U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-12-2010, 10:41 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,514,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Hey MTSilvertip.....................

Speakin' of those 'white' MT plates from several years back.. here's a little bit of 'useless info' you might find interesting.............

Over the last few days I've been driving around the 'country side' (S/E AZ) in an area somewhat bounded by the towns of Patagonia, Sonoita, Elgin & Canelo. The area is referenced as "The Mountain Empire" The Canelo Hills and a good portion of the Coronado Nat'l Forest are in the center.

Anyway..................I've got one of those MT 'white' plates on the front that was "blank" when I got it from a friend. So I put (2) big decals on it: one is the "Rky Mt Elk Foundation" and the other is "The Big Sky Upland Bird Assoc".

Below (and on the rear) it I've got the Gallatin County Plate that has the words: "open land" across the bottom. The background is a mountain scene with a creek and obviously the word MONTANA across the top. This is the way they come from the state....with the space in the center for the "numbers". So a few years back I ordered the plate with the word "SCENIC" instead of numbers.

If you read the plate from top to bottom, it says:...................................
"MONTANA SCENIC OPEN LAND"

.........OK................ here's why I gave the above info: I got stopped by The Boarder Patrol!....They saw the MT Plates and (I guess) wondered why I was driving gravel roads this close to the border.

I had pulled off a gravel county road (a few miles south of Patagonia and about 15 miles north of Nogales) to let my dog out of his Travel Crate to run and pee......well, I just started to get out (to go around to the back end of the SUV (has factory tinted windows), when this B.P. vehicle pulls up, 2 guys get out and came up to the back end and peered in and saw the outline of this large "crate"........ They asked what what was in it....I said a dog...(NOTE: I was thinkin' of sayin' "my buddy Pablo"--phoney Dog Name--, but then I didn't know how my Montana Humor would go over.) They asked me to open up the back end which I did.... They asked several questions about Montana and said they really liked the MT Plates. Also asked if I had a handgun for protection. I unziped the top of my "dog ditty bag" (which sets right next to the dog crate), right inside is a S&W .44 mag, Mdl 29 ...... The older one smiles & says: "nice dog, enjoy your trip" and "keep the dog's bag unzipped" when you stop like this!!!...... Nice guys, polite and friendly.
This kind of story would never come out of California! Of course, here, the BP only looks for illegals, drugs in hidden compartments and exotic birds stuffed into hiding places.

Just curious: when they stop people, do they ever ask for permits?

Old 02-13-2010, 09:49 AM

271 posts, read 254,977 times
I just had to share this....
Knowing how much it's driving me nuts to be living down here, my daughter thought I'd really gone around the bend this morning. She was listening to a police scanner this morning and heard a report that they had picked up a naked person, wearing nothing but snow boots, sliding down the highway singing "Ice Ice Baby". She sent me a text asking, "Where are you?" lol lol lol!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:29 AM

6,044 posts, read 6,116,119 times
Thumbs up I'm a Happy Boy !

I rode my bicycle around town yesterday in sandals and a tee shirt (I did have my pants on though), singing "I'm a happy boy" by the Beat Farmers). We are soooo melting out. I have even been seeing flies, gnats and ants the last couple of days. If the bugs are coming out it may be a good fishing season between ice-out and muddy river blow-up when Spring really gets here.
I'm tuning up my fishing gear and getting ready for some bait casting and serious trolling in my "Tupperware Trawler" shown below. I may be fitting it with a small mast and jib rig soon, with the electric motor down and the batteries in the bilge I have plenty of ballast to counter balance a small sail.

[IMG]http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss174/nomadiyak/***.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 PM

474 posts, read 869,336 times
ROFL That is TOO funny.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:00 PM

6,298 posts, read 6,931,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowdreamer View Post
She was listening to a police scanner this morning and heard a report that they had picked up a naked person, wearing nothing but snow boots, sliding down the highway singing "Ice Ice Baby".
Haha!!! Reminds me of the guy we used to see at lunchtime in downtown Billings, roller-skating in nothing but shorts no matter how cold the weather, and singing opera at the top of his lungs. (Someone told me he was some high-end business dude, and this was how he relaxed!)

There's a guy in downtown L.A. who also does the lunchtime touring opera thing, but he walks, and wears a kilt.

If more people had the chutzpah to express themselves like this, the world would be a more interesting place

Old 02-13-2010, 08:04 PM

6,259 posts, read 8,065,368 times
Now careful what you wish for
The one time I was in NYC I saw this guy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naked_Cowboy

Old 02-14-2010, 02:01 AM

474 posts, read 869,336 times
I have seen him too. Standing in Times Square wearing boots, cowboy hat and tiddy whities and guitar. And collecting money from tourists. He actually ran for Mayor

N.Y.C.'s 'Naked Cowboy' plans to run for mayor | New Jersey Real-Time News - - NJ.com

Old 02-14-2010, 03:10 AM

1,740 posts, read 1,713,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Haha!!! Reminds me of the guy we used to see at lunchtime in downtown Billings, roller-skating in nothing but shorts no matter how cold the weather, and singing opera at the top of his lungs. (Someone told me he was some high-end business dude, and this was how he relaxed!)
LOL! Now that's living.

Old 02-14-2010, 06:30 AM

517 posts, read 718,594 times
Thats to funny. Snowdreamer that was great!!
I have seen the cowboy on T.V. and a friend on facebook,
lives in NY and posted pics of him...

Old 02-15-2010, 04:46 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,065,368 times
My relatives just above the panhandle in FL called me and said they had 6 inches of snow.
Unbelievable.
Good morning neighbors, seems we have a few new posters, hope they stop by our "porch"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana