Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times

Advertisements

Anyone got tickets to the wrestling match? I think it involves getting the Cousins near water. Best wear your mud gear!!

Old 11-08-2009, 01:22 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,059,923 times
You don't want the cousins anywhere near water. I remember one time they fell into a sewage lagoon, they don't really know how to swim but they sure went through all the movements !

Maybe that's why they smell so awful. They don't shower they just put on the old "redneck cologne"
Redneck cologne saves a lot of time and water, redneck cologne is just putting on deodorant OVER the b.o. !

Speaking of water, I have this picture of a place I lived at in Washington state for ten years. My home was the second cabin on the right from the one with the big bright blue roof. I could catch salmon from my front porch.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,430 times
Hello all - This is my first post although I have been reading off and on for a few years. I lived in Harlowton for several years in the '80s. It was my first job as a wildlife biologist and land manager for the Forest Service. Since then I have been all over the west but have never lost my love for MT. Alas, my first wife was not up for the wildness and ruggedness of central MT and we moved. Time has moved on and I am near retiring, have a great adventurous wife, and am ready to come back "home". I have loved the outdoors all my life and was in heaven in Harlow. I am looking for a place to retire and get in 10-15 years of good hunting and fishing before I get too stove up to get around. The Bitteroot Valley and the Bitteroot National Forest are where we want to be. We are looking for a 2-20 acre place with an old mobile on it (for the water and power) that we can garden some and grow some fruit trees. We have lived in high elevation WY so we know winter well. Several miles out of town would be good. I am glad to finally be posting on here and will read the threads.

Any advice/information anyone has about towns or areas around the valley will be apprecitated. I believe I read that Stevensville has a high crime rate. Does that apply if you have a shotgun by the front door? What is going on there?

I look forward to hearing from you.

TB

Old 11-08-2009, 03:24 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,120,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eecoman View Post
...............................I am looking for a place to retire and get in 10-15 years of good hunting and fishing before I get too stove up to get around. The Bitteroot Valley and the Bitteroot National Forest are where we want to be. We are looking for a 2-20 acre place with an old mobile on it (for the water and power) that we can garden some and grow some fruit trees. We have lived in high elevation WY so we know winter well. Several miles out of town would be good. I am glad to finally be posting on here and will read the threads.

Any advice/information anyone has about towns or areas around the valley will be apprecitated. I believe I read that Stevensville has a high crime rate. Does that apply if you have a shotgun by the front door? What is going on there?

I look forward to hearing from you.

TB
...eecoman;

Re Crime rate/Stevensville: I can happily report the following:
Violent crime: Stevi rating (2)....................U.S. rating (3)

Property Crime: Stevi rating (1)..................U.S. Rating (3)

Land Values: If you haven't looked into pricing lately here in the Bitterroot.......I'm afraid you are going to be quite shocked.

As you probably know, the price (per acre) of acreage in the B.R. (2 to 20), is dependent on:
1/ water rights; 2/ view of the mountains; 3/ trees; 4/ privacy; 5/zoning and/or covenants and how many acres.

The price for a 14 acre parcel (with a decent view, trees, privacy and covenants) has risen by a factor of at least 10 (or more) in the last 33 years.

I would suggest you subscribe to (2) papers: The Ravalli Republic(daily) and The Bitterroot Star(weekly)....both cover all of Ravalli County.

Good luck

Oh yea.........many sections of the B.R. River are 'catch & release', and the overall quality of hunting (for elk) in this area (Ravalli and Beaverhead Counties) has been severly/adversely effected by the number of wolves in the area in the last 5 years. Mule Deer are now found only in the Mountains (the W.T. and the increased human population drove them out of the valley floor).....but white tail deer are very numerous (on the valley floor and in the river bottom land.)

By the way, current population of Stevi is approx 2000
" " " Hamilton/4000
" " " Ravalli County/ 41000

Old 11-08-2009, 04:13 PM

You do realise that sewage lagoon was a lake, before the Cousins fell into it?!

Old 11-08-2009, 04:16 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Come over here for your muley and whitetail

Old 11-08-2009, 10:11 PM

Just be sure not to mistake Crumpet for a muley -- Crumpet is tough and stringy anyway!

Old 11-09-2009, 05:05 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,670,675 times
Thumbs up why waste a minute of your time?

Hi neighbors, busy work weeks here on the prairie. Hope everyone is getting ready for the holiday season. Since downsizing in the life I am considering one of these
Pull up Christmas Trees, Instant Christmas Tree. Pre-Decorated Tree.

Old 11-09-2009, 05:34 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,040 times
I am having Thanksgiving at my home, might just be our last time if this move happens.
We always since the kids were little go cut our own tree down so I am sure this yr will be
no different. I have to say my favorite time of yr is Christmas, I think I get more excited than the kids...

Old 11-09-2009, 05:36 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,040 times
Seven of nine, I like that tree, love how its decorated.
I say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana