U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 05:10 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,409,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
We are coming west on a driving vacation, planning on going thru your state. Where would those of you from Montana say are best areas to get a real feel for the state?

[FWIW, we are not eastern liberals but very conservative, retired, live on a couple of acres backed up to a cornfield and the entire family is pro-gun -- all competitive shooters, some hunters, most with carry permits, the rest competition with rifle ]
Great advice from the board, remember to keep one eye on your map, Mapquest IMO doesn't cut it. Often that road is an approach that becomes a farm road, that becomes a cow path enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2009, 07:50 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,541,720 times
I use four types of maps. I have a very hard to get topo map of the Flathead Rez. I have almost every National forest map for Montana national forests and I never go anywhere without my DeLorme Montana Atlas and Gazetteer. I bought mine at Albertsons for about 20 bucks.
Another nice place to visit is the Ross Creek grove of giant Cedars. There are 500 year old Western red Cedars that are 175 feet tall and 8 feet in diameter.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:09 PM

3,906 posts, read 5,459,740 times
Thanks for the idea of using Forest Service maps. I think that is useful anywhere!

Old 05-30-2009, 09:55 AM

1 posts, read 551 times
Yeah, while you're at it, stop at a world-wide destination spot for lovers of
Hot mineral springs. The town of Hot Springs, between Missoula and Kalispell, has
some of the finest mineral waters in the world, second to Baden Baden, Germany.
It's a great Base Camp for camping, renting hotel or motel rooms - then venturing
out to the populous places by day, returning at night to soak, eat, antique, nap,
repeat. No kidding - in five days people's faces change. MOD Cut

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-01-2009 at 08:00 AM..

Old 05-30-2009, 04:39 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,541,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonemaker View Post
Yeah, while you're at it, stop at a world-wide destination spot for lovers of Hot mineral springs. The town of Hot Springs, between Missoula and Kalispell, has some of the finest mineral waters in the world, second to Baden Baden, Germany. It's a great Base Camp for camping, renting hotel or motel rooms - then venturing out to the populous places by day, returning at night to soak, eat, antique, nap, repeat. No kidding - in five days people's faces change. I'll be your hostess: LoriAnne 406-741-5277
Hot Springs was a great little town until it got infested with heroin addicts and meth freaks. One of the soaking tubs is not as nice as it looks at first. I won't name it here but the guy who runs it sits in there and shaves, tells tourists that he is God and will stomp on your little dog if it comes near the tubs. I started to go to that tub and as I got near I noticed that there were two guys in there by themselves having sex with each other. Lovely little Hot Springs isn't so nice anymore.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,521,781 times
Drive over the Sun highway in Glacier for sure. It might be out of the way, but boy is it worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana