U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 10:06 AM

39 posts, read 114,876 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, thanks for reading this post!

My husband and I are moving out west in late summer, and while we travel we're going to do some sightseeing. While our stuff will be moved by a moving company (so we won't be traveling in a big uhaul or anything like that), we will be traveling with my small dog. We want to spend a few days in some different national parks, Glacier among them. Can anyone recommend some dog kennels on the outskirts? My dog is quite old and sleeps most of the day, so we aren't looking for anything fancy. Also, we're concerned that we might have difficulty finding a kennel as we're coming from out-of-state. Does anyone have experience with this? Please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:09 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,455,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awleavingNYC View Post
Hi everyone, thanks for reading this post!

My husband and I are moving out west in late summer, and while we travel we're going to do some sightseeing. While our stuff will be moved by a moving company (so we won't be traveling in a big uhaul or anything like that), we will be traveling with my small dog. We want to spend a few days in some different national parks, Glacier among them. Can anyone recommend some dog kennels on the outskirts? My dog is quite old and sleeps most of the day, so we aren't looking for anything fancy. Also, we're concerned that we might have difficulty finding a kennel as we're coming from out-of-state. Does anyone have experience with this? Please let me know!
Go to Humane Society of Northwest Montana (Humane Society in Kalispell) and give them a call. They pretty much know everyone in the valley and should be able to point you in the right direction.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:32 AM

10 posts, read 31,950 times
Most Vet Clinics offer boarding. When you know the route that you will take, pick a town and go to yellowpages.com and type in the city, and 'veterinary clinics and hospitals' in the search. It will come up with a list. The best thing about boarding at a vet is that the staff is knowledgable, and if anything happens there is a vet handy 24/7.

Old 04-01-2009, 12:21 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,570,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwgirl View Post
Most Vet Clinics offer boarding. When you know the route that you will take, pick a town and go to yellowpages.com and type in the city, and 'veterinary clinics and hospitals' in the search. It will come up with a list. The best thing about boarding at a vet is that the staff is knowledgable, and if anything happens there is a vet handy 24/7.
Be careful that they keep sick animals separate from the boarding area, tho, and practice good isolation procedures. Some don't!!

Old 04-01-2009, 05:16 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,887,553 times
yep, the vet here only offers outside kennels, your sweetie could be a coyote snack, I have dashies, Have a good visit.
Maybe this could help.
Fuzzy BUTZ Boarding & Grooming in Kalispell,*MT*|*249 El Rancho Road,*Kalispell,*MT

Just found them looking online, Whitefish is a community that might have what you are looking for.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:39 PM

I've never seen coyotes come real close to a kennel that has a lot of dogs (since I own a kennel in the middle of coyote country, I can speak from firsthand experience), and any sufficiently-secure boarding kennel has a 2nd fence outside of and surrounding the kennel runs anyway, to contain escape artists -- which also serves to keep vermin out.

Also, boarding kennels commonly have indoor crates where old or very small dogs can be kept. Ask about that, if it would better suit your lazy old dog.

Bears would just bust down a fence if they really wanted to, but as a rule they won't come up to a bunch of barking dogs anyway.

Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 AM

my dog is both small and old (an almost 14 years old, long haired chihuahua!), so we hope to find her a place where she can stay inside, as she is very much an inside dog.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:48 AM

Here's a list of facilities, with contact information. I don't know how current it is. You'll have to look at a map (map links are included) to see which are convenient to your route:

Dog Boarding in Montana (MT)

The site is really just a glorified linkfarm, but at least the info is all in one place

BTW... in my experience (40 years as a canine professional), regular boarding kennels usually take much better care of their guests than vet-boarding facilities do.

Old 04-02-2009, 10:20 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,887,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awleavingNYC View Post
my dog is both small and old (an almost 14 years old, long haired chihuahua!), so we hope to find her a place where she can stay inside, as she is very much an inside dog.

Thanks for all the help!
You are welcome.. Keep us up on your travels. Someone might know someone,,

Old 04-03-2009, 08:39 AM

My husband was doing research and found a place 10 miles outside the park, that apparently has a kennel 1 mile away. It's called Glacier Park Motel and Campground. Anyone know anything about this place? It gets high marks on tripadvisor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana