U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 08:34 PM

7 posts, read 14,055 times

Advertisements

My children and I are planning a move to your beautiful state soon and I was wondering if anyone could tell me more about the deaf community. My youngest child is deaf and while I am hoping to find a smaller town outside of Great Falls, I would like to involve her when possible within the deaf community.
Also any suggestions of small towns surrounding Great Falls would be a great help! Thank you for any suggestions you may have. Blessings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM

5 posts, read 7,750 times
Try at Montana School for the Deaf & Blind in Great Falls if they can help you to find an informatiom.

[url=http://msdb.mt.gov//]Montana School for Deaf & Blind Children[/url]

Good luck if you both will move to Montana

Old 03-25-2009, 07:56 PM

3911 Central Ave or 800-882-6732

Let me know if you need help

Old 03-25-2009, 08:51 PM

Thank you for your help. I have sent out an e-mail to them. Hopefully I'll hear back from them soon.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 AM

7,539 posts, read 12,561,181 times
Dunno what it's like today, but in the '60s I used to live a block from the old Deaf & Blind school over on 32nd St.So. (anyone know if that building is still there, and if so what it's being used for now? fantastic old structure), and sometimes I'd play with the kids there (I wasn't much older at the time). They seemed happy enough, which I suppose is a good sign.

Probably any of the small towns around Great Falls, or even in GtF itself, are a good bet. Every small town in MT has its own character, and one might appeal more than the next, so come take a look before you decide.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, I'm Danny Boy View Post
3911 Central Ave or 800-882-6732

Let me know if you need help
Is that the old East Jr. High School building?? or am I lost?

Old 03-26-2009, 01:35 PM

For KYMOM4.

Welcome. And your son can attend to that school if you want to. MSDB is a small school about 50 students. I don't know much about the deaf community but MSDB and the deaf center community will be happy to help you for your son.

For Reziac.

MSDB's old building was torn down about 20 or 25 years ago but MSDB have a new school, cottage, and student center with bowling, gym, pool, other. Yes, next to the East Junior High School.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:31 PM

Thanks for your help. My daughter is mainstreamed, now and once we move she will continue to be mainstreamed. However we are involved in several different activities through our School for the deaf and I am hoping that we can continue that once we move there. My kids and I are planning a trip this summer to the Great Falls area, to look around and check things out before our big move. We like small town, I don't have to see my neighbors house to know their there.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, I'm Danny Boy View Post
MSDB's old building was torn down about 20 or 25 years ago but MSDB have a new school, cottage, and student center with bowling, gym, pool, other. Yes, next to the East Junior High School.
Oh, that makes me so sad... that was a magnificent old building. I suppose the land was a lot more valuable turned into townhouses, like they did the vacant lots that used to be immediately to its north and east. That area was set up to turn into skating rinks in winter, and the dikes made great bike riding fun in summer, and part of it was also used as a baseball diamond -- and the slope near the main entrance was just right for sledding in winter, and the bushy landscaping was great for playing hide and seek in summer -- so all year round, one way or another, its grounds were the main playground for every kid in the neighbourhood, far better than any park. Of course, kids don't get to just be kids that way so much anymore.

But it probably was time to move the MSDB to a newer facility regardless

Old 03-26-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMOM4 View Post
Thanks for your help. My daughter is mainstreamed, now and once we move she will continue to be mainstreamed. However we are involved in several different activities through our School for the deaf and I am hoping that we can continue that once we move there. My kids and I are planning a trip this summer to the Great Falls area, to look around and check things out before our big move. We like small town, I don't have to see my neighbors house to know their there.
That's cool -- personally I think it's best all around when a disabled person can live a regular life and not be cloistered!

The older residential neighbourhoods in GtF have almost a small-town feel (partly because most have big yards compared to what you see in newer developments, and in many of those older areas no two houses are alike); it's probably the quietest and most relaxed city of its size I've ever seen. And you have a lot of choices what with all the small farm towns a short drive out of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana