U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving to Montana: job market, homeschooling program, 4wd vehicles, unemployed, auto tire chains.

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 05:08 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,292 posts, read 3,325,335 times

Advertisements

[quote=Brad4JC;7606733]Rachel,
[color=#000080]I can tell you a little of what I know about Missoula and Kalispell. My pick between the two is definitely Kalispell.

Some VERY RECENT employment facts (2/16 to 2/24/2009) related to the FLathead area.......................

December's unemployment rate for Flathead county was 8.7%....since then
3 major employers (C F Alum Co. Plum Creek Timber & Semitool) have cut over 650 jobs. Related trickle down efect will unemploy another 600 .....thus the current unemployment rate for Flathead County is now approching approx 11% ----the 2nd highest in the state.

Summary: very difficult to find work in this area. Sad but true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:37 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,762,130 times
Just a note if you consider Helena.
We don't get as much snow as many of the other areas, so the county doesn't invest in as many plows.
The highways are pretty well maintained, main arterials, plow, sometimes sand at stop signs and itersections, not always. Secondary roads, usually pack ice and Ma Nature plow, (wait for the snow to melt).

In city limits, main roads and snow routes are plowed, usually. However, most city streets are not plowed and as we have some pretty steep hills, you can't stop on the ice.

Sometimes they will put a little sand down at the lights, but usually only after there has been an accedent or someone spins out and can't move causing a traffic jam.

If you are outside the main areas, you are on your own. Chains, 4x4s and buy your own plow. There are a lot of folks here who will plow for a fee. In bad storms you will have to wait in line.

Luckilly, we don't get more that a few feet of snow a year so it isn't bad once it is packed down. Fills in the potholes so the ride is a lot smoother than when the road is dry.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:27 AM

24 posts, read 56,873 times
Default Missoula homeschooling

Hi. Having never lived in Kalispell I cannot compare the two, but I will say we have an excellent, active homeschool system here in Missoula. It is tied into our beautiful, newly expanded Public Library as well as the University of Montana's science dept. Many organizations (such as gymnastics, dance) offer discounts for homeschool groups, plus we have the well-known Missoula Children's Theater ( see The Little Red Truck). For a Montana town of our size we have some pretty good museums and even a few restaurants that stand out of the crowd. There are negatives and positives to this being a university town, but there is always something cultural happening, and homeschoolers seem to have the best of two worlds here, not being restricted to the public school system.

Our youngest is a chem major at the U of M, but I'm familiar with a lot of the current homeschool goings on through my church as well as my niece--this next week is a busy one as everyone is getting ready for a big science fair.

I don't know that jobs are going to be any better or worse here than Kalispell. I do know I will miss all this if we move when my hubby retires from the university.

I would check out both towns if you can before you made a decision-although I certainly know that sometimes you just have to go where the job opens up!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana