Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 03:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Welcome to the Porch Nancy.
The Montana porch and the "locals" on it are so nice! Sometimes I think that lots of people currently living in Montana really hate people moving in..... Nice to stop by for a visit!!

Old 11-22-2009, 04:46 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
The Montana porch and the "locals" on it are so nice! Sometimes I think that lots of people currently living in Montana really hate people moving in..... Nice to stop by for a visit!!
PL, I started chatting on this forum so I could learn more about the state since I am not original to the big sky state.
I just always try to return the favor. As they say bring your job!
I also lurk around the Alaska photo thread, beautiful shots and friendly folks.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:24 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,760,768 times
Howdy Y'all:

Fiddlehead here. I was posting over on the Pittsburgh forum about how some folks want to close the barn door after they get in. Some fellow from Vermont, I believe.

I am an Oregonian. Interested in Montana. Not sure the better half shares my zeal. I like blue skies and cold winters with stars. I am also, for some ungodly reason, a fan of celtic culture. No, not the Enya New Age cra#!, rather fiddles, dancing, drinking, story telling, lively, unpretentious conversation, and just having fun. I hear Butte is something of an Irish enclave. True? Are Montanans anything like the Irish. In other words, do they like a good story or a good book and a warm pub on a cold winter's night?

In the likelihood that this thread completely misses the mark, where do you think the unique character of Montana folk comes from? Or are there important regional variations?

Old 11-22-2009, 05:30 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
Hey and welcome!
Glad you are giving us a try. I too am PDX original but living the dream here in Montana. Eastern Montana is a bit like Eastern Oregon, look at my album if you are interested. I at first thought your name was a reference to fern, I do miss them. Maiden fern being my favorite.
As to the Irish question,
http://www.mtgaelic.org/index.html
I meet many folks who really celebrate the Erin

Old 11-22-2009, 05:43 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Libby has an Irish Fair. Mmmmmm pastys !

Libby Montana Irish Fair & Crafts Show

Old 11-23-2009, 01:03 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
What sort of fish MIGHT you catch in the ditches?
Where I caught the bats (same spot both times) -- usually whitefish, a sort of glorified sucker that's not bad eating, if you watch out for the ten bazillion hair-fine bones!

Old 11-23-2009, 10:21 AM

448 posts, read 1,070,661 times
The first I ever heard of "the sound" Wow !! I happened to be able to fly into Anchorage when the northern lights were aglow!! Oh so mesmerizing. Now to look at them in a new light...lol

Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 AM

The band bios for the group playing the Libby Irish Fair are hilarious -- 2009 Libby Irish Fair Band Biographies

One of my fave bands does Celtic punk They talk a lot of trash (that goes with bein' Irish, ya know! Bein' part Irish, I can say that if I want , but are actually spectacularly good musicians, never a note out of place.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
In the likelihood that this thread completely misses the mark, where do you think the unique character of Montana folk comes from? Or are there important regional variations?
In my observation, mostly from the Irish and Dutch. (Lots of Dutch farmers in the Gallatin Valley; in its mining era, Butte was 90% Irish.) Apparently a more adventurous lot that the Norskes, who only got as far west as North Dakota. Or maybe more broke/cheaper, so they kept going in search of a better deal farther west.

If you put an Irishman and a Dutchman in a blender, you get someone who can find humour everywhere, and takes it dead-serious.

Tho as I recall the actual demographics, the primary settler group were German in origin, but they don't seem to have had as much influence overall (maybe a more dilute culture by that point in the westward migrations).

Old 11-23-2009, 12:04 PM

Every Picture Tells a Story:

This one from Lost Trail Pass tells this story:

Someone found themselves going from MT to ID... stopped, got out, inspected the "Welcome to Idaho" sign, made a big U-turn (obviously driving a truck) and went back to Montana!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana