U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-02-2010, 08:26 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,352,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I always found the ice was mostly thru Idaho -- because the trees are (or at least were back then) tall and right alongside the road, so it stays shaded all day. The trees were cut back further from the road thru MT, so the roadbed gets more sun and the ice burns off better.
Yep, that is why I asked/made the comment about C D'A......(hahaha, don't want to look it up again....I always want to put an additional A or two in there)... I had checked out the Eagle, Idaho area for over a year....(near Boise).....for retirement...we finally decided against it a few months ago.. The road near Horseshoe Bend gets pretty icy....and I figured up north does too.....

Unread 03-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Quote:
More on bears in L.A., with a picture of one on someone's city patio!

Los Angeles Suburbs Telling Residents: Don't Feed the Bears - AOL News

460 sightings IN TOWN (mind you, Monrovia isn't on the edge of the wilderness! far from it!!) in the last year?? I'd guess that's comparable to all the bear sightings for the whole state of MT!

When they say "Angeles National Forest" ... be aware it's more like "Angeles National Scrub Brush". No one in MT would call that scatter of scrub oaks and junipers a "forest".
I agree with that Scrub Brush stuff.....I was raised a couple of hours from Tahoe, and that, to me, was 'the forest'......Mammoth had a 'forest'..... I don't consider manzanita a forest......

We lived in Monrovia before we moved down to the beach... One town runs into another in S. California for the most part, but several towns, Monrovia being one of them, are right up against the San Gabriel Mountains and there is nothing beyond, so I guess that is what they mean by 'wilderness'... (I loved Monrovia but have never missed the summer smog.....the mountains prevent it from moving, so it just stays there). We lived high in the hills above town...most people didn't know this, but 2 minutes above our house there was a park with a gorgeous waterfall in it, rushing water, (not a tiny stream), deer, the whole works.....we went there all the time..(it felt like a mini-Yosemite without the tourists)...it was such an escape....very pretty.

We had several avocado trees on our property so we had wildlife, the worst were the skunks....we couldn't even enjoy our backyard after dark.....it was the pits.....we caught quite a few in our have-a-hart traps and had them hauled away.... We also had a mean raccoon that came up to the sliding window.....he tried to get at our dog....heck, she was wiggling her taill, wanting to get outside to play with a new friend.....it was pretty scary.... (We have wildlife in our beach area too, though....the scariest being cougars and rattle snakes)....

Anyway, the first bear was Samson......they named him after he came to 'visit' a few times....he loved pools and hot tubs.....he was such a menace, (they'd drug him and haul him off but he always came back), so they finally captured him and put him in the Santa Ana Zoo.....he got old and died a few years back of liver disease or something like that....everybody was really sad about it....

There are quite a few bears now.....they have been coming out of the mountains because of the drought....and of course, they are always looking for snacks, too.. It's an urban area, so this is unexpected for the most part...small animals disappear, people are afraid to let their kids play outside, etc...(mountain lions, coyotes, bobcats, etc). I think they've updated their garbage cans so that they are bear proof, etc., but they just keep coming...

They do a lot of filming in Monrovia...many famous cinema movies and tv movies....always have camera crews there.... The main street, Myrtle Avenue, is really cute.....there are no visible palm trees so it could be any little midwestern-town-USA.... Monrovia is probably about 125 years old now.....it turned 100 when we lived there....I remember signing my name on a quilt that was to be displayed in the town museum..... It used to be famous for a tb sanitarium in the olden days......

Unread 03-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I did it. I got a bear to come up and eat. I'm an old mountain man and I grow a grizzly beard.

I finally got a grizzly to come up and feed. They say that we don't have grizzly's in this area. Bull ****. They are here. I had a sow come up and feed her. I'm talking right up to the cabin. She wasn't real big. Maybe 300 lbs or so. My dog went nuts.
EH, please keep writing a message on this thread at least once a day so that we know you are still alive.

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
BTW Elk, didja get pictures? Ain't never seen a live grizzly myself!!
That's why I want to go to Alaska. I have been to Yellowstone 2 - 3 times, the last time when I was @ 15......I don't think I saw one there, can't remember.. We would get up before sunrise and see all the animals coming out of their hiding places to drink.....

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
From my experience, driving through both, WSU and Missoula, I think that Missoula would have less winter snow than WSU. Spokane would always have colder, windier, snow more than Missoula. AND Missoula isn't a "party" school like WSU is...Check it completely. Look out for the troopers and stay at the speed limit.
Thanks for this info.....yep, I've read that there is not much to do in Pullman for the kids...

And I also read that it is heavily populated with those ZOG people..(I think it was called ZOG....Zionist something or other)...and they 'pounce' on kids who haven't made friends yet.....

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janab View Post
I neglected to mention that Lake Davis is (was) the water source for the city of Portola, so much more dollars was spent on a water supply the second round of poisoning. Oh and did I mention that lately there is talk of poisoning again. What does an endless supply of taxpayers money do? The town is dead, why can't fish & game just move on?
AGAIN? Oh no!

Unread 03-02-2010, 09:09 PM

Maybe I should get on here more often so that I don't respond to, oh, 15 in a row.........ROFL

Have a good evening all.......

Unread 03-03-2010, 04:59 AM

16,827 posts, read 19,553,841 times
Didn't see her last night. I gotta figure out where her den is. It's early so she's not roaming too far, she's gotta be close. I went for a walk at about 4:30am and didn't see her. I took my dog with me and she would have let me know if the sow was around. Nothing.

Unread 03-03-2010, 08:17 AM

6,259 posts, read 7,688,198 times
Gotta love a dog, the only thing in the world that lives to truly sacrifice itself for you. EH you are living more in one day that some of us do in a year. Yep I'm gripping about civilization.

Unread 03-03-2010, 08:24 AM

14 posts, read 22,090 times
Default Right thread

Hope I'm in the right thread. Introduction of us. I'm Jamie married to my best bud 16 yrs ( and counting). blessed twice 1 boy 1 girl. We're moving to Bozeman area. We're shutting down the comp. Friday & heading that way. All of us are excited, & cant wait to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana