Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2010, 06:17 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Well I guess if I get too homesick I can go up to Flagstaff where they got record snows this year and do some shoveling... I've got to say I may like being able to go to the cold/snow and then GO HOME leaving the shoveling to others!
My wife loved Flag and I liked it as well but unfortunately it's too far from the kids school if he doesn't make it in the dorms (with his Autism there's a big question mark there) so we're kinda stuck in the valley.
The upside is we found a bank owned 2300 sqft 5 yr old house for real cheap.
Think $50 a sqft cheap which is about what all the repo's are going for right now and there are litterally hundreds of 'em.
I couldn't wrap my head around the news reports of these subdivision wastelands, thinking "this is just news hype" but I've got to tell ya it's a fact! I can't believe the streets that have a couple of occupied houses and the rest are bank owned or in process. I also can't believe what people do to some of these houses before leaving. I mean stealing things as trivial as kitchen cabinet knobs! These people are taking thermostats, knobs,door handles,fans, plugs from the walls etc.
Then you see the houses that they've just punched in every door and wall. I get they're ticked, I get that it's hard to walk away from your home BUT why they're not prosecuted for destroying their loan collateral is beyond me.
We saw one real nice looking, real big house. I was really interested UNTIL we went in. It was litterally gutted. No kitchen, I mean NO kitchen (we've seen many of these btw) no toilets,showers,flooring, they even took the shower heads.
We've seen a couple where the realtors advertised these wonderfull chef's kitchens only to walk in and see the counters and upper cabinets are GONE. Really? Granite counters crack when you rip 'em out so exactly what are you going to do with 'em? Used sinks? Are they really worth that much?
This economy is so bad.......I keep hoping that things will improve....stripping a house is one thing....pouring cement down the toilets is another...... I'm glad that you found a reasonable deal.....hope it doesn't include scorpions.....

Flagstaff is a beautiful area.....I looked at real estate there a couple of years ago......not cheap......

There is a restaurant there that serves wonderful warm sopapillas....the pillow kind---poke a hole and pour in honey.... The only other restaurant that I have had this style is in Durango... Heavenly!

There is an upside to living in AZ: be on the lookout for restaurants that serve good frybread! Dang, it must be dinner time.....

Old 06-04-2010, 12:40 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Yes we got a state song. try this version out for size.
Moderator cut: link removed
Did you know we have a State Lullaby too??? Words written by a Mayberry resident!!!

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/mul...ast/index.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...-lullaby_x.htm

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2010 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: added another link

Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times
AND we have a Montana State Ballad - "Montana Melody"

This is a great song!

LeGrande Harvey - Montana Melody, Montana State Ballad

Old 06-04-2010, 05:19 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
This economy is so bad.......I keep hoping that things will improve....stripping a house is one thing....pouring cement down the toilets is another...... I'm glad that you found a reasonable deal.....hope it doesn't include scorpions.....

Flagstaff is a beautiful area.....I looked at real estate there a couple of years ago......not cheap......

There is a restaurant there that serves wonderful warm sopapillas....the pillow kind---poke a hole and pour in honey.... The only other restaurant that I have had this style is in Durango... Heavenly!

There is an upside to living in AZ: be on the lookout for restaurants that serve good frybread! Dang, it must be dinner time.....
We just had Sopapillas in Old Town Albaquerque NM about a month ago and yep they're good. There's actually a frybread restaraunt in Mesa that I've got to check out!
As for scorpions and tarantulas, I've yet to see either (knock wood) but I'm told that the possibility is higher where we bought our house. The one neat thing is my pontoon boat will not go to waste here, evidently the Salt river is a big deal to float and people tube it constantly.
About the only thing we'll need to get used to is our hands melting when we touch the steering wheel during the day. May need to go buy a set of Ove Gloves (as seen on tv)....

Old 06-04-2010, 07:07 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
About the only thing we'll need to get used to is our hands melting when we touch the steering wheel during the day. May need to go buy a set of Ove Gloves (as seen on tv)....
Get a fleece cover for the steering wheel. Makes all the difference in the world.

And cover up anything you don't want the sun to eat (dashboard, seats, etc). You have no idea how much damage the desert sun does until you've been here a while. It will destroy almost anything in a couple years of exposure. I've never seen ANY weather than can kill stuff faster.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:50 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
There is also a MSU "fight Song" and the State flower is the Bitterroot. The wild asparagus has already bolted and the Bitterroot flowers should be popping out within a week or two here.

Old 06-04-2010, 01:47 PM

299 posts, read 566,053 times
Default I LOVE state stuff ...

I think Montana's state motto is .. EAT BEEF ... and I thought the state flower was the COW PATTY .. Glad I was wrong .. I like that Bitteroot much better.. ( although the cow patty has many more uses ) .. But then I suppose EVERYTHING can't be just practical.. now and then you gotta have somethin that's just pretty.. Now I'm not 100% sure about the motto.. But if its not EAT BEEF .. it should be.

My favorite tourist expression is ...... " Look honey, a bear.."

tiberius

Old 06-04-2010, 02:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
I think Montana's state motto is .. EAT BEEF
Close... there used to be a billboard east of Townsend that read:
EAT MORE LAMB --
10 MILLION COYOTES CAN'T BE WRONG

Anyone got a picture of that old sign? (It was in the newspaper once...) When the guy who owned the billboard ran for office, he covered it up with a political ad, and it was never restored.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:29 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
I think the Bitterroot is still eaten at certain times by certain folks. It has a Mountain range and Valley named after it.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:00 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Hi neighbors, sorry life is still busy. I had a chance to work in the Flathead Lake area, wow absolutely stunning! Lucky folks who live over there!
I do not fly fish but believe me if I lived there I would learn just to have an excuse to be in the beautiful scenery.
The prairie is beautiful, so green with showers every afternoon! Hard on the farmers but I am enjoying it. Getting ready to take a trip to Vegas. We will be staying at the Bellagio, anyone else have a comment on it? We have stayed at Ceasers, Hilton, and the Rio in the past. It is really cheap to fly down from Billings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana