U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2011, 09:58 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,292 posts, read 3,325,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo403 View Post
..................................... - earlier you mentioned the Bitterroot in 1976 - I was a kid growing up in the Bitterroot of the 1970's.....................................

My very first trip through the BR Valley was in 1974. I had flown into Missoula, rented a Jeep from Larry Flanagin on Brooks........(had to have a vehicle suitable to make the drive up to the non-operational Colbalt Mine and Mill (The Blackbird) S/W of Salmon, ID some 50 miles up in the mountains)..........got as far as Darby and decided to spend the night there at "Bud & Shirley's Motel", due to the fact that I was very taken by my drive south through the valley (stopped several times --off of Rt 93-- on some of the side roads, to look at the river, take some photos and even stopped at the old Martin's Inn in Victor for a late noon quick lunch. In the following 18 months I returned to the valley (accompanied by my late wife) on several trips--some for business, some for vacation. I was saddened by what was happening to CO ( the Boulder area specifically) and knew it would only continue to get worse. We ended up buying some acreage in '76 and moved up in early 1980 (after at least another dozen trips from '76 to 1980). We knew by the end of '79 that our choice to move was a correct and well researched choice.......

I sincerely hope that your proposed move to CS/CO from "the Zoo" works out as well for you, as our move did for us...................................CARPE DIEM!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 11:20 PM

213 posts, read 596,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post

got as far as Darby and decided to spend the night there at "Bud & Shirley's Motel", due to the fact that I was very taken by my drive south through the valley (stopped several times --off of Rt 93-- on some of the side roads, to look at the river, take some photos and even stopped at the old Martin's Inn in Victor for a late noon quick lunch.
Bud and Shirley's made the best Oyster stew! And I had my very first legal drink at Martin's! A lot of things I will miss if we leave, but this will always be home to visit.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:45 PM

4,881 posts, read 5,762,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
.......OK...........I've read most of the recent posts in this thread and take issue with some of the statements and the logic behind some of these statements. I fully realize that we are all different in how we view the positives and negatives as related to a given situation within a state.......be it job opportunity; wages; ease of out-of-state-travel; big-city conveniences; recreational & cultural opportunities; etc;etc. And yes, we all are totally entitled to these opinions......be they "subjective" or "objective". I guess it boils down to everyone's personal history and the results of their choices: (where to live); (their degree of success in their chosen field); (their "interests" and how they spend their free time); (how easily they make friends); etc;etc;etc..

.....[Isolation & Rural enviroment]:..........................
When I bought a few acreas in the Bitterroot Valley 34 years ago, (moved here in 1980) it was exactly what I had been looking for. I had witnessed and lived with the results of what happened --from about 1962 to present--- (& still is happening) to a western state (Colorado) that enticed and promoted outside interests to bring in various types of companies (employment opportunties) in many fields (state-wide): tech and high tech; manufacturing; entertainment; recreational equipment; etc;etc;etc.

IMHO (admittedly subjective).....the results (since about 1970) changed the many, many "desireable"; "sought-after"; "affordable"; and "attractive aspects" of a "low-key"; slow-paced; desireable western state (particularly the front-range)......into....... well ....what it is today!!!! Boulder and the Boulder area is a prime example of what can happen. (unless a person knows what the Boulder area was like.......let's say in 1962......you cannot appreciate what I'm trying to convery!.) Being very close to the end of my 8th decade, and having lived these last 31 years in Montana..........I would hate to see the "progress" that occurred in Colorado, happen to (and in) Montana. (yes, I've been back there (Boulder area) in recent years..........and I would not live back there.....if I was given a home for free.....life is too short !!

I knew when I moved here (and had about 14 more years to work before retirement), that I couldn't make a decent wage in the Missoula/Bitterroot area...................so I adapted, and took a job (in my same field) with an out-of-state-based company that required about 80% "out-of-state-travel", but paid what I needed to maintain a standard of living that was comparable.

Don't forget:..............everything in life "is-a-trade-off". In most instances: the more inconvenience you can handle (in my case a lot of travel)......the more you are paid. For me is worked well.........

So lets say in summary: "What some folks don't like about Montana, are in fact, what many of "us" truly love and hold dear about this state"....................................AND yes, I do wish I could turn the clock back (in the Bitterroot) to 1976.

P.S. .......and yes, I agree 100% with your comments in para#2.

Excellent well thought out post as usual Montana Griz

Old 04-23-2011, 03:39 PM

4 posts, read 13,566 times
gee, after readind all these posts, it sounds like me talking about California. Doesn't seem to be much hope.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:09 PM

28 posts, read 62,819 times
Default really?

1. If I take my keys out of my vehicle I may lose them
2. Have not seen my house keys in years
3. After trout fishing here you will never do it anywhere else
..........These are really a problem

Old 04-24-2011, 09:54 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,885,246 times
double

Old 04-25-2011, 08:52 AM

14 posts, read 28,399 times
1.) logging all but gone
2.) influx of environmentalists that dont have a clue
3.) not enough work (see #1)
4.) too many "public access" forest roads closed/gated every year

Old 04-27-2011, 08:30 PM

7,662 posts, read 8,947,264 times
1) Low wages

2) High cost of living in many places

3) Romanticized too much.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,165 times
This really helped me; I have an assignment in Geography to persuade others to move to California and/or Nebraska, instead of my opponent's 2 states, Montana & Alabama. I need to know alot of bad things about his 2 states, so I can win the debate.! [:

Old 05-17-2011, 06:50 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,567,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyGurl View Post
This really helped me; I have an assignment in Geography to persuade others to move to California and/or Nebraska, instead of my opponent's 2 states, Montana & Alabama. I need to know alot of bad things about his 2 states, so I can win the debate.! [:
"Montana is full of Californians." Debate over!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana