Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 07:04 AM

99 posts, read 317,468 times

Advertisements

You're right, I over stated my case and came across whiney. I apologize.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:48 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
Tough stock in most of Montana. Don't expect a welcome mat but then don't let that stop you from seeking what you are looking for. Start a new thread and lets get reaquainted. I have lots of "newbie" stories BTW my insurance agent has lived here for 35 years, the locals still refer to him as being "not from here" Who cares?

Old 03-20-2009, 05:26 PM

247 posts, read 538,020 times
Default You make people sound really intolerant there, Is that why you "left" vermont?

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatvermonter View Post
I read all these posts about bashing "outsiders" moving to Montana, and let me say I have first hand experience with people ruining my home state of VT. Here is how to NOT ruin things if you move from NY, NJ, MA, IL, CA to a rural state.

1) Refuse to pay $350K for that new 3 Br rancher. Tell the seller that it is only worth $120K and that is all you will pay. If you are willing (and can) pay overinflated prices you have just ruined the market for someone who can only afford a reasonable mortgage. Build simple, cheap and green. The locals will respect you for it (no McMansions).

2) Leave your "liberal" mentality in CA! This does not mean you have to like Bush or Rush. People in the rural areas generally don't want extreme left or right thinking/politics. They are mostly center of the road pro-constitution.

3) Don't get involved in politics. Let the state be run the way it has been. If you like right wing bible thumping move to Mississippi or Tennesse. If you like diversity (gang-bangers and hip hop) move to LA. If you like constitutional freedom move to ID, MT, VT. There are states that match your like and dislikes. It is a big country, but don't move to an area to change things.

4) Rural people own and carry handguns for self defense. If you don't like it stay in NY City where it is safe under Mayor Bloomberg. We don't want a police heavy state in Montana or Vermont!

5) Subarus, Volvos, Birkinstocks, North Face, Latte do not belong in rural areas. It is like wiping the greed and excesses in the faces of the locals. This does not mean you need to shop Walmart for your fashions and wear a dirty cammo baseball hat. If you move here buy a utilitarian vehicle (Jeep, Small Pick-up Etc), get some new Carharts, a woodstove and live simply. Country does not mean being a redneck. Just dress down and be humble, not loud and pretentious. Save your cash for future emergencies. Greed is not welcome in the simple country lifestyle!

6) Don't blast hip-hop or wear your pants around your ankles. NO ONE here wants to hear it, believe me!
How about just live free and respect others if you move there, then maybe they will respect you.Dont turn it into New York there.Nobody owns a state.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:46 AM

281 posts, read 869,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogdog View Post
I'd like to have a nicely appointed 2500 square foot home on five to twenty acres where I can own a horse or two again, scratch around on a tractor and enjoy my life.

Do I need to pass an interview before I throw my 35 firearms in my pickup and roll up there from my current address in San Diego?

Seriously people, I don't want to bother you but, you Montanans throw more hate than anyone I've ever heard on your fellow Americans. Many of whom are refugees forced from their homeland. I was born in LA, grew up in the high desert, served six in your NAVY and stuck in San Diego for twenty years. But, sadly, I have more or lesss white skin and don't speak Mexican so am not welcome here any longer. I won't be welcome there either but at least with some land around me, I'll have a reasonable field of fire.

You guys tell me, If you wanted me to stay where I am, where were you for the last thirty years while we were screaming for help with this border issue? Now, I'm only going to live another thirty or so years. Believe me, I'm easier to put up with than 25 illegals living in a three bedroom next door. I'm not going to **** on your lawn or steal your patio furnature. I promise. I do tend to vote every time I get a chance. I hope that's ok with you folks.
Come on up then. You know, I am not a native to Montana, but been living here about 2 1/2 years now. We came up and didn't care to change a thing, but to acclimate and blend in.

I'm a midwesterner, who moved to California for a few years. The place chewed me up and spit me out. After spending years, attempting to gain stability in the SF bay area, we decided to come up and be with our family who is already in Montana.

I experienced way more hardship in California. I experienced intolerance, violence, and so much more than I care to remember. My life up here is very good. I am blessed to be here. It's quiet. I appreciate the land and the people here. I have no desire to change how Montana is because I love it as it is.

You will meet alot of good folks here, who are accepting of you as long as they can see you're not up here with some agenda. My husband had no trouble what so ever getting a job on his california ID. He was treated with respect. There's alot of folks who don't care for the californians coming, and that's ok. I see why, it's cause they've come up here, done their house flipping, shoved their anti hunting attitudes onto a demographic that is pro hunting, and pushed their political issues, pro bikes on the road, gotta have that starbucks.....etc on to the natives.

You'll do fine, and you'll enjoy life in Montana as long as you leave it as it is.
Even though I'm a transplant, I can't tolerate people who come up here with an agenda and little respect for the locals.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 8,586 times
Boy do I agree with that! And where did you get off talking about Montanan's like that! WE don't mind our kids wearing baggy jeans, they can dress in those clothess after all the farm work and chores are done around here! Chances are they are gonna need to wear something comfortable at the end of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
One way to not ruin Montana would be to not move here from Vermont and start telling folks how to dress, talk and act.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:12 PM

4 posts, read 8,586 times
Road dog, Come on up to Montana and enjoy yourself! We actually are a big hearted people, not the haters you are reading about here! My family moved up here 40 years ago from scal also! we were not disparaged at all by Montanan's!!!!! And, we are not worried about Obama because it wasn't he that took your money in California it was GOv Grey Davis.... Remember him??? That guy screwed your wallet in California and California Lifestyle????? Not Obama!

Old 03-22-2009, 05:55 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,669,648 times
Dilion is a very pretty place. Looked it over for a time. Thanks for kind words on the board.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:26 PM

19 posts, read 23,990 times
Soooo, I'd like to think that, if you move here, it's more about where your head IS at than simply being an " Outsider"..... BUT... If I have to be one, can I be Dallas... Never was much of a Pony boy fan.... STAY GOLD!

Last edited by REDBE75; 03-24-2009 at 03:54 PM..

Old 03-30-2009, 09:16 AM

5 posts, read 23,067 times
Well, here I sit reading as much as I can about Montana. I'm a VN vet, retired, single, living in Georgia only because I am helping out my daughter and husband as they readjust to civilian life from an Air Force lifestyle in Okinawa. I last lived in California when I helped my mother find an assisted living situation. Knowing I was going to drive here (2,500 miles), and gas prices were at $4.50 a gallon, I bought a car from a friend for the trip. Now I have to tell you that I have owned more American cars and trucks than you can shake a stick at. The car I bought is a 27 year old, diesel powered Mercedes, with a 4speed transmission. The folks here in Georgia gave me a little crap about it, but just in fun.

So, if you see me pull in to town, you can say what you want. It won't bother me.

Old 03-30-2009, 02:45 PM

1,436 posts, read 3,301,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habu View Post
The car I bought is a 27 year old, diesel powered Mercedes, with a 4speed transmission. The folks here in Georgia gave me a little crap about it, but just in fun.

So, if you see me pull in to town, you can say what you want. It won't bother me.
Just don't wash the road grime off... you'll fit right in ! A couple dents won't hurt either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana