U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-15-2009, 02:05 AM
Status: "I think NWA is the place for me!!" (set 4 days ago)

730 posts, read 578,583 times
Default Montana winters

Where in Montana has the mildest winters? The least snow? Not much wind? More sunshine in the winter? Thanks for the help in advance.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 04:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,405,125 times
Rule out the eastern side
There is a banana belt, Libby but it has its own particular issue, good luck.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:21 AM

6,040 posts, read 6,535,698 times
Some of the mildest winter areas as far as temps go also seem to get a lot of snow such as the low elevation parts of western Montana. Along with that come dreary winter skies. The part of Montana where I dwell has tons of sunshine most of the year but it can get extremely windy at times. The winter temps in my area can be much colder or much warmer than western Montana depending on where the wind is coming from. It can range from 35 below zero to 60 above during the winter. Summer can be very hot, windy and dusty or perfect, you can never tell what it's going to do from one day to the next. The west side of the Rockies in the summer can be wonderful but when fire season starts the air fills with nasty smoke. Much of the smoke actually comes from neighboring states to the west and southwest as well as from fires burning in Montana. Here are a few pics from Montana.
#1 - driving down a dirt forest service road west of the divide.
#2 - A view over the countryside in western Montana.
#3 - My only ride, an 85 Toyota parked out back in Conrad Montana.
#4 - Prickly Pear Cactus in North Central Montana near Lake Elwell.
Attached Thumbnails
Montana winters-294-pics-049.jpg   Montana winters-294-pics-057.jpg   Montana winters-294-pics-114.jpg   Montana winters-294-pics-155.jpg  

Old 03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Status: "I think NWA is the place for me!!" (set 4 days ago)

730 posts, read 578,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Some of the mildest winter areas as far as temps go also seem to get a lot of snow such as the low elevation parts of western Montana. Along with that come dreary winter skies. The part of Montana where I dwell has tons of sunshine most of the year but it can get extremely windy at times. The winter temps in my area can be much colder or much warmer than western Montana depending on where the wind is coming from. It can range from 35 below zero to 60 above during the winter. Summer can be very hot, windy and dusty or perfect, you can never tell what it's going to do from one day to the next. The west side of the Rockies in the summer can be wonderful but when fire season starts the air fills with nasty smoke. Much of the smoke actually comes from neighboring states to the west and southwest as well as from fires burning in Montana. Here are a few pics from Montana.
#1 - driving down a dirt forest service road west of the divide.
#2 - A view over the countryside in western Montana.
#3 - My only ride, an 85 Toyota parked out back in Conrad Montana.
#4 - Prickly Pear Cactus in North Central Montana near Lake Elwell.
Thank you Rickers. That was a big help. Nice pictures!

Old 03-20-2009, 05:49 PM

914 posts, read 2,339,992 times
I was actually very disappointed with the lack of snow is Missoula when we lived there. We got a lot of light dustings, but nothing that really stuck around for too long.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:42 PM

41 posts, read 88,154 times
I read somewhere online that Missoula is something like the 7th least windy city in the U.S. We really don't get windy days very often.
However, we do get very cloudy/gray days often.

I grew up in NorthEastern Montana, and the winters there are brutal compared to Missoula/Western MT. Eastern Montana, especially NorthEastern Montana is very snowy and very windy. Ick.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,345,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
I was actually very disappointed with the lack of snow is Missoula when we lived there. We got a lot of light dustings, but nothing that really stuck around for too long.
You can have some snow from Lincoln. I'm pretty sure I will have snow hills in my yard 4th of July.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:09 PM

1,075 posts, read 1,345,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliottmew View Post
I read somewhere online that Missoula is something like the 7th least windy city in the U.S. We really don't get windy days very often.
However, we do get very cloudy/gray days often.

I grew up in NorthEastern Montana, and the winters there are brutal compared to Missoula/Western MT. Eastern Montana, especially NorthEastern Montana is very snowy and very windy. Ick.

Livingston, Great Falls, Billings, now those are windy places. I never considered Missoula to be windy.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:39 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,535,698 times
Talking Scared or crazy ?

View from our rig's shotgun seat, driving over Evaro hill coming back from Missoula for groceries, We've done this so many times we couldn't count the trips. We're going 45 mph in 4 wheel drive, Yee haw ! Ya gotta love winter, it separates the scared from the crazy !

Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 AM

369 posts, read 940,368 times
One of the mildest places in Montana is at the confluance of the Clark Fork and Flathead Rivers in NW Montana. Not much there but you will notice quite an industry growing vegetables in hot houses. The town of Paradise is near there, (a couple of bars only) and a few miles further west is Plains - a nice little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana