very high suicide rate - we're the second highest in the nation, after Alaska (home of the OP). But I don't see any evidence that Polson is worse than the state as a whole.

Quote:
The wind is constantly blowing, coming off of the lake. We had a tornado 2 years ago.
Ah, I remember that "tornado." It tore a bit of siding off some metal buildings. I think it is still debated whether it was an actual (F0) tornado or a microburst. Polson is hardly tornado alley.

Quote:
Now lets talk about crime & drugs...etc. Polson has the highest drugs per capita of any place in the state of Montana. Kids start doing drugs & having sex as early as 12 yrs old! This came from the mouth of a physican here in Polson. Domestic violence runs ramped here, it is just accepted.
Again, do you have facts that support your claim that Polson has the highest drug use in the state? I'm sure local physicians in any city in Montana, or in the nation, for that matter, could tell stories of 12 year olds doing drugs or having sex. That doesn't mean it's worse in Polson than anywhere else. Same goes for the domestic violence. It's a problem in Montana - and lots of other places. Not fair to single out Polson without any facts that it's worse than anywhere else.

Quote:
Jobs...what jobs? You can't find a job that pays much over minimun wage. The cost of living here is extremely high, higher than any place in MT that I have ever been in.
Jobs... well, I'll give you that one. Jobs are scarce and low-paying, like almost everywhere else in Montana. However, the OP said he has a job offer, so this is probably irrelevent to him. As for the cost of living, I'm wondering what other areas of Montana you've been in? Real estate prices and rents seem less in Polson than in Missoula, Bozeman, Kalispell, and the Bitterroot.

Quote:
Now lets talk about the people (not all of them of course). If your are not in the "clique" you are nothing but an outcast. You can even see this starting in the grade school. Very UNFRIENDLY unless you are a tourist with your pocketbook open. When I built my house here I made sure that every dime was spent here in the community. Between the land & my home I spent approx. over a half million dollars. Yet no one knows me or will give me a chance to do any work. Afterall I don't belong to their "clique".
I don't live in Polson, so I can't dispute this, and won't even try to comment on the friendliness or acceptance of the community. If it's as bad as you say, I can see why you're bitter about the place.

Quote:
Shopping...what a joke! You can get the essentials but that is pretty much it. The couple of nice stores that is here is so pricey the local, minimum wage families cannot shop there.
Yes, locals on minimum wage are probably limited to WalMart. Upscale stores are for the wealthier residents or tourists. This is not Polson-specific. The same is true of Hamilton, Philipsburg, and most of the shops in downtown Missoula just to name a few.

Quote:
Bringing my family here was one of the biggest mistakes I have made. As soon as my youngest daughter graduates we are out of here! 3 more years...hopefully I can hang on that long.
This seems odd to me... if you believe Polson is such a horrible place to live and raise a family, why are you waiting until your kids are out of school to leave? If everything you said is true, I would think that you would want to get your family out of there ASAP to finish raising your kids in a place that is healthier and happier. Why wait?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana