Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:39 PM

99 posts, read 316,515 times

Advertisements

Oh, and I'm not trying to turn you off from Montana. Just the attitude that anyone needs to accept you the way you are. There are three possible votes on that: Accept, reject and ignore.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:06 PM

989 posts, read 3,511,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavy_heart View Post
I'm still going to dress and talk and eat and believe in whatever, exactly like I have been.
Nope. We wont let you. The trees have eyes. We know who you are and where you live. When new folks get here we tap into their drinking water and force them to drink what we call the "indoctrination therapy".
At first it just makes you a little light headed, but after several days you find yourself strangely attracted to old trucks and wheat fields. After two or three weeks of "indoctrination therapy" you start wearing cowboy boots and a bandana around your neck, you also start saying stuff like, "ovar thar!" and "Didja know dat?" You'll say "Narth" instead of North. You'll say "fark" instead of fork.
No, you wont come here and not change. We know how to assimilate folks to be just like us, even your kids. They get fed an extra dose of the "indoctrination therapy" in their Halloween candy. The only way to not ingest this stuff is to bring your own water. Even then you may get hit with it as we have an annual "crop-dusting" each spring to catch the ones who may have slipped through the cracks.

I may have said more than I should have-- I just wanted to let you in on the secret.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 PM

24 posts, read 79,331 times
I'm very familiar with "subtle discrimination". As a conservative homeschool graduate and #2 of 9, I try to be careful what I say when I meet new people until they get to know me, especially in the town I'm in. People immediately make judgments about me and misinterpret my behavior for the worst. I imagine it's like that in Montana. I've even encountered it in Nebraska: the older generation trying to keep strict control on who comes to our town. Unfortunately their plan is backfiring and people are leaving the towns, the schools are failing, people are losing their jobs. In the end they screw themselves. Montana is growing fast and it's changing whether people like it or not. If they like their growing cities they can move to a new place they like better. That's what all the "outsiders" did.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 AM

99 posts, read 316,515 times
All rings true except the growing fast part.

Estimated 2006 population: 944,632
Change from 2000: +42,437
Births 2000-2006: 70,509
Deaths 2000-2006: 52,472
Internal migration 2000-2006: +24,944
International migration 2000-2006: +2,092
2005 housing units: 428,357
Housing units change from 2000-2005: +15,133
Land area: 145,552 square miles

42,000 NET population growth in six years? California has that many ILLEGAL immigrants from Mexico every week. (Though allegedly we are experiencing negative population growth.) I don't think Montana is in any danger of being over-run any time soon. Overtaken by crazy liberal thinking? Maybe. But I doubt that too.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 AM

6,741 posts, read 8,502,920 times
Like the old saying, "When in Ronan do as the Ronanans do" or something like that.
Or was it Rome....

Old 10-29-2009, 12:18 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,078,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
the "indoctrination therapy"... At first it just makes you a little light headed, but after several days you find yourself strangely attracted to old trucks and wheat fields. After two or three weeks of "indoctrination therapy" you start wearing cowboy boots and a bandana around your neck, you also start saying stuff like, "ovar thar!"
Dang, now how are we going to keep them thar ferriners from fittin' in, when you go tellin' all our secrets to every Yank that comes along?

Now, gimme another swig o' that indoctrination juice.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:40 PM

29 posts, read 112,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdog View Post
...Overtaken by crazy liberal thinking? Maybe. But I doubt that too.
I used to doubt that too, until I came here and
was shocked at the neoliberal fanatical fuzzy Obamanites. Look at all the politicians: D's, false conservatives, and Cap & Trade traitors (Baucus), and "Yes We Can!" stickers. What happened to Western Montana? The hippies invaded and took over the government. I can't make this stuff up, come and see for yourself.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:46 PM

8,083 posts, read 15,078,456 times
We called Missoula "north Berkeley" even back when I was a kid in the 1960s. The hippies ain't news. But in my opinion the hippies (having no real influence even at their peak) did far less damage than the new era of liberal yuppies, who actually have the money, education, and resources to make their nanny-state policies dominate the scene.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 112,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
We called Missoula "north Berkeley" even back when I was a kid in the 1960s. The hippies ain't news. But in my opinion the hippies (having no real influence even at their peak) did far less damage than the new era of liberal yuppies, who actually have the money, education, and resources to make their nanny-state policies dominate the scene.
Rich yuppies, sons and daughters of those hippies. Yeah, and now they are trying to ban trapping in Montana. Soon they will ban this and that, and this and that...

On a better note: the huckleberries are to die for! I have juniper berries to make homemade gin, and actually foraged enough choke berries to make wine.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:10 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 5,363,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kibitzJoe View Post
....... People immediately make judgments about me and misinterpret my behavior for the worst.
I complained about the same thing when I lived in Ohio, Illinois, California, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Nebraska until my wife pointed out that it wasn't "them". I have since determined not to make the same mistake in Montana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana