Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2009, 05:30 PM

2 posts, read 13,594 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've lived here a while, in Kalispell, and I used to live over in C-Falls, but I was a kid then and don't go out that way much cause my car's not so great. But me and my husband recently bought guns and would like somewhere to target practice. The problem is where to go? I know there's a shooting range somewhere between Kalispell and Whitefish, but we'd rather not do that. I know there's places to shoot in the woods around C-Falls, because me and my family used to do it some when I was a kid. Problem is, I was a kid then and paid no attention to where we were going, and I have trouble remembering things like that. My husband is from out of state and doesn't know anywhere around here to do it at. Is there anyone here who can give me directions to a decent spot of woods we can get to easily that we can shoot at? I just want to make sure I'm doing it in a spot that's ok to do it at, like I'd hate to be shooting and have someone come tell us we're on their land and to get off.

So any help with directions to somewhere reasonably close (I have a junky car) would be greatly appreciated. Basically anywhere in the Kalispell/Whitefish/C-Falls area would be nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Sure, there are many places. We usually go up the North Fork road a couple of miles outside C-Falls and make a left on one of the dirt roads before Blankenship. The other place we go is out past the hungry horse ranger station by the motocross track.
There's also a shooting range about 2 miles outside C-Falls on the north fork road. It costs something like $25 a year to join and I've never seen anyone out there we we've gone.
Let me know if you need more ideas, there's plenty of woods out there!

Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
Please don't shoot at targets put up onto nice healthy trees. Find a large stump to mount the target. Trees that are harvested with a bunch of bullets in the wood don't make for a happy logger or sawmill operators. If you own the trees and the land then who cares but you. I like targets made from steel that ping and spin when you hit it. Also it's a good idea to not leave your shell casings where you shoot. Pick them up and either reload or recycle the brass.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:10 PM

2 posts, read 13,594 times
Thank you, jimj, that was most helpful. We went out today where you said and found a great spot almost immediately.

And to Rickers, don't worry, we will always clean up after ourselves and take care of trees.

Old 03-22-2009, 06:50 PM

193 posts, read 463,484 times
How long of a distance can you shoot at these ranges?

Thanks!

Old 03-23-2009, 06:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broz View Post
How long of a distance can you shoot at these ranges?

Thanks!
Well, at the range in C-Falls they have a buffalo made out of sheet steel and I believe it's set out at 500 yards. At that range you can shoot pretty much as far as you want to walk to put up a target.

Old 03-23-2009, 08:12 AM

Great , good to know, Thanks! As long as fire risk is at an acceptable level rocks way out there make good targets for your long range rifles. With of corse the proper back setting for safety. If they are out there a bit you can usually get back on the scope after recoil to see the hit.

I will add that for those close enough to Conrad Joe Starnes of "Long shot Precision Rifles" Has a great range. Not sure who he will let use it but he is a great smth too. Joe built me a great rifle. When I picked it up he took me out there to test it. Lots of steel to bang on in a variety on distances.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:28 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,067,614 times
I like steel targets that spin when you hit them, then slowdown quickly and stick straight up for the next shot. I designed a nice one but I was too lazy to produce it. I may weld it up this summer.

Old 03-27-2009, 10:06 PM

I like banging steel too. It is great to see the hit and then wait for the "Clank" to return. Here is a target from Joe's Range with a 3 shot group from my .338 Lapua. Kinda of a big target 36" , but it is 2100 yards away.

Last edited by Broz; 03-27-2009 at 10:25 PM..

Old 03-28-2009, 12:02 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,162,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miba View Post
But me and my husband recently bought guns and would like somewhere to target practice. The problem is where to go?
Well, tourist season IS coming up soon...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana