U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:10 AM

7,539 posts, read 12,562,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilovealways View Post
I said in a earlier post:
"Not a member of any animal rights groups, do agree with some issues - not all, do support ASPCA and donate money to local charities."
Then apparently you're not aware that ASPCA is now arm in arm with HSUS, and is engaging in much the same activities to inhibit animal ownership.

Or are you an HSUS supporter??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:57 AM

22 posts, read 42,287 times
I have supported The Human Society of the United States of America in the past, I receive regular emails from them, I don't see where they are trying to inhibit animal ownership. They go after puppymills (among others) - I support that - that's not pet ownership, thats mass production for profit and the dogs are in horrible conditions. I have been to puppymills and even the ones in the best of condition are still nightmares for the dogs.

Old 05-04-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilovealways View Post
I have supported The Human Society of the United States of America in the past, I receive regular emails from them, I don't see where they are trying to inhibit animal ownership. They go after puppymills (among others) - I support that - that's not pet ownership, thats mass production for profit and the dogs are in horrible conditions. I have been to puppymills and even the ones in the best of condition are still nightmares for the dogs.
Are you aware that HSUS advocates killing innocent puppies? Look up what they wanted done with dogs taken from accused dogfighters (all but one of whom proved innocent) -- yes, they wanted to kill even the newborn pups.

According to HSUS, almost all dog breeders are "puppy mills" but that is sheer propaganda designed to tug at the heartstrings and pursestrings of good-hearted people like yourself. If you really love animals, you need to look a little more closely at what HSUS is really about. They DO advocate an END of pet ownership, and in the past Wayne Pacelle has said so flat out. Also, are you aware that they take in over $125 MILLION every year -- enough to fund every animal shelter in America -- yet they use almost all their money to fund LOBBYISTS against animal use and ownership, and run ZERO shelters.

As to the notion that "puppy mills" are rampant and uniformly horrible -- there are a very few substandard breeders, but volume has absolutely nothing to do with standard of care. If you actually knew any USDA commercial breeders, you'd be amazed at how much more they know about animal husbandry than the average person or even the average show breeder, and at the excellent care they take of their animals.

Just as with any other livestock, poorly managed dogs produce few or no live healthy puppies, and without live healthy puppies, you have no sales. Brokers won't buy unhealthy pups -- there are too many sources for healthy pups, so why would they pay the same money for dogs they're going to take a loss on??

Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 AM

2 posts, read 2,453 times
Default Save the Horses

I am appalled by the complete disregard and lack of compassion for these beautiful animals that are sent to slaughter, where they are butchered, yes, butchered alive… Anyone who thinks that brutally bashing a horse’s head until it frantically falls to the ground; attaching one of its legs to a conveyor belt to hoist it upside down to take it to its final fate, and then finally slashing open the horse’s throat to skin it alive, must be a very, very sick person indeed…. The number one fallacy is that all these slaughter-bound horses are all old, decrepit and sick animals ready for the knackers’ yard. NOTE SO…The real truth is, yes, the real truth, they are mares in foal, they are mares with foals by their side; they are yearlings, they are 3 year olds; they are 6 year olds; they are discarded racehorses no longer able to bring in winnings for their uncompassionate, uncaring owners; they are show horses that fell into the wrong hands. We should be showering these wonderful animals with love and devotion instead of discarding them like an inanimate object that doesn’t feel fear or pain; the kind of excruciating pain they will soon feel as they are brutaly tortured and killed by these slaughterers, murderers.
A horse is one of but a few animals that works for its keep; the bond between a horse and its owner, devoted owner, is beyond explainable; where else can you feel as one when riding your best friend over the moors. There is no other animal like it in the world that would do what the horse does for its human companion. There is no such thing as a dangerous horse, only a trainer/handler hell bent on controlling such a magnificent creature; when you break a horse’s spirit with fear and abuse, that’s when you have a dangerous horse. The horse is the only true animal that can give its owner immeasurable pleasure, and what do we do for its loyalty and devotion, we butcher it without a second thought.
I hope they close all the slaughter plants down, and I don’t care if people lose their jobs; go get a decent job where you are not butchering animals. We need to close all the plants down and stop horses being shipped to Canada and Mexico… And another piece of information, it doesn’t cost thousands of dollars to put your sick or old horse down in a compassionate way. It’s called humanely euthanize your horse. I know, because I had to put my 32-year old horse down. It cost me a total of $300 and was worth every penny. Most any vet will let you make payments if you don’t have the money. There is no need for any horse to end up in an undignified, torturous slaughterhouse…The population of horses is not so that they need to be slaughtered to keep the numbers down as some people would have you believe. Also, for those that would have you believe that teuthanized horses will fill up landfills, there’s more human trash dumped in landfills every day to go round the earth a million times.
Let’s get real here, the only reason horses are sent to slaughter is for money. Horse slaughter is a money-making business. The horse’s welfare does not even come into play here. Let’s not forget that if it hadn’t been for the horse, wars would have been lost; mail would not have been delivered, and much more...They have paid their dues triple fold. They went to battle for us and lost their lives. They deserve so much better than what we humans are offering them at death. Let’s also remember the famous Kentucky Derby winner, Ferdinand, that won thousands for its owner, and ended up on a dinner plate in Japan…So, so sad…

I wish to quote the terror a horse feels, yes, FEELS AND SEES at a slaughter plant--These spent, injured and frightened horses’ final days are truly ugly. Horses are jammed into double-decker tractor- trailers and are hauled for hundreds—sometimes thousands—of miles to shoddy slaughterhouses. When they arrive, they are exhausted, hungry, thirsty and crazed with terror. During these grueling trips, many horses suffer from broken bones, gashes, eye infections and other ailments.

At the slaughterhouse, these extremely sensitive animals must watch the bloody kill line and listen to the agonized screams as the horses in front of them meet the knife. Reports have documented horses that were stabbed in the neck repeatedly until they were weak enough to be shackled and have their throats cut.
Let’s put a STOP TO THIS SHAMEFUL, BARBARIC SUFFERING...

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 AM

5,767 posts, read 10,274,189 times
Horse slaughter facilities aren't pretty places, but it is better to keep them as local as possible, under local regulations. They serve an important purpose. They allow horse-owners to recoup a bit of money when the horse is sold, which is obviously important in economic times like these.

And the truth is, while the US horsemeat market is small, it does exist, and at the moment, it is served almost entirely by grey-market imports from Europe or Canada. Why not localize some of that?

Old 12-15-2009, 07:00 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,340,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Horse slaughter facilities aren't pretty places, but it is better to keep them as local as possible, under local regulations. They serve an important purpose. They allow horse-owners to recoup a bit of money when the horse is sold, which is obviously important in economic times like these.

And the truth is, while the US horsemeat market is small, it does exist, and at the moment, it is served almost entirely by grey-market imports from Europe or Canada. Why not localize some of that?
I agree. The fact of the matter is, if a horse isn't making money on a ranch, they're loosing money. Can't do to much of that and stay in business.

They are livestock, not pets.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 12-15-2009, 07:31 AM

The people who are against horse slaughter simply cannot be educated; they've already made up their minds that it's invariably cruel and inhumane and barbaric. Of course, not a one of them is an equine professional who actually knows the business of horses, let alone the business of livestock.

Funny thing, you don't see any of them volunteering to provide a home for the rank horses that are bloody dangerous and are the majority of the knackers. But hey, they know best, right?

Hey! I've got an idea. Let's start a "Save the Dairy Bulls" club! All you need to do to join is volunteer to provide a nice pet home for an old dairy bull. (All the real dairymen are now running for the bull barrier...)

Old 12-15-2009, 09:19 AM

317 posts, read 942,287 times
It's one thing to love animals and it's quite another to be able to take care of them.

Horses are very expensive animals to keep. In down economic times, you always hear about people that own horses and are starving them to death by not providing enough food for them. Guess who many of the people charged with animal cruetly are - horse rescuers! Sure enough, the people that "rescued" horses sometimes run out of money themselves and allow the animals to starve because they can't get rid of them.

It's unfortunate but part of life....

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM

1,754 posts, read 3,696,829 times
Good Lord, according to our lone recent dissenter, those horses are amazing animals. Surviving being slaughtered alive, then skinned alive- all after being bashed in the head repeatedly and having it's throat slashed. Oh my. I wanna come back as a horse.
Sheesh.
I'm one of the few horse rescue/rehab people who are pro slaughter. And yeah, those who oppose have made up their minds and we mean ol' horse killers won't change it.
I don't know if i've shared my theory regarding those who voted to end US slaughter....
I think they should all have delivered, free of charge, two horses in various states of starvation/neglect, to their home. A ranch, small farm- shoot, let's not leave out those apartment/townhouse/suburb dwellers either. Two bad off pieces of horse flesh, that they have to care for, completely, until the good Lord calls 'em home. Payin' for vet, farrier, supplements, feed- you name it. They can never sell the animals, never make any money off of 'em- just keep shellin' it out. And after they die, the people get two more. And so on and so forth until this inundation of the horse market with horses unfit for use, this bottoming out of prices, the thousands and THOUSANDS of horses condemned to die a slow, painful death of starvation in someone's backyard- are all in good, cushy homes livin' the life of Riley. Oh wait. That won't work. The number of horses *saved* from the slaughter plants so vastly out numbers the amount of people who voted to close them that it'll mean more than two horses per person.
Let me crunch numbers and i'll get back to ya on that.

I say open 'em back up and regulate them- make sure it happens cleanly and as humanely as possible. Then the horse industry rebounds, the local economy takes a boost, animals aren't left to starve and the equine world can get back on an even keel.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:51 AM

1,754 posts, read 3,696,829 times
By the way, Amadeous- ya eat meat?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana