U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2009, 09:38 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,612,022 times

Advertisements

Some dorks a few years ago got them as pets then moved on and left 'em for the rest of the area residents to "enjoy". Problem is they're messy and their screech can be unnerving if you're not used to it...

Old 04-23-2009, 09:49 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,935,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveHorses View Post
I just wonder how the heck they wound up in your neck of the woods.
Some guy first brought some to Hawaii, then in 1879 a rancher in California brought 3 pairs to his ranch and they just spread from there. There are many feral Peafowl in Montana. Pheasants as well as Pigeons were introduced to our country by immigrants for food.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:03 AM

1,688 posts, read 6,936,972 times
Anyone know the tongue twister about pheasants?

I am not the pheasant plucker,
I'm the pheasant plucker's son,
But I'll keep on plucking pheasants
'Til all the pheasant plucking's done.

The things you learn in a marriage....

Old 04-23-2009, 12:01 PM

7,549 posts, read 12,635,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Some dorks a few years ago got them as pets then moved on and left 'em for the rest of the area residents to "enjoy". Problem is they're messy and their screech can be unnerving if you're not used to it...
Yeah, they sound like a woman screaming "HAAALP!"

They'll eat your garden and even young trees, almost as bad as sheep. (And I figure my neighbour owes me a lamb to eat... his sheep were over here and ate my trees on Tuesday.)

So... since they're feral in MT now, are you allowed to hunt 'em? They're supposed to be good eatin'.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 PM

1,688 posts, read 6,936,972 times
Dinner and new fashion accessories rolled into one.

Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM

4,938 posts, read 5,830,547 times
Peacocks are good eating!! a Roman delacacy back in the day was Peacock brains. (pretty small serving ) Actually, the bird itself tastes a lot like phesant.

One thing they are great for is keeping down the snakes. They come from India originally, snake heaven , and they will eat rattlers really well.

My father has some at his place near Big Timber where there are significant populations of snakes all around his place, but he has never seen one as he has the peacocks on patrol.

They eat tons of grasshoppers too as well as a host of other bugs. They are great watchdogs. They really make a rukkus (sp) if there is a preditor around.

Yes they are dirty, (like all birds), yes they are noisy, (like most birds), but they are fun to watch, pay their way by taking out tons of insects and lots of snakes, they are good watch alarms. As long as they stay home, I like them!

Old 04-23-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Yes they are dirty, (like all birds), yes they are noisy, (like most birds)
You just insulted Peekaboo ! She takes a bath every day in her water dish.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:19 PM

7,549 posts, read 12,635,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
Peacocks are good eating!! a Roman delacacy back in the day was Peacock brains. (pretty small serving ) Actually, the bird itself tastes a lot like phesant.

One thing they are great for is keeping down the snakes. They come from India originally, snake heaven , and they will eat rattlers really well.
Place I used to live had a bunch of peacocks. One day I found where a nest of baby rattlers had come up from a gopher hole... by the tracks there'd been about a dozen, and none of 'em made it more than 30 feet.

'Twas peacock tongue in the Roman era... one thing servants are good at is getting their 'betters' to eat only the 'delicacy' parts... leaves that much more for the servants to eat

Old 04-23-2009, 03:02 PM

When I lived in San Diego I remember a news article about an illegal border jumper who was in the zoo pulling the tail feathers out of the many Peacocks that roam the zoo freely among the visitors. He was trying to sell them to the tourists !

Old 04-23-2009, 03:14 PM

4,938 posts, read 5,830,547 times
My most sincere appologies to Peekaboo.
I had no intention of classifying a classy bird like that in the same catagory as say a pigeon!!

And it was Hummingbird tounge the Romans ate, Peacock brain.
(although I can't say I would think of either as a taste treat!!) Romans had all the culinary discretion of a starving coyote. They are kind of like some of the elites today that pay big bucks for 3 peas and a twist of orange peel just so they can say they ate at Chez Snob.
The Romans liked Exotic, so the weirder the better. And after they ate all that high priced garbage, the vomitorium was always handy......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana