Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2010, 08:56 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,666,226 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Last night I watched a few minutes of a movie on HBO with Kevin Bacon and Meryl Streep in it......he was a bad guy with a guy and stolen money and several were on a raft going down a scary river.....I saw it when it was new, maybe 10 years ago.....called The River or Wild River or something about a river....(I don't pay attention to small details such as titles....LOL)........ Man, did they go down the rapids.....of course, a lot of it is the way it was photographed, but still, it looked pretty stinking scary. I watched the credits and it was filmed in 3 states.......Montana and Oregon and I forgot the other one....
Yes, several scenes of The River Wild were filmed at the Kootenai Falls! Also the Rogue River in OR. You can stand at the Kootenai Falls and take pics of your family/travel buddies and make it look like you're right out in the middle of white water! Spectacular place. Include it in one of your future trips with your daughter!
Another movie filmed in the area is Always from the late 1980s with Holly Hunter and Richard Dreyfuss. It's filmed in Libby and on Bull Lake in Lincoln CT!
Best of luck with your daughter's move!

Old 04-20-2010, 10:01 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Default George! Your library books are overdue!!

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_GEORGE_WASHINGTON_LIBRARY_FINES?SITE=VABRM& SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT (broken link)

Old 04-20-2010, 03:25 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Try this one, it makes good ol' 93 look downright tame:

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC
Not good. Not good at all.......

Old 04-20-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I would say that the culture of drinking in Montana is not selected to one population.
There is a relaxed attitude.
I see that attitude in the ER.
And you are on the 'other' side of the state.....

Old 04-20-2010, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
You'd be right... I've gathered from the overhead activity whenever there's some sort of "national emergency" that I'm under Edwards' secure flight path, as then I see all sorts of unmarked aircraft coming and going. Nothing particularly special (ordinary small commercial and private-type jets, mostly), just no tail numbers or markings of any sort. I also gathered from this that more goes on at Edwards than the purported research.

Once in a while it sounds like they're blowing stuff up over there (hellacious loud BOOM even from 15 miles away!) ... I've been told that's from when they're testing new engines. I'd be a trifle concerned if I got into a jet and it made a noise like that when I fired it up.
We always knew when 'something was up' before it happened, too....by extra activity coming from El Toro Marine Base...... And nowadays, we get extra action from Pendleton in Oceanside and also navy 'practice' (boom, boom), out on the ocean.....

We saw a shuttle land at Edwards one time and one time only...July 4th about 25 years ago...there were over a million people there....we got up in the middle of the night to get there in time.(we lived in Monrovi)....people were camping all over the place on the asphalt, dirt, potholes, it didn't matter....there were no facilities, NONE....it was hot, even early in the morning....people were setting up their tripods for telescopes and stepping on our springer....she nipped one man's shoe as a warning, (but he didn't even feel it)......it took us SEVERAL HOURS, like FIVE, to get back to the main highway, (which was just a stone's throw away), after it was all over.. It was exciting to see, but never again...

Old 04-20-2010, 03:50 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,127,371 times
I live sorta close to Homestead Air Reserve Base. I also see increased activity in the skies when "something" has happened.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:41 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Good morning all! Well here we sit on gen power camped across from our next competition Stagecoach waiting for some of our team friends to show up.

Speaking of Edwards and the shuttle, I've actually been in the shuttle hanger there and at the start of the runway it lands on. Years ago I worked for a hazmat disposal company and 2 trucks got sent to Edwards to pick up some waste. We arrived at the gate where you saw this HUGE hanger and looooong runway and guys with M16's glaring at you. At the time we didn't realize what was going on but learned rather quickly. There were 2 gates, you drove in the first one and it closed behind you so you were now trapped between 2 fence gates. You were then told to get out of the truck while it was inspected, present your ID and papers etc. I asked (being somewhat informed on military police stuff) if the weapons actually had ammo (most do not) and I was curtly informed that yes, they were locked and loaded, and if we got out of line we'd get a demonstration (I thought he was kidding about that but never knew for sure).
After a nervous half hour (being pretty much surrounded by armed guards) we were allowed to proceed out of the man trap and one of the guards told us we could walk around and check it out while our trucks were loaded which is exactly what I did.
We even became members of the officers club so we could eat lunch, plastic ID cards and all!

Old 04-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
After a nervous half hour (being pretty much surrounded by armed guards) we were allowed to proceed out of the man trap and one of the guards told us we could walk around and check it out while our trucks were loaded which is exactly what I did.
We even became members of the officers club so we could eat lunch, plastic ID cards and all!
Haha, sounds like you passed the local Edwards initiation

Old 04-23-2010, 04:53 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
anyone going to this?

Nile
I am heading down that way and have always wanted to at least "Hang out"

Old 04-23-2010, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
anyone going to this?

Nile
I am heading down that way and have always wanted to at least "Hang out"
Wow, that looks like a major event. How long has it been going on??

What's the diff between a "ranch rodeo" and the more usual pro rodeo?? I see they've got both. Or is it just an event restricted to amateurs? (defined as those who don't make their living on the rodeo circuit)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana