U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 12-28-2009, 09:19 PM

2,403 posts, read 1,630,470 times
RamblinRoseRanch,
Excellent post!

Until someone has actually had a horse standing quivering with a leg that is only hanging on by a strip of hide, or had its guts ripped out by a wolf or other predator, or seen a horse that tried to jump a fence and scewered itself on a fence post, or was ran into barb wire by running dogs and has huge gaping holes in its body, then they can tell me how "Humane" it is to let them suffer for months with a wound that won't heal instead of putting them down quickly.

Horses are large powerful animals, and when in pain or scared they can be extremely dangerous.

The only thing I hate worse than putting down a horse is putting down a dog, but you do what you have to do for the welfare of the animal. And sometimes a quick painless death is much more merciful than trying to "save" it.

On to better things...

As for some of the gastronomic entries in the "I can't belive you ate that" contest, If you are going to eat woodchuck, get a young one. The old ones are tough and the fat is just nasty tasting.

Try cougar or Bobcat sometime, surprisingly good and very tender.
Fox and coyote are stringy and add new definition to chewy.

If you really want a taste experience, try beaver or muskrat. Nice grain and texture, I don't like the flavor, but beaver tail roasted over a campfire is not bad.

The only way I found I like rattlesnake is flaked and mixed with mayonaise and pickle relish, makes a pretty good substitute for chicken salad

Or try porcupine for a real taste experience. There isn't a lot of meat on them, and what there is isn't really good, but BOY do you have toothpicks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 12-28-2009, 10:21 PM

119 posts, read 200,735 times
The Swiss have completely lost their minds.

Unread 12-29-2009, 01:13 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,175,837 times
Thanks, Silvertip. You're right. Until you're there, looking at that animal, you just don't know.

I had to do some digging, but I remembered hearing about the spike in horsemeat sales.... seems the Mongolian Prime Minister made the announcement that consuming horse meat would aid people in preventing the spread of H1N1. Apparently it's a folk remedy there.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana