U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 03:01 PM

4,882 posts, read 5,763,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCreek View Post
I have at this point not asked "what generation MT you are"? (those that ask to trespass)
For sure, don't mean to lump all MT residents together.
I sure enough have stories.
Remember the Fall of 2012? all the rain. 4 wheelers did more damage then you can imagine. They left, we need to try to repair the damage. Now the gates are locked.

MT residents for sure, WILL do whatever they can! So they DO NOT have to carry out their deer or antelope, elk or whatever on their backs.
I've seen cases, LOTS! where a Non Res will bone and back a deer 1-2 miles even more!!!.
Those folks are welcome anytime.
Now who is generalizing
All landowners have stories, it's part of the reality of living on property here. My uncle lost 2 angus bulls and had his sprinkler system shot up by out of state hunters too.

Doesn't matter where you are from, a slob hunter is still just a slob.

Individuals are individuals, and they alone are responsible for their actions.
If you don't like 4 wheelers on your place, stipulate that like my family does.

You seem to have some serious problems with anything attached to this state, it doesn't make life better to always be bitter and looking for ways to be offended.

Take folks on their individual merit, not because of any bias, and you may be pleasently surprised.

Just an FYI, I have also boned and carried my harvested game many times, no big deal, and I am 5th generation Montanan, so there goes your stereotype right there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2014, 03:10 PM

30 posts, read 38,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Now who is generalizing
All landowners have stories, it's part of the reality of living on property here. My uncle lost 2 angus bulls and had his sprinkler system shot up by out of state hunters too.

Doesn't matter where you are from, a slob hunter is still just a slob.

Individuals are individuals, and they alone are responsible for their actions.
If you don't like 4 wheelers on your place, stipulate that like my family does.

You seem to have some serious problems with anything attached to this state, it doesn't make life better to always be bitter and looking for ways to be offended.

Take folks on their individual merit, not because of any bias, and you may be pleasently surprised.

Just an FYI, I have also boned and carried my harvested game many times, no big deal, and I am 5th generation Montanan, so there goes your stereotype right there.
So what the heck are you talking about.
I have no problems with things attached to MT.
I am never offended. It is just what it is.
I do for sure take folks for their individual merit, always.

Old 03-27-2014, 04:31 PM

Sorry Sage CREEK,

My mistake. I should have read more closely as I mixed you up with someone else.

Mea Culpa

Please delete line:

It doesn't apply to you.

My sincere appologies.

That said, I still don't make a lot of distinction between in-state and out of state hunters, except for how they behave.

I don't even own a 4 wheeler, and whenever I hunt on someone elses property I have always treated it better than my own because I appreciate the opportunity to hunt there.
I usually hunt on foot, and can't begin to tell you how many miles I've logged in search of game. I have participated in the backcountry hunts in the wilderness areas, so believe me, I know how to bone and pack out ASAP so the griz don't get me. Even with horses, most wilderness is a jungle of deadfall, so on foot is usually the best way to hunt unless you find a burn.

My neck of the woods turns orange with no trespassing signs every fall so that some out of stater can lock down the access roads to public land so their friends from whereever can hunt, but the locals are locked out, so it's kind of a sore spot with me.
Lots of public land locked up by someone so their friends or paying customers can have access to the detriment of locals.

I know the rules are different out on the plains, in my area, 4 wheelers usually don't help a lot, but having had property in Petroleum county, I understand now where you are coming from.
Around here, it's usually the out of staters that cause most of the problems.

That said, I still go with the individual, not the group.

Old 03-27-2014, 06:51 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,568,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I can, however, detail one thing that I think is Montana's biggest problem- the lax attitude towards DUI/drinking related offenses. In my opinion it borders on an epidemic scale. Living in North Valley Helena I can't count how many accidents that have occurred on Lincoln Rd alone. Multiple offenders get off with a slap on the wrist while the rest of us are put in harms way.
That depends on the judge.

The late Tom Sabo (Bozeman) was a hangin' judge for DUI. You got one chance. Next time you lost your license.

If you want tough-on-DUI, get different judges on your local municipal bench.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:08 PM

11,818 posts, read 15,432,391 times
State law should mandate sentencing and penalties. It's horrid here.

I read in the papers from a lot of the parts of the state of 5 and 6 offense DUI folks. It's nuts..

Oh and about hunting? No offense but if I have the ability to haul my harvest out I will. I can hang and age my harvest, glean more meat and skin the hide for the Boy Scouts. Boning in the field is fine, but I prefer to get my game hanging in the garage. Makes for a better all around product and uses more of the game harvested.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:14 AM

We have so many more hunters from the Western part of the state hunting this area. I know deer numbers are down in wolf country. We don't have wolves but the deer numbers are way down. About 1/4 from what numbers were before 2010. Still with all the antlerless permits lot of people around trying hard to get their doe.
The deer just aren't here to have a lot of hunters anymore.

We have people from town hunt and groups of non-res that have been coming out for years. These folks are always welcome. Then there are those with the muddy trucks, 4X4 in the back. All BLM land is WHEELED TRAVEL ON ESTABLISHED ROADS ONLY.

Non Res get up to 10% of the permits or licenses so I guess thats why most of the nonsense we see are MT Residents.

Taking out a deer whole is fine, if done legally.

It's calving over here. 27 yesterday and things are really going to be active this week. Fun time of the year, tough to get enough sleep. Gotta finish my coffee and git.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Sorry Sage CREEK,

My mistake. I should have read more closely as I mixed you up with someone else.

Mea Culpa

Please delete line:

It doesn't apply to you.

My sincere appologies.

That said, I still don't make a lot of distinction between in-state and out of state hunters, except for how they behave.

I don't even own a 4 wheeler, and whenever I hunt on someone elses property I have always treated it better than my own because I appreciate the opportunity to hunt there.
I usually hunt on foot, and can't begin to tell you how many miles I've logged in search of game. I have participated in the backcountry hunts in the wilderness areas, so believe me, I know how to bone and pack out ASAP so the griz don't get me. Even with horses, most wilderness is a jungle of deadfall, so on foot is usually the best way to hunt unless you find a burn.

My neck of the woods turns orange with no trespassing signs every fall so that some out of stater can lock down the access roads to public land so their friends from whereever can hunt, but the locals are locked out, so it's kind of a sore spot with me.
Lots of public land locked up by someone so their friends or paying customers can have access to the detriment of locals.

I know the rules are different out on the plains, in my area, 4 wheelers usually don't help a lot, but having had property in Petroleum county, I understand now where you are coming from.
Around here, it's usually the out of staters that cause most of the problems.

That said, I still go with the individual, not the group.
All is fine, thanks. Lots of good folks all through MT. We sure don't want to lump everybody together.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageCreek View Post
The deer just aren't here to have a lot of hunters anymore.
Where was it someone here mentioned, that last fall had so damn many deer that the limit was "How many would you like?"

Some eastern states have overprotected 'em til they're overloaded with deer, like 3 times the natural numbers. Mebbe more folks should go hunt there.

Old 03-28-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Where was it someone here mentioned, that last fall had so damn many deer that the limit was "How many would you like?"

Some eastern states have overprotected 'em til they're overloaded with deer, like 3 times the natural numbers. Mebbe more folks should go hunt there.
Try that sometime.

I have friends in southern Illinois that come here and hunt elk, and I go there (when I can, I think it's tougher to draw a tag there than it is to get an elk tag here,) to hunt whitetail.
Those corn and soybean fields are full of deer, but unless you know someone or own land or belong to a club, you can't hunt them.

Then, trying to draw the tag is a logistical nightmare, and their seasons are beyond stupid with a 3 day season here, 4 day season there, but only if you use black powder or a shotgun, but then the archery seasons are a bit more liberal with a 5 day season a couple times, there's no way to understand what their doing.
Then, if you carry a firearm, it must be in a locked case, seperate from the ammunition, and has to be in a case until you are walking to your stand. No spot and stalk, if you don't hunt from a stand forget it.

I don't know about other states back east, but I did try to hunt in Wisconsin once, not doing that again, and once in Iowa, no thank you.

A friend of mines brother lives in Michigan on a farm and wants to trade me access as he has a camp in the UP. Haven't decided on that one yet because the others have been such a poor experience.

Living just east of the divide in western Montana, and having land near Livingston, very few natives want to hunt there because there are so few left. Bozeman and Livingston are all transplants who think it's their right to hunt on your place, tear down fences, tear up the ground, shoot at anything that moves or strikes their fancy, in short raise hell.

There are no easy answers, so you just go case by case, or lock it down.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:39 AM

Well, see? That's why they've got 3x the deer the land can sanely support. They gotta thin those deer one way or another.... I know! Let's send them some of our surplus wolves!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana