U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Status: "Days like this I think to myself "I hate living in Georgia"." (set 20 hours ago)

47,576 posts, read 45,265,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
He's saying that if you like the music we like, if you drive old trucks like us, if you dress and talk like us you will be fine. Don't come here thinking you have any freedom of choice or expression. One more thing, speak only when spoken too. Welcome.
That is kind of disturbing. A person should be able to buy a nice, new car if he/she can afford it and shouldn't judge anyone who drives an old truck or can't afford a new car. A person should be able to listen to his/her own music. The way I see it, have new things, nice things, different things, but don't judge others on it and don't brag. Enjoy your things and let other people enjoy their things.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:40 PM

1,645 posts, read 4,006,739 times
I'm liberal as hell and I never had a problem with anyone when I lived in Montana. I also dressed weird and listened to punk rock music. Of course, I lived in Missoula and was one of those rare Montana "city boys". Hmmmm......

Old 03-04-2009, 12:02 AM

26 posts, read 63,306 times
Sure you can be wealthy and enjoy nice things and live in Vermont or Montana. However people have reached a boiling point with the greed! Here in VT Volvos, Birkinstocks = McMansions and overpriced condos so much so that the locals who SUPPORT your lifestyles with their services are living in all the local motels on welfare! Is that what you want for Montana? I have been to MT a lot. There are MANY native VERY WEALTHY ranchers in MT with big spreads. They don't shove it in your face and will gladly give you a job and a bunk if they have one. If you are hitchin on th highway they will pick you up in thier F-250. These people from MA, NY, an NJ who have taken over VT actually want to drive all the local "riff-raff" out of VT so they can have their own Currier and Ives Utopia! You think I am exagerating? Wait and see what will happen to to MT in the next 10 years as they flee the burbs they have destroyed with their greed! They aren't happy until they flip every house in every state, and the local are all on welfare with no where affordable to live. They are ALL like that here. Southern Calif is no different. Then they will import felons from LA since MT isn't "diverse" enough. They did here in Vermont! Here in VT they hung the flag out for illegals and violent felons from Springfield MA to come and get the free hand outs. Vermont USED to be a safe apple pie state. Here is proof of what happened here in VT. Don't let this happen to your fine state. Refuse to sell your land and houses to people who don't want to assimilate.

Leicester, Vermont - Shooting, Pursuit, Stolen Vehicle, Assault | Driving Laws, DUI and Crime on the Road

Alphecca: Shooting Rampage in Vermont (http://alphecca.com/mt_alphecca_archives/002550.html - broken link)

Vermont workers can't afford to live here | North America > United States from AllBusiness.com (http://www.allbusiness.com/personal-finance/real-estate/4083332-1.html - broken link)

Last edited by expatvermonter; 03-04-2009 at 12:17 AM.. Reason: spell

Old 03-04-2009, 08:50 AM

108 posts, read 236,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxnbulldog View Post
Those are nice, sensible ideas. Some folks move when looking to conquer a new kingdom as you suggest (the hardcores, left or right..mostly left since I lean right). Feel free to give them a head-smack for me.

But some move simply because they are tired of all the BS that those same hardcores have created in the place they are looking to get away from. They may be moving to Montana because it represents what they have either a) lost or b) always wanted in a place to live. IOW, don't paint them all with the same brush. Maybe they are looking for just exactly what you have created and enjoy.
Thank you.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 AM

3,023 posts, read 2,863,256 times
Just be aware of the cultures and demographics
of the place you are moving to. Period.

Saves everyone time and effort.

Unless many of you are moving there over a long period of time, it won't
change. (good point, Grizzfan) And good luck if you *think* you're going to be
the first of the New Wave coming in.

I've seen people here on C-D post:
"Hello everyone, I'm from ______ and I want to find a place just like _______ but sunnier and less expensive."

Which is fine but surely the cloudy, expensive part of _______ is an integral part of the place. So keep that in mind.

And only moving for the money or weather isn't worth it (in my mind) if you're confined to your house and can't make any friends.

SIDE NOTE:
Theres this thing called the experiment of the states
where each state is considered an ongoing social experiment
on what works for the nation as a whole. It doesn't help
that model to mix everybody up...and if the place you're fleeing
has problems related to the politics or etc of the region...you
may not want to be bringing them with you to begin with.

Old 03-04-2009, 11:08 AM

9,523 posts, read 7,782,324 times
I agree with much of what the OP had to say, except the part about Subarus and Birkenstocks.
There are a LOT of Subarus on the roads in Montana. They are the best vehicle since the AMC Eagle AWD cars for the roads around here, especially in the winter.
I know quite a few people who wear Birk SHOES, not sandals, because they have found that the Birk shoes are very good for people who are on their feet a lot.
Actually, Volvo cars are gaining in acceptance, probably due to their safety rating and overall quality.
We drive Jeeps.
But then, we aren't "Native Montanans". But our kids are!

Old 03-04-2009, 11:59 AM

281 posts, read 393,528 times
I was with you on point 1. You lost me after you started imposing your will on me. I wouldn't force you to drive a hybrid or agree with my political views if you moved to my city, I don't appreciate you doing it to me. Thanks.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:33 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,870,919 times
When a person moves to another location they can't keep from changing the place they are moving to, even if they fit just fine and are well accepted by the locals. Just by you being there now, when you weren't there before changes the place. It's all a matter of sticking stuff in peoples faces that people object to.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:09 PM

989 posts, read 3,127,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
... It's all a matter of sticking stuff in peoples faces that people object to.
I hear what you're saying and agree. I just hate that we are so hard on new people around here. I understand why its that way after seeing what has happened to Bozeman and Zootown, but it still feels so hateful. We think these new people are strange for the cars they drive and the clothes they wear but they must think we are just as strange. I know we were here first but Im not sure that gives us the right to lower ourselves to being hateful towards them.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:59 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,475,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
When a person moves to another location they can't keep from changing the place they are moving to, even if they fit just fine and are well accepted by the locals. Just by you being there now, when you weren't there before changes the place. It's all a matter of sticking stuff in peoples faces that people object to.
This is true, but its the people who left one place and go out of their way to make the new place the same that are the problem. I moved from socal to a small town in Oklahoma. We paid the going local rate for the house. I keep the lawn mowed as the town is so insistant about but don't try to make my house look out of place. It took a little getting used to but now I embrase the no hurry lifestyle. I don't dress down or up (actually wear what I did in socal which was dressing down). I've been wonderfully welcomed.

Personally I came here because I liked it like it is. I'd be pretty annoyed at someone who had to have the mcmansion and didn't like the streetlights not being bright and wanted this or that. I agree with the op that when you move to a very different place look and think first. If your not sure rent and leave your options open. If its got to be turned into where you came from you won't be happy anyway.

I realized how much I liked it here when I went back to California to visit and couldn't wait to escape. This is my home and yes, I object to those who want to make it different since they didn't come here for what was here. Yes, you change a place by your presence, but if you have an agenda you should have stayed where you came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana