Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 2,688 times

Advertisements

Actually, no, I don't eat meat, and abviously you don't know anything about horses or the care of horses, or the commitment one gives to an animal to take care of it through health and through sickness. Let's start eating our dogs and cats. I mean what the hell...Where does this end?

I feel sorry for someone who obviously has no pitty or compassion for animals. There are other ways to kill animals, and that is not by beating it on the head and sticking knives in it and then stringing it up..I don't know how sleep at night. My concience is clear of any brutality towards any animal. I wonder if you could say the same...? I'm also sad that you call yourself a horseperson, becasue you are clearly not...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 11:27 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeous View Post
Actually, no, I don't eat meat, and abviously you don't know anything about horses or the care of horses, or the commitment one gives to an animal to take care of it through health and through sickness. Let's start eating our dogs and cats. I mean what the hell...Where does this end?

I feel sorry for someone who obviously has no pitty or compassion for animals. There are other ways to kill animals, and that is not by beating it on the head and sticking knives in it and then stringing it up..I don't know how sleep at night. My concience is clear of any brutality towards any animal. I wonder if you could say the same...? I'm also sad that you call yourself a horseperson, becasue you are clearly not...
I've raised many horses and loved them very much. But there is a time that they must go. Do you have horses or are you using brochures to discuss this rationally?

Yes, I have eaten dog, cat, and horse. All three are not bad at all. Matter of fact, the best meat I've found was cat.

My concience is completely clear.

By the way. I've been to the slaughter house and didn't see any of the things you mentioned. Where did you see it?

And yes, I am a horse person and I do know that putting down an animal humanely is the right thing to do in many cases.

Should we let them suffer for years instead of a a brief minute?

Old 12-24-2009, 11:46 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Yes, I have eaten dog, cat, and horse. All three are not bad at all. Matter of fact, the best meat I've found was cat.
I don't think I've had either but not sure as I've eaten lots of street stand food in Mexico (I was told once that the pork Taco I was eating was really dog by a stranger in TJ once.
My Mother however grew up in China and proudly told me of the meals she ate there that included horse, dog and cat.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Regurgitating PETA-speak (which frankly is just made up from thin air with no basis in fact, and PETA-etc. knows it) doesn't exactly increase your credibility, especially among folks who actually know the business.

People who are out to cause controversy like to call a captive-bolt pistol "beating it on the head" (neglecting to note that it takes exactly one blow from the pistol to be instantly fatal). Well, technically the bolt does beat a hole in the brain, same as a bullet does, it just has a very short range and no chance to ricochet off the walls. And they like to call kosher slaughter (instant death via a deeply cut throat) "sticking knives in it".. again technically "correct" but stated so as to inflame by increasing ignorance, rather than to inform objectively.

And since a lot of urbanites now view horses as "pets", the ARs focus on "abuse of slaughter horses" because that will shock those ignorant of the realities of agriculture. As if horses were somehow singled out for slaughterhouse abuse -- explain to me why ranchers don't beat their cows to death? Cows are a lot less likely to fight back than a horse! (ARs would have you believe that farmers enjoy beating cows and horses just for the hell of it.)

Anyone who knows the first thing about producing animals for slaughter also understands that you must minimize stress (especially travel stress), because stress equals weight loss, and you get paid by the pound. And anyone who knows the first thing about meat production also knows that under no circumstances do you stress the animal prior to or during slaughter, because the chemical residue of stress ruins the taste of the meat. Funny how the ARs like to ignore the basic economics at work here, which is that good treatment for the animal on its way to slaughter is also the only way to make a profit and thereby stay in business.

As to eating meat or not: the notion that we can all be vegetarians is bogus; it's not possible even were every scrap of arable land in crop production (and remember, about 2/3rds of the land mass of each continent is not suitable for crops, tho it IS suitable for grazing), but you'd run out of available water long before you ran out of arable land.

But the ultimate limiting factor on crop production is nitrogen. There are only two practical sources of nitrogen: natural gas, and manure. Point is, you can't produce enough crops to feed humanity -- not even at the level of medieval populations -- without that manure produced by animal agriculture. You can have animal agriculture without crops. But you can't have crops without animal agriculture.

Yet another reason why it's clear that the real goal of veganism is human extinction.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:24 PM

53 posts, read 122,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeous View Post
I went to a China Buffet that was busted by one of those dirty dining shows they have on local TV for serving stray cats and dogs (no joke). I went there on occasion so I might have eaten a poor fluffy cat or some stray (but tasty) pooch. My thoughts, as long as it taste good and it's cheap it's okay with me

Where does it end you ask? When the evil meat eaters have devoured the last bits of poor fido or fluffy and the only meat that is left are vegans. Obviously vegetarians should be afraid..... very afraid........

Old 12-24-2009, 02:35 PM

There was a pizza parlour in Great Falls that got busted a couple times back in the 1960s, for putting dog food on their pizza instead of hamburger. Turnabout is fair play, I say

Old 12-24-2009, 06:53 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,573,379 times
I find it depressing the evidenced disconnect between those who live in an urban environment, and actual animal husbandry as practiced by modern agriculture.

I blame a lot of it on old Disney cartoons like "Bambi" that use pure emotion, and no fact to sell their perception of "Nature".

Humans are omnivores. Like a bear or a pig, we can eat just about anything. Even a few things not fit for consuption by anything else. (Broccoli and califlower as examples).
Our teeth do not have heavy enough enamal for chewing plant matter such as grass with high silica or a large enough gut necessary to obtain food value from plant matter. Our teeth do not replace themselves like elephant teeth, or keep growing all our lives as they wear off like rodents teeth do.
Our teeth are designed to eat a little bit of everything. Look at how many kinds of teeth we have, for cutting, grinding, for ripping or tearing, or even cracking nuts. (not advisable, but it can be done)

Meat has vastly higher and more readily assumable protiens and fats for energy in a much smaller package. By consuming meat, we developed large brains because our food supplied enough protiens and fats. (very high energy food), to fuel the brain. It isn't necessary to eat vast quantities of meat to get the benefits. Most large herbavores do little else but eat because their diet is so nutrient poor.
Herbavores usually have much smaller brains than predators, they don't have to outthink their dinner, and the small food value of plant matter doesnt supply the necessary nutrients to fuel the body and still have enough energy left over for a large brain.

A couple million years ago there lived two hominid (Man-like apes) species. Austrolopithicus Gracile, and Austrolopithicus Robusto.

Robusto was larger, with heavy grinding teeth and a ridge of bone along the top of its skull to anchor heavy chewing muscles.
Strict vegitarians, they couldn't adapt when the climate changed and with their limited diet, they died out fairly quickly.

Gracile was smaller, fast, and an omnivore. They ate anything that didn't eat them first. They were the branch of the family to survive because they developed larger brains to assist in finding food, any food, and to outthink the animals that wanted to eat them.

Humans can and do eat just about anything but rocks. It allows us to adapt and survive in any climate in the world.
Limiting ourselves to one type of food will cause our bodies to loose health as vital nutriants such as amino acids which are not found in plant material.
We need to eat everything, it's called a balanced diet.

I have been heavily involved in survivor training for years. It is amazing what we can actually eat and do well on. I have tried more varieties of animal than most folks would believe. Some good, some bad, some just plain nasty, but it all breaks down in the gut and keeps you alive to find something tastier to eat.

My family has raised horses for years. We raise them, we work them, we care for them. They carry us in rough country, pull logs out of the timber, they pull plows or mowers or binders so we can build houses, grow grains and vegetables, and harvest.
We love them, we feed them, pay the vet bills when they are sick, but when they are in poor shape such as they can no longer chew their food, or a leg is broken or damaged, or they have a disease that they won't recover from, or a wound that won't heal, we put them down.
No, it isn't pleasant to end the life of an animal you have lived with and worked with for years, that has been a good companion, and listened to whatever drivel you may want to say that you couldn't say to a human, but to let them suffer without hope of recovery, or to keep a horse that is dangerous to you or your other horses is stupid.

Sorry to be so long winded, but people who bring back a thread like this for the sole purpose of causing discord wear my patience thin.

Like my old pappy always said, "Vegetarian is an old Indian word for Poor Hunter".

Think I will char broil that elk steak in the freezer for supper now, maybe some spuds and onions from my garden on the side, some squash I grew last summer, and a cold glass of milk, why not? I'm a omnivore.

Last edited by MTSilvertip; 12-24-2009 at 06:59 PM.. Reason: spell check

Old 12-24-2009, 07:36 PM

MTSilvertip, you said it perfect.

Now off to have a little turkey and stuffing. Merry Xmas!

Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 PM

608 posts, read 923,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I find it depressing the evidenced disconnect between those who live in an urban environment, and actual animal husbandry as practiced by modern agriculture.

I blame a lot of it on old Disney cartoons like "Bambi" that use pure emotion, and no fact to sell their perception of "Nature".

Humans are omnivores. Like a bear or a pig, we can eat just about anything. Even a few things not fit for consuption by anything else. (Broccoli and califlower as examples).
Our teeth do not have heavy enough enamal for chewing plant matter such as grass with high silica or a large enough gut necessary to obtain food value from plant matter. Our teeth do not replace themselves like elephant teeth, or keep growing all our lives as they wear off like rodents teeth do.
Our teeth are designed to eat a little bit of everything. Look at how many kinds of teeth we have, for cutting, grinding, for ripping or tearing, or even cracking nuts. (not advisable, but it can be done)

Meat has vastly higher and more readily assumable protiens and fats for energy in a much smaller package. By consuming meat, we developed large brains because our food supplied enough protiens and fats. (very high energy food), to fuel the brain. It isn't necessary to eat vast quantities of meat to get the benefits. Most large herbavores do little else but eat because their diet is so nutrient poor.
Herbavores usually have much smaller brains than predators, they don't have to outthink their dinner, and the small food value of plant matter doesnt supply the necessary nutrients to fuel the body and still have enough energy left over for a large brain.

A couple million years ago there lived two hominid (Man-like apes) species. Austrolopithicus Gracile, and Austrolopithicus Robusto.

Robusto was larger, with heavy grinding teeth and a ridge of bone along the top of its skull to anchor heavy chewing muscles.
Strict vegitarians, they couldn't adapt when the climate changed and with their limited diet, they died out fairly quickly.

Gracile was smaller, fast, and an omnivore. They ate anything that didn't eat them first. They were the branch of the family to survive because they developed larger brains to assist in finding food, any food, and to outthink the animals that wanted to eat them.

Humans can and do eat just about anything but rocks. It allows us to adapt and survive in any climate in the world.
Limiting ourselves to one type of food will cause our bodies to loose health as vital nutriants such as amino acids which are not found in plant material.
We need to eat everything, it's called a balanced diet.

I have been heavily involved in survivor training for years. It is amazing what we can actually eat and do well on. I have tried more varieties of animal than most folks would believe. Some good, some bad, some just plain nasty, but it all breaks down in the gut and keeps you alive to find something tastier to eat.

My family has raised horses for years. We raise them, we work them, we care for them. They carry us in rough country, pull logs out of the timber, they pull plows or mowers or binders so we can build houses, grow grains and vegetables, and harvest.
We love them, we feed them, pay the vet bills when they are sick, but when they are in poor shape such as they can no longer chew their food, or a leg is broken or damaged, or they have a disease that they won't recover from, or a wound that won't heal, we put them down.
No, it isn't pleasant to end the life of an animal you have lived with and worked with for years, that has been a good companion, and listened to whatever drivel you may want to say that you couldn't say to a human, but to let them suffer without hope of recovery, or to keep a horse that is dangerous to you or your other horses is stupid.

Sorry to be so long winded, but people who bring back a thread like this for the sole purpose of causing discord wear my patience thin.

Like my old pappy always said, "Vegetarian is an old Indian word for Poor Hunter".

Think I will char broil that elk steak in the freezer for supper now, maybe some spuds and onions from my garden on the side, some squash I grew last summer, and a cold glass of milk, why not? I'm a omnivore.
Awsome post once again! I'd rep you, but it won't let me! Anyhow, thanks once again for bringing intelligence and reason to this forum. May you and all of the good people of Montana have a Merry Christmass! (By the way, I tried racoon last summer and it wasn't too bad!)

Old 12-24-2009, 08:54 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catfishing View Post
Awsome post once again! I'd rep you, but it won't let me! Anyhow, thanks once again for bringing intelligence and reason to this forum. May you and all of the good people of Montana have a Merry Christmass! (By the way, I tried racoon last summer and it wasn't too bad!)
Racoon is really good if they don't tell you what is the first time you eat it. If they wait until after, and then tell you, it's pretty damn good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana