Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,769,931 times

Advertisements

We are coming west on a driving vacation, planning on going thru your state. Where would those of you from Montana say are best areas to get a real feel for the state?

[FWIW, we are not eastern liberals but very conservative, retired, live on a couple of acres backed up to a cornfield and the entire family is pro-gun -- all competitive shooters, some hunters, most with carry permits, the rest competition with rifle ]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 09:25 AM

6,023 posts, read 13,993,031 times
Drive the smaller state highways rather than the big interstates. I would suggest crossing the state via hwy 12 or hwy 200. Visit Some of the state parks and the Bison range. However long you plan to spend in Montana, double or triple it and you'll still need to come back to see more. Do the speed limit while driving through Montana. The Montana highway patrol are very effective and diligent at their duties.

Old 03-16-2009, 09:16 PM

6,743 posts, read 8,505,644 times
You need to be a little more specific in what activities you enjoy and what you are looking for.

If you are interested in Palentology, northe east corner of the state. Malta, Glendive, Fort Peck, and Makosika.

If you like history, Custer Battlefield at Crow Agency, South Central near Billings, Bear Paw Battlefield Northern tier at Chinook, The old mining camps of Virginia City and Bannock in the Southwest.

Geology, The Lewis and Clark Caverns in the West/Central part of the State near Bozeman and the Berkly Pit and School of Mining in Butte.

Wildlife is just about everywhere, but some places have different species. The eastern plains are full of Pronghorn Antelope, Mule Deer, White Tail Deer along the River Bottoms, Hundreds of Bird and small mammal species.
Move to the North West, Glacier Park offers a good chance of seeing Bighorn Sheep, Mountain Goats, Grizzly and Black Bear.
Driving along the continental Divide and you will perhaps see Shiras or "Wyoming" Moose.

Yellowstone still has some buffalo, and lots of wolves. The thermal features are spectacular.

If you like horseback riding there are multiple business' across the state, and guided hiking tours. You can float the rivers in rafts, or shoot the rapids in kayaks.
Camping is great anywhere in the state, very different climates and vistas. I will say you will never see more stars than a moonless night on the high prairie.

Most of the rivers offer outstanding fishing for multiple species, both warm and cold water.
If you enjoy firearms there are a few manufacturers in the state including the Shilo Sharps facility in Big Timber,(South Central).

If you give a little more information about what you enjoy or would like to do, I can help with some points of interest, some not on the usual tourist spot maps.

This state is well worth exploring, But you won't do it in a week or 2, I have been exploring for a lifetime, and I am just getting started.

Old 03-17-2009, 06:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,620,828 times
Very good post! Can't rep ya, but
And remember to look up at the night sky, nearly every night I see at least one shooting star! Enjoy your visit.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:58 AM

Look at swampy areas and drive slowly past them and you may see one of these big goofy looking critters. Moose love to stand in wetland swampy openings in the forest and eat the water plants.
Alces alces shirasi aka Shiras or Wyoming Moose don't really like the high country and don't really hang out along the continental divide all that much if at all. The divide areas that are accessible to a vehicle, (I know of at least 20 places where roads cross the divide in Montana) are really areas that you may see sheep and goats on the rocky areas as well as the flats meadows. Here is a Moose for ya.
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for where to come when you visit-moose-3.bmp  

Old 03-17-2009, 11:09 AM

369 posts, read 1,449,278 times
I've posted this before, but do not miss the Beartooth Highway from Red Lodge to Cook City as a way to enter Yellowstone National Park. Then exit the Park at Gardner (North Entrance) and drive the Paradise Valley Highway along the Yellowstone River (US89) North to Livingston. Spectacular views. Livingston is an interesting town and if you are there July 2, 3, or 4th there is the Livingston Roundup, a first class Rodeo. But call ahead for tickets; they go fast. Just google for information.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:20 AM

281 posts, read 866,196 times
My favorite drive is all the way up hwy 93 to Kalispell. Some breathtaking scenery, peaceful, and nice places to stop and get out. I think Polson is one of my favorite places to stop near flathead lake.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart View Post
My favorite drive is all the way up hwy 93 to Kalispell. Some breathtaking scenery, peaceful, and nice places to stop and get out. I think Polson is one of my favorite places to stop near flathead lake.
Going from Lakeside to Somer on the right at a few spots you can see where the glacier carved smooth horizontal grooves in the bedrock.
On hwy 2 west of Kalispell near Kila are some chain link fenced off areas on the cliffs next to the highway. There is a turnout or two for parking. There are some very nice pictographs there.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:05 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,769,931 times
Thanks for tips. I have lived in my state my entire life and still will never see it all.... asking locals is the best way to find out what a state has. If I just read up on Montana, I'd get the touristy hype. That is easy... they write guides for tourists and forget the "good stuff".

MTSilvertip, thanks very much for the suggestions... While things like parks and historical places were on the list, my husband is excited to know the Sharps factory is there. I know he'll look into it!

Old 03-18-2009, 10:35 PM

65 posts, read 205,483 times
Enjoy your trip. And hwy 93 viewing is beautiful - Mission Mountains, Flathead Lake, and then Kalispell just south of Glacier Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana