Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
Do you really think that's a good idea? Encouraging them to come close to human?
Well, I live in their country, it's not the reverse where they live in mine.

When I go outside in the middle of the night, I'm respectful of my surroundings. There can be anything out there. I've seen deer, antelope, elk, moose, black bears, wolves, mountain lions, and now, Grizz. No, I don't want to pet them. hahahaha But the critters are around. I have horses out here and they don't seem to mind.

No. I didn't get pictures yet. Didn't want to spook them. Now that she's come up here and fed, she'll be back. I'm not sure where she's denning at. Report in the paper yesterday said that the griz's in Yellowtone have come out and are wandering around.

They also say that we don't have any wolfs around here. I'm here to tell you they are plentiful.

A lot of folks would complain that the critters are in their neighborhood. I feel that I'm in their neighborhood. I need to respect them and pay attention to what I'm doing. They were here before me and they'll be here long after I'm gone.

Last night I had cat on the bar-b-q. Best meat you'll ever eat. Mountain lion weighed about 80 lbs.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:27 AM

271 posts, read 460,292 times
Click image for larger version

Name:	image002[1].jpg
Views:	175
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	58921

Out Elk's backdoor, any day now. LOL!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:31 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,674,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES:

You have to be a certain age to appreciate this. I can hear my mother now.....THE BASIC RULES FOR CLOTHESLINES: (if you don't know what clotheslines are, better skip this.)

1. You had to wash the clothes line before hanging any clothes- walk the whole length of each line with a damp cloth around the lines.

2. You had to hang the clothes in a certain order, and always hang "whites" with "whites," and hang them first.

3. You never hung a shirt by the shoulders - always by the tail! What would the neighbors think?

4. Wash day on a Monday! Never hang clothes on the weekend, or Sunday, for Heaven's sake!

5. Hang the sheets and towels on the outside lines so you could hide your unmentionables" in the middle (perverts & busybodies, y'know).

6. It didn't matter if it was sub zero weather . . . Clothes would "freeze-dry."

7. Always gather the clothes pins when taking down dry clothes! Pins left on the lines were "tacky!"

8. If you were efficient, you would line the clothes up so that each item did not need two clothes pins, but shared one of the clothes pins with the next washed item.

9. Clothes off of the line before dinner time, neatly folded in the clothes basket and ready to be ironed.

10. IRONED? Well, that's a whole other subject!

A POEM

A clothesline was a news forecast
To neighbors passing by.
There were no secrets you could keep
When clothes were hung to dry.
It also was a friendly link
For neighbors always knew
If company had stopped on by
To spend a night or two.
For then you'd see the "fancy sheets"
And towels upon the line;
You'd see the "company table cloths"
With intricate designs.
The line announced a baby's birth
From folks who lived inside -
As brand new infant clothes were hung,
So carefully with pride!
The ages of the children could
So readily be known
By watching how the sizes changed,
You'd know how much they'd grown!
It also told when illness struck,
As extra sheets were hung;
Then nightclothes, and a bathrobe, too,
Haphazardly were strung.
It also said, "Gone on vacation now"
When lines hung limp and bare.
It told, "We're back!" when full lines sagged
With not an inch to spare!
New folks in town were scorned upon
If wash was dingy and gray,
As neighbors carefully raised their brows,
And looked the other way . .
But clotheslines now are of the past,
For dryers make work much less.
Now what goes on inside a home
Is anybody's guess!
I really miss that way of life.
It was a friendly sign
When neighbors knew each other best
By what hung on the line!

========

And now we have these forums to see what each other is up to!
Rez here is some interesting information on lines, I got it off a Martha site last year. Yes you cannot have clothes lines in some cities!
Project Laundry List promotes clotheslines, drying racks and green laundry

Old 03-02-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Well, I live in their country, it's not the reverse where they live in mine.

When I go outside in the middle of the night, I'm respectful of my surroundings. There can be anything out there. I've seen deer, antelope, elk, moose, black bears, wolves, mountain lions, and now, Grizz. No, I don't want to pet them. hahahaha But the critters are around. I have horses out here and they don't seem to mind.

No. I didn't get pictures yet. Didn't want to spook them. Now that she's come up here and fed, she'll be back. I'm not sure where she's denning at. Report in the paper yesterday said that the griz's in Yellowtone have come out and are wandering around.

They also say that we don't have any wolfs around here. I'm here to tell you they are plentiful.

A lot of folks would complain that the critters are in their neighborhood. I feel that I'm in their neighborhood. I need to respect them and pay attention to what I'm doing. They were here before me and they'll be here long after I'm gone.

Last night I had cat on the bar-b-q. Best meat you'll ever eat. Mountain lion weighed about 80 lbs.
Now that should bring your lady friend back!
That has to be exciting but I would have to break for a potty run!

Old 03-02-2010, 10:35 AM

You know the proximity of the deer to us over here just has to bring around something. The old timers say there are lions around.
I met a fellow who went on a lion hunt a couple of years back, very impressive photos. They had dogs, did you EH?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:48 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,159,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Rez here is some interesting information on lines, I got it off a Martha site last year. Yes you cannot have clothes lines in some cities!
Project Laundry List promotes clotheslines, drying racks and green laundry
Yeah, one of the many cannots... tho if it were challenged in court such a prohibition probably would not hold up. A similar prohibition on rooftop TV antennas got struck down in L.A. -- I forget the details but it amounted to "you can't prohibit residents from doing normal things everyone does".

That site's pic demonstrating "global warming undies" is hilarious

They're a bit too much on agenda and not enough fact, tho. Frex, contrary to what they claim, sunlight damages clothes a lot more than dryers do, because the UV rays eat most fabrics as well as bleaching out colour. And dryers nearly always are vented to the outdoors, so that "heats up the house when it's already hot" thing is just nonsense, far as the outflow is concerned.

Tho I vent mine indoors because I only use it in winter (and rarely at that), and I see no reason to let that heat escape when I already paid for it! The rest of the time I hang stuff from a big wire rack over the washer, cuz that evaporating moisture is also precious and I don't want to lose it to the outdoors -- it's that much less humidifying I need to do in this desert! I only use the outdoor line for big stuff, but have to watch the wind so my sheets don't wind up in Tucson, clothesline and all!

Old 03-02-2010, 08:06 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,527,926 times
Quote:
You know that is the way I travel from the west coast, but I have only done it in the summer.
Hope someone else has good advice, good luck on the college search, I am down to one in school!
Well, the plans are 3/4 made now.......they are going to fly into Spokane and take it from there......the two school tours have been set up....hotel reservations are still on the horizon.....I'm not sure that he booked the right kind of car....I don't want them sliding all over the road...he's lived in Germany and has driven in snow there and elsewhere, but still, I'd like to have them in my 4wd..anyway, it's a go....

I noticed a river right by the Missoula campus today.....looks like it is going to be a pretty area......

Old 03-02-2010, 08:11 PM

great, keep us posted.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Don't use mapquest, use Google maps, then click the "terrain" tab. It will give you a fairly good idea, especially if you zoom in.

I've been over that route in crappy spring weather (snowstorm at the top of the pass) and the Interstate was still pretty good. The worst of it was heavy rain down toward Pullman, to where you practically couldn't see the road. Yes I-90 goes thru a ton of mountains, but it's mostly not as steep (nor even a fraction as congested) as the Grapevine and not nearly as curvy as Hwy 14 thru Tehachapi, to cite a couple SoCal mountain roads you might know I-90's mountains do go on for a lot more miles, tho. I vaguely recall that it usually took me about 4 hours from Missoula to Spokane, but I toodle along at about 50mph.

BTW don't speed in Washington, they're really hard-*****ed about ticketing, and that stretch north from Pullman was always heavily patrolled when I was doing that trip semi-regularly (okay, a couple decades ago, but still...

Montana Highway cameras
You want Lookout Pass

And as they say on Traveler Information - Weather Information
"Please note: At night, the camera image will appear black and the
roadway will not be visible due to a lack of illumination." Who'd have guessed?!

See also State of Montana Road Condition Map
and Montana Traveler Information
Thanks for the info....I'll pass it along..... Oh yea, I'm a California Girl so there aren't too many freeways that I don't know.... I've been on the 14 just a few times but I've been over the Grapevine about 3 trillion.....

Old 03-02-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Yes, still plenty of coppers in WA! Seems like the worrisome spot is coming out of Wallace. A little curvy with shady spots for ice.
LOL.......had to look up to see the location of Wallace....it's on 90.......I swear, I'll worry about them until the come back....

It gets pretty icy-frozen around Coeur D'Alene, too, right? (I wonder if there will ever be a day when I don't have to look up the spelling of that town......grrrr!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana