Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 12:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times

Advertisements

I remember the old returnable milk bottles with the pog and pleated paper top. We used to get our milk from Golden Arrow Dairy advertised on TV by Johnny Downs (Google that guy up) and we had our bread and doughnuts delivered by Helms Bakery. They had panel trucks with long oak doughnut drawers at the back van.
We used to say ~ "You son of a biscuit eater. Go to Helms Bakery" !

Oooo, I'm gettin' that there funny feeling again ? Yup, it's another picture coming on !

I took this today while on a short walk (to water a tree) on an unidentified trail.
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TKwE_Q8D2mI/AAAAAAAAFF8/ntrdOZiSaB0/s512/IMG_1480.JPG (broken link)

I took this one today up Vermilion River Road well below the falls.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TKwDipHhl_I/AAAAAAAAFFo/cOG__jqv61E/s512/IMG_1477.JPG (broken link)

I named this tree "TOM" ~ ~
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TKqTKd0qvvI/AAAAAAAAFB8/HkzJW09Km1k/s512/IMG_1442.JPG (broken link)

I plan on putting together another "Tupperware Trawler" like this one soon.
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TDf87bxDLvI/AAAAAAAAD2Q/zeZ7Vv91OOA/s576/294%20pics%20143.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-06-2010, 02:23 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Was invited to supper (they called it Dinner) at a neighbors home. They moved here from CA, but they are neighbors now.

Supper was going to be served on their deck. They had trail mix for an appitizer, some little weiners wrapped in bacon. cheese blocks, crackers, etc...

Jack says, "Have some trail mix". So I reached over to grab some and before I could grab a handful, July says, "Please use the spoon next to the bowl and put some in a napkin. We don't want to spread germs." Not a problem. Thinking of how many times I've sat around a camp fire with a dozen guys and the trail mix bag was handed from person to person, every one of them had deer, elk, or antelope blood on their hands. Didn't die from that.

So then she brings soup out and puts these little spoons (that won't hold a half a teaspoon) and the spoons were shaped funny. Thought about just picking up the bowl and slurping it down, but I didn't.

Next come out a VERY small salad. There was a half of a radish and 3 little leaves of lettice. There was cheese on it to but it was that store bought shreaded stuff. I counted 12 pieces of cheese on my salad. When I picked up a fork (we had 3 of them), July says "Umm, that's the wrong fork". This time I spoke up and said, "What, this one won't work? July says "You"re funny." So I picked the the with tangs that wouldn't stab a thing and ate my salad.

Next come out the steak and a potaoe. Well, the steak was about 2x3 inches and a half inch thick. The potaoe was only 1/2 of a potatoe and it was one of thoes little red potatoes. Took about 2 minutes to eat what was on the plate. Oh, no butter, no salt and pepper, no spices of any sort on the table.

Then a little cup, (something like you see in a chinese restaurant to put some sauce in, only smaller) of a yogurt/ice cream/pudding stuff.

Conversation was all about where they came from. Every time I tried to change it I'd get stopped. For instance, I asked them if they've been up and seen The Battle of the Little Bighorn grounds. His reply was "No, it's not worth going up there, we seen something like it back home."

Needless to say, conversation was short. I told them I had to go check my blood pressure, and I thanked them for inviting me for "Dinner". As I left, I grabbed my walker and started away. I stopped and scratched my ass and continued on. Got another 10 feet and I stopped, reached up and pushed one nostril shut, leaned over a bit and blew snot on the street. Then went home.

I don't think I'll be invited to eat there again. And I can safely say, they won't be eating at my cabin. Unless theres a snowstorm and they loose power. I'll go get them so they don't freeze to death.
EH, I'm from California and I have never, ever served trail mix for an hor'deuvre (sp)! That's insane! I don't consider that a finger food at all! Does she think that's how they do it in Montana? How weird! And it was very low class of her to tell you to use the spoon. She should have had the spoon sitting in it with some little party plates by it if that is what she wanted you to do.

If you eat at my house, you have to unbutton your pants by the end of a meal.......and I force doggie bags on you as you are leaving so that 'you don't have to cook tomorrow'.... Nobody ever leaves hungry from my house, no matter if it's my best friends at our kitchen table or a fancy sit-down where I serve sorbet in-between the salad and main course to 'cleanse the palate'.... We sometimes set out 2 forks, but no more......if people get confused, we don't care......we all laugh about it.... Why were there 3? You didn't mention shrimp cocktail or anything similar and you didn't need it to eat the dessert....

People like this give Californians a bad name! They may be trying to fit in but they are going about it all wrong......

How do they know what's worth seeing and what isn't if they haven't checked it out? California is a huge state with all kinds of things to see, but we don't have a 'Bighorn'. (Oh, sure, we have tons of other historical events and locations that are meaningful to California, but no Custer and no Bighorn).

They definitely sound like yups. They are prime examples of how class is something that can not be bought. What a rotten time you must have had!

It's very possible that the Mercedes is leased.......

Both of my parents were born in Texas but both came to California as children. When I was little, it was called 'supper', but slowly evolved into 'dinner' over the years. I was raised with a 'couch', but it has been a 'sofa' for over 4 decades.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
I spent over 20 years in California. I found all walks of life. I wouldn't call these folks yuppies. I would call them wanna be yuppies. They are trying so hard to do everything you would picture a yuppie to be and because they are trying so hard they go over board with it.

Now that you've brought it up, I wonder if their putting out the trail mix was more of trying to fit in. Trying so hard they are over-doing it also.

She had mushrooms on a plate so that's what I used my little bitty fork on. They didn't argue or giggle so I figured I got that one right.

Might have to take some Elk Steaks over and teach them how to grill.

Old 10-06-2010, 07:59 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Elk steaks,,,,,,man haven't had one in a while.

Old 10-06-2010, 08:08 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I spent over 20 years in California. I found all walks of life. I wouldn't call these folks yuppies. I would call them wanna be yuppies. They are trying so hard to do everything you would picture a yuppie to be and because they are trying so hard they go over board with it.

Now that you've brought it up, I wonder if their putting out the trail mix was more of trying to fit in. Trying so hard they are over-doing it also.

Might have to take some Elk Steaks over and teach them how to grill.
I think you probably pegged 'em right... except that's what yuppies DO. They don't have a clue how to REALLY be what they THINK they want to be, so they "ape the manners of their betters" and worst case, wind up looking ridiculous. But we see a LOT of that in the more upscale parts of California, to the point that it parodies itself. (Like that restaurant I mentioned!!)

When you take over elk steaks, be sure they know it's the ones you bring wrapped in paper, not the one walkin' on two legs And if you don't know how they view hunting, I might not tell 'em it's elk til after they eat.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
They aren't yuppies in my mind, more pretentious and pompous youngsters who for some reason think they're "above" the obviously backward hicks that live in MT and need to show these hicks how a "cultured" people live.
Seen it regularly in Aspenfish (whitefish) where many think they're "oh so special" and sooo much better than the commoners.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:58 AM

451 posts, read 999,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Elk steaks,,,,,,man haven't had one in a while.

Yummmm! Elk Burger is my favorite - cooked some three nights ago - almost out. Just in time for hunting season. Mmmmmmnnnmmm...

mg

Old 10-06-2010, 11:07 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
They aren't yuppies in my mind, more pretentious and pompous youngsters who for some reason think they're "above" the obviously backward hicks that live in MT and need to show these hicks how a "cultured" people live.
Well, if you ask me that "culture" is a dang lot of work, and not very nutritious!!

Old 10-06-2010, 11:26 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,064,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montygarlic View Post
Yummmm! Elk Burger is my favorite - cooked some three nights ago - almost out. Just in time for hunting season. Mmmmmmnnnmmm... mg
Our backyard is a feedlot and bed down sanctuary for many deer and they are always back there except ~~~~ now.
It seems that they are everywhere until a few days before hunting season begins they seem to sense it and go into hiding.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
So, we move to a place with supposedly no known natural disasters and wouldn't you know it... 4 tornados yesterday and golf ball to baseball size hail pretty much statewide.
My son's new car looks like it was attacked with a ball peen hammer! Boy is he ticked, car was parked at his dorm and when he went out yesterday morning dents everywhere. 20k miles and it may be a total loss...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana