U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 12:31 PM

22 posts, read 31,423 times

Advertisements

Read today about Montana voting on building a horse slaughter house, also read that the guy who pushed this through doesn't care about what anyone other than an Montanian thinks.

So I ask you Montanians ~ How do you feel about your state being the only state in America to slaughter horses?

Quoted as saying:

"When a horse is too old to breed, too old to ride, or too expensive to feed, a horse is disposed of," said Sen. Ryan Zinke, R-Whitefish, who carried the bill in the Senate.

"I don't care about what Chicago or anybody else says. I care about what Montanans say," Zinke said in his closing remarks.

You may believe like others that a horse is not a disposable animal.

Just wanting to see how Montanians think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 12:34 PM

193 posts, read 291,305 times
Horse Slaughter Bill Passes Legislature, HB 418

Old 03-29-2009, 08:49 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,639,368 times
It has nothing to do with being "disposable". Regardless of how much people love their horses, there are STILL about 100,000 old, crippled, sick, and rank (untrainable/dangerous) horses that need to be put down every year, and there's no way around that. That's 800,000 POUNDS of dead horse that you'll have whether they're slaughtered or just euthanized. Would you rather it went into the landfills?? or that it was used as it would be in nature, as food for a carnivore? (Most slaughtered horses went to feed zoo animals, which now are living on imported meat instead. How did that benefit anyone, other than some overseas middleman?)

Remember -- THESE ARE NOT USEFUL OR HEALTHY HORSES. They are NOT pets, and they are not Bambi. Some of them are deadly dangerous to anyone who tries to handle them.

Ending horse slaughter made the end of a horse's life so expensive that now average people can't afford to keep a horse. When they bought that horse 25 years ago, they didn't expect that it would cost them $1500 or so to euthanize it and dispose of the corpse, but that is how much it costs in the more populous states, and even in Idaho it cost my friend $500 to kill and bury her beloved old horse that finally got too decrepit (and old horses are frequently miserable; it's no kindness to extend their lives). I've been told it's about $500 or so in MT as well. Give it another 10 years, and people who bought their horses long ago (when slaughter was still available) will be faced with a euthanasia/corpse-disposal bill in the $5000 range, which they had no way to predict when they bought that horse.

Ending horse slaughter meant that suddenly those going-to-die-no-matter-what horses were a liability, with NO value, instead of having some small value as meat. And that meant people who couldn't just cough up that much of an unexpected disposal bill, wound up desperate to get rid of them, and started giving them away. Which in turn meant that you can no longer sell a grade horse -- without slaughter keeping SOME value attached to unusable horses, grade horses and ordinary saddle horses are now worthless, because their end-of-life liability is more than their market value.

So the end result of no more horse slaughter is that ALL horses (other than the relative few specialty animals such as dressage and racehorses) LOST VALUE, and a lot of old horses are miserably tottering along or starving (having outlived their teeth), that in the past would have been humanely killed at the slaughterhouse.

Hey, don't believe me. Go ask anyone whose life and livelihood have been horses. Ask any professional horse trainer. Ask any stable or barn manager. Most will tell you the same thing. Ending horse slaughter DAMAGED horses, it didn't help them at all.

And if you think every old horse can be a pet or that every rank/untrainable horse should be "rescued" -- it's just a matter of time before one of those rank horses I mentioned KILLS someone who had no idea just how violent a 1000 pound animal can get, and who foolishly believes that EVERY horse can be made into a safe ride. What if the victim is YOUR kid??

See those buckin' horses at the rodeo? That's where some of the rank horses wind up. Of course if PETA and HSUS have their way, there'll be no more rodeos either, and one less place for unsafe and unrideable horses to go.

The animal rights strategy, which most people in MT don't understand yet, is to make animal ownership so expensive and/or so legally onerous, that no one can or dares own animals. The AR types DO NOT CARE ABOUT THE ANIMALS, and they prove this over and over (visit PETA Kills Animals | PetaKillsAnimals.com for a well-documented and all-too-typical example). Their REAL goal is to take away YOUR right to own animals at all.

The fact that ending horse slaughter led directly to a lot of starving and abandoned horses (which had previously been humanely slaughtered) doesn't concern the ARs who pushed through that policy in the least. In the AR view, the end justifies the means.

Animal rightists don't love animals; they hate people.

========

As to the notion that there's so much money in slaughter horses that they're being raised for the purpose, that's utter nonsense. A well-fleshed horse was worth about $400 at the slaughter auction, while canners (ie. dog food) might be worth as little as $100. Until the bottom got jerked out of the market, any rideable nag was worth $1200 or so. Which is why horse trainers were always on the lookout for an overlooked prospect at the slaughter sale -- there was a LOT more money in a trained horse than in a carcass.

Now, without slaughter, old and average horses are worth nothing -- can't sell 'em, can't give 'em away. How was that progress?

Last edited by Reziac; 03-29-2009 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: further thoughts

Old 03-30-2009, 02:25 AM

989 posts, read 2,306,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hey, don't believe me. Go ask anyone whose life and livelihood have been horses. Ask any professional horse trainer. Ask any stable or barn manager. Most will tell you the same thing. Ending horse slaughter DAMAGED horses, it didn't help them at all.
I guess I know as much about horses as anyone, and I completely agree. Ending horse slaughter DAMAGED horses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheilovealways View Post
"I don't care about what Chicago or anybody else says. I care about what Montanans say," Zinke said in his closing remarks.

I can't speak for everyone, but I for one am very pleased to see a politician do what's best for our state. Frankly, I don't care about Chicago or anybody else either. They can do what they want when it comes to this, just as we should do as we want. We know what's best for our state. We probably have more horse knowledge than any other state.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:29 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,098,612 times
Quote:
"When a horse is too old to breed, too old to ride, or too expensive to feed, a horse is disposed of," said Sen. Ryan Zinke, R-Whitefish, who carried the bill in the Senate.

Well, first off, I don't think there is any such animal as a "Montanian". Most of us who live in this State considers ourselves "Montanans".
Secondly, I, along with many other people who live here, agree totally with what Zinke had to say.
Thirdly, any industry that will create jobs in this State is OK by me.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 PM

989 posts, read 2,306,273 times
It breaks my heart that these animals are being sent in cramped semi's and trains to Mexico and Canada. The sooner we can get a well regulated plant here in the US the better off the animals will be. Notice I said "well regulated". I want this to be done in a humane fashion.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Quoted as saying:

You're reading too much into the phrase "disposed of".

It doesn't matter HOW much you love that horse -- when it dies or has to be put down, the corpse must be disposed of. You can't just leave it lay in the street. THAT is how Sen.Zinke was using the phrase.

But I see from your other posts that you're in the animal rights camp, so now that I've looked you up, particularly where you say "Dead set against animals for profit. Too many animals killed everyday in America for people to make money off of a animal", coupled with the fact that you're not from these parts, I have to consider your post as an AR troll. Sorry.

And the problems in Texas right now were generated BY animal rights type policies, which make pet ownership harder and often force people to GIVE UP pets (including horses), which otherwise they would not do. And I guess it doesn't bother ARs that early neutering of dogs condemns up to 25% of its victims to a painful early death by bone cancer.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQHA View Post
It breaks my heart that these animals are being sent in cramped semi's and trains to Mexico and Canada. The sooner we can get a well regulated plant here in the US the better off the animals will be. Notice I said "well regulated". I want this to be done in a humane fashion.
The American slaughter industry is the most tightly regulated and most stringently overseen and inspected in the world. Doesn't matter if you're talking about horses or cattle. And yes, the sooner we can get such plants going again in the U.S., the fewer of these horses will end with a miserable lingering death.

BTW, if you haven't heard -- remember the big flap about "moving downed cows with a forklift" that got a SoCal meat packing plant shut down? Turns out the entire thing was STAGED by PETA. No such incident ever happened in Real Life. PETA bribed some of the low-rung employees to set things up for their "undercover" cameras. And THAT is why they delayed 3 months from the time of the purported incident until they "blew the whistle" -- it took that long to get the desired situation set up, filmed when no one else was around to stop it, and suitably edited. But this didn't come out until several months AFTER the plant had been forced to shut down, a lot of people lost their jobs, and the price of meat got driven up. All of which were their REAL goals. PETA doesn't give a flip if you die from eating contaminated food (if they did, why wait 3 months to "expose" contamination??)

Old 03-31-2009, 03:43 AM

305 posts, read 580,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
PETA doesn't give a flip if you die from eating contaminated food (if they did, why wait 3 months to "expose" contamination??)
Maybe PETA should go into the slaughter business... they seem to be pretty good at it!!!

Press Release | PETA Killed 95 Percent of Adoptable Pets in its Care During 2008 (http://www.consumerfreedom.com/pressRelease_detail.cfm/release/258 - broken link)

Old 03-31-2009, 05:49 AM

18,891 posts, read 17,602,087 times
The bleeding hearts were able to get the plants shut down here in TX. So all the jobs & business just moved south of the border.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana