U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 07:10 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
White icing......
Haha, Montana considered as a birthday cake

Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 PM

18,696 posts, read 36,365,197 times
I'm going to say this and I'll probably step on...... Ok, I tread lightly because it hurts.

I talk to my maker often. The Sun, the Wind, the Clouds all furnish me with everyithing I need. I was just on another thread and it really pissed me off.

My maker takes care of me. I talk to him quite regular. He understands. Some folks will say that you gotta be Lutheran or Catholic or Prespeterian or what the hell are you talking about? Organized religion? I'm sorry, my maker created me.

I have a little voice that talks to me over my shoulder. He's quite reasonable. He's fair headed. He says, "You idiot, don't do that!" so I don't. He says, "Treat you're family right." I do. They appreciate it. But I don't need to go to an organized church to talk to my maker. You talk to your maker as a friend. You communicate. You discuss things. Sometimes you argue, some times you agree. But you come to an understanding. My maker is my friend. I've talked to him/her for a long time and he/she believes in what I do. The smoke god rules. Fue will undertand that. I believe in a God that listens. And my God does. And, by the way. I'm a white man. But I believe.

I go up on the Mountain regularly. I visit with my maker. Hey, he's good people. He treats me right.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 03-04-2010, 09:10 PM

7,540 posts, read 12,573,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have a little voice that talks to me over my shoulder. He's quite reasonable. He's fair headed. He says, "You idiot, don't do that!" so I don't.
<vision of a bear tapping Elk on the shoulder>

Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,293 posts, read 3,327,796 times
[quote=ElkHunter;13161601]
........................He's (my maker) fair headed. He says, "You idiot, don't do that!" so I don't................end Quote]..................

Ya know......sometimes just a short little phrase ( i.e. You idiot, don't do that!), jogs the memory back to many years ago. Ok, you can see it coming....a "short story"...................

Many years ago...when I was about 13 yrs old...I lived in northern Illinois, just south of the Wisconsin line. There were no deer in that area at that time, except an occasional one that would wander (down from Wis) into our (rural) area two or three times in the winter. I had just acquired my first 'big game rifle'.... an old .30/40 Krag (not converted to a sporter). One snowy day during Christmas vacation (just before dusk), I looked out the kitchen window and saw a white tail buck (4x4) pawing at some snow covered edible brush about 100 yards from the house. In that direction there were no houses for about 2 miles. Mom wasn't home and I figured I'd nail that deer and surprise mom with some additional meat for the rest of the winter. After all, I'd been getting my share of rabbits, pheasants and ducks with my little .22 rifle for the last couple of years.....and mom really appreciated the help with the grocery bill. And we were in the later stages of WWII and times were lean!

So I put on my heavy coat and snow boots, snuck out the back door, crept up to about 50 yards of the deer (behind the cover of some high brush), laid down prone and had a "dead bead" on his shoulder/lung area. After about 30 seconds of debating should I squeeze the trigger????.....I swear a little voice from the "back of my mind" said: "You idiot, don't do that!!!". I laid there for another minute or so (knowing that if I did it, ....I'd be violating the law --there was no deer season back then--). So, I slowly got up and walked back to the house.

That moment stuck with me, and to this day, I've never illegally killed a deer or any other wild game animal........and I've hunted and harvested virtually every game animal and bird in the western states and Alaska (except Mt Goat and Mt Sheep). And ya know....as I think back on that moment.....I think I remember feeling 'pretty good about myself', having not "squeezed that trigger."

Funny......how certain things in life stay with you..............

Old 03-04-2010, 11:47 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,719,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
And I think those are teachers...!!

When I'd run out of things to do in the auditorium study hall, I could always look at the detail work on the ceiling, the woodwork, etc. It was as beautiful as any fancy old-style opera house. We really knew how to build 'em in those days!

I had wonderful teachers all through HS, too. They must all be retired now; I didn't recognise any of the names on the faculty roster.

Gad, my 40th class reunion is in two years. Now I feel old!!
Heck yea those are teachers! I don't know any kids who would be caught looking like that.

You were born during the year of the horse?

Old 03-05-2010, 12:05 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,719,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I'm going to say this and I'll probably step on...... Ok, I tread lightly because it hurts.

I talk to my maker often. The Sun, the Wind, the Clouds all furnish me with everyithing I need. I was just on another thread and it really pissed me off.

My maker takes care of me. I talk to him quite regular. He understands. Some folks will say that you gotta be Lutheran or Catholic or Prespeterian or what the hell are you talking about? Organized religion? I'm sorry, my maker created me.

I have a little voice that talks to me over my shoulder. He's quite reasonable. He's fair headed. He says, "You idiot, don't do that!" so I don't. He says, "Treat you're family right." I do. They appreciate it. But I don't need to go to an organized church to talk to my maker. You talk to your maker as a friend. You communicate. You discuss things. Sometimes you argue, some times you agree. But you come to an understanding. My maker is my friend. I've talked to him/her for a long time and he/she believes in what I do. The smoke god rules. Fue will undertand that. I believe in a God that listens. And my God does. And, by the way. I'm a white man. But I believe.

I go up on the Mountain regularly. I visit with my maker. Hey, he's good people. He treats me right.

One time, on another thread, I made a comment.......rickers found me and teased me......I teased back.....something about margaritas......well, that solidified it......he invited me to the porch. It took me awhile to come...and then I was hit and miss.......and now I am here too much for my own good.

I come here because everybody is a bit different, (key word is 'bit'....LOL), everybody gets along, nobody tries to outdo one another....it's refreshing to learn about others who don't need to impress...... Heck, I don't live in Montana and it remains to be seen if my daughter will go to school in Missoula, but everybody is nice to me anyway and I am learning about an area of the states that has been kind of foreign to me....I appreciate the unique stories and also, the patience of all when I ask ridiculously stupid questions....what a wonderful porch this is and I don't even have to shower in order to visit.......

You are definitely a child of the earth, no matter what type of maker you converse with...and on here you can write about anything and nobody is going to attack you......just keep your dog and horse near you so that no bears will sneak up from behind.....

Old 03-05-2010, 03:22 AM

475 posts, read 1,315,232 times

Very well said Elk, I agree with you completely.

There are a lot of people sitting in churches on Sunday morning who spend their week cheating, lieing and doing great harm to others.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:40 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,932,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reedsmit View Post

Very well said Elk, I agree with you completely.

There are a lot of people sitting in churches on Sunday morning who spend their week cheating, lieing and doing great harm to others.

I also totally agree.

Old 03-05-2010, 03:42 AM

2,625 posts, read 4,932,476 times
Good morning everyone! I wrote an article that was in last Sunday's Miami Herald. If you care to read it, here is the link:
Savoring a lifetime of gardening - Gardening - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/02/28/1499783/savoring-a-lifetime-of-gardening.html#none - broken link)

Old 03-05-2010, 05:11 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,889,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Good morning everyone! I wrote an article that was in last Sunday's Miami Herald. If you care to read it, here is the link:
Savoring a lifetime of gardening - Gardening - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/02/28/1499783/savoring-a-lifetime-of-gardening.html#none - broken link)
PL! A bit of celebrity here on the porch!
That is a great link, I think some of us are just born to farm/garden, dirt is in our blood. I love all your photos also! We are lucky you stop by.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana