U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times

Advertisements

EH,
I personally do not think that the Heavenly Father gives a crap load of you are sending in your dollars or warming a pew. I have been with many folks dying. There is a maker and he is a welcoming presence. Peace be to you today.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:14 AM

519 posts, read 1,220,163 times
ElkHunter, what a wonderful post and thanks for sharing. My family and I have tried a few churches and have had that feeling that its just not the right place for us. About a yr ago we found a church non-nondeminational.(sp) A church where the preacher is just as you or I, whom believes that the biggest thing you believe is that you have to believe. There is no judgement on anyone there and you can go one week and cry and then next laugh your ass off. Its been an amazing experience for my family and has brought us closer. We go because we want to not cause we feel we have to or we think we should. The best part is that they pick things that you deal with in real life and pick it apart and try to help you make sense of things, like relationships and such.
This church has taught me that you need to live life now and that we are here only a short time and my family does, we try not to miss out on anything. Not afaid of dying anymore, I used to be scared of heights, I used to smoke, yes as embarrising as it is I even used to scared of the dark, I have talked with my creator about these things, and now I no longer smoke, and have no more desire to!!, I am not affraid of heights, and yup no longer afraid of the dark. I love my life and realize that it is up to me to make it good. The other thing they are always telling us is that we are the church not the church itself so EH you are most definatly doing as our creator wants!!!!
I really do stop and smell the roses now, and watch the wild life and just relax in all of what life has to offer me. Now we just away that moment that we will be able to enjoy the new destination that our creator has in store for us.
--------------------------------------------------------
Wurzig I agree this site is amazing with all of the different people. And have never felt I was being judged and because everyone does get along, thats hard to find with people sometimes.

--------------------------------------------------------
plantlover that was a wonderful article thank you for sharing!!!

Last edited by Mt.SNOW; 03-05-2010 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Added things.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:18 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,896,636 times
Wurz, we are glad you have found us, the goal of this thread at the beginning was a way to talk amongst ourselves in a neighborly way. We get interesting folks stopping by but the ones interested in a big debate find themselves not responded to. There are plenty of threads for that! I wanted to talk to other folks in the state since we are a bit isolated over here in the eastern side. Montana has been my home for a little over five years and I learn things daily. Glad rickers found ya! He is a crafty fellow His wife is a saint.

Old 03-05-2010, 06:41 AM

7,540 posts, read 12,581,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Heck yea those are teachers! I don't know any kids who would be caught looking like that.

You were born during the year of the horse?
Haha, yeah, especially not HS kids

Year of the ... huh?? what year-of was 1955? something undignified, I think. I skipped first grade (could already read at about a 4th grade level) so I was a year ahead, had just turned 17 when I graduated.

Old 03-05-2010, 08:31 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
Hi ya all. Our whole family (Katie, me, our dog and parrot) just took a working two day vacation across the northern Rockies, through Lincoln, Missoula and up to Hot Springs. We came back through Kalispell, and back over along the high-line. Our place on the Rez is being well taken care of by our tenants there and we gave them the OK to plant a row of fast growing shade trees where they are needed. Our closest friends there just got a new baby in the family but another friend is gone for good now. A friend who is a tribal member there was doing great until she fell off the wagon, went to the other side of the rez to a drinking fest and was beaten to death.
Hot Springs also just lost a guy who was on my very short list of people I never want to see again. A former renter who is a major thug, thief and big bully who loves to beat the snot out of his petite girlfriend regularly, has skipped town running from the law and a few very angry vigilantes.
We tried a popular eatery, The chain called MacKenzie River Pizza Co. What a waste of time and money that was but we did find out about a few eateries we haven't been to yet that are suppose to be very good and we'll check them out in a month when we go back over. One is in Whitefish and claims to have "authentic immigrant Italian cuisine" and is called Ciao Mambo. The other is near Polson and is supposed to be a very good place, it is called East Shore Smoke House. They claim "blues, booze and barbecue". I'll pass on the booze part but I have to hear the blues and chow down on the Q.
I have some fence material and am planning to build a small privacy fence here in Mayberry Montana in my tiny backyard just like the one I built at my Hot Springs place. Picture below. Not commercial looking at all I did mess up on the first section shown with the cement form slipping. I do everything myself to cutting down the poles of Lodgepole Pine and slotting them to felling the big Tamaracks and splitting the shakes for the wood panels with the froe I made for splitting the shakes. The lower panels are 2 inch thick concrete poured in place and locked into the routered post slots.
This is most likely the only fence just like this you all will ever see and has no screws or nails but I do use steel hardware on the gates. Way too much work for most home owners to be bothered with.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I have some fence material and am planning to build a small privacy fence here in Mayberry Montana in my tiny backyard just like the one I built at my Hot Springs place. Picture below. Not commercial looking at all I did mess up on the first section shown with the cement form slipping. I do everything myself to cutting down the poles of Lodgepole Pine and slotting them to felling the big Tamaracks and splitting the shakes for the wood panels with the froe I made for splitting the shakes. The lower panels are 2 inch thick concrete poured in place and locked into the routered post slots.
This is most likely the only fence just like this you all will ever see and has no screws or nails but I do use steel hardware on the gates. Way too much work for most home owners to be bothered with.
Nice job, and other than that newfangled cement part, looks properly rustic

So those are short shakes, not long boards, that form the panels? How did you fasten them to the poles without nails or screws? Did you mean they sit in a tongue-and-groove arrangement between the crosspoles? Sounds like a lot of work to get everything aligned square! Neat idea, tho.

As to the gate hardware, your choices are either steel, rawhide, or rope... I've had rope-hinged gates, it can work okay but they are more inclined to sag and break, or freeze in place so you can't get the gate open (or shut, as the case may be).

Old 03-05-2010, 10:14 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,880,577 times
It's all slots that the shakes fit in and because the poles are tapered and bumpy, each tamarack split has to be custom cut and on the sloping stretch the ends have to match the slope degree to appear vertical. The posts are ten feet long and the lower four feet are tarred and in cement and the cross poles have a custom cut end with a boss tang that fits into the slots on the posts. I *** routered all the slots in the posts and poles. The lower concrete panel is to prevent the spread of noxious weeds into my yard and to discourage dogs digging out and skunks or coons from wandering in and the gate hinges are black painted wrought iron. Our tenants leave the gate open so deer bed down in the backyard at night and they keep their dog inside.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 AM

Ah, that's some good thinkin' about how the poles taper and matching the shakes just so -- otherwise the shakes would be falling out of one end or your fence would slope most peculiarly As it is, it looks perfectly square, a person doesn't even notice the tapering or the adjustments.

Good reasons for the cement footing. I was wondering if it had some function like that. I suppose a person could use something heavier like thick planks or railroad ties for the same purpose, that's too solid for a dog to knock out and would halt the weed seeds.

You're a much better carpenter than I'll ever be, that's for sure! When I build stuff it's usually either crooked or looks funny, even if it doesn't fall down.... hell, I cut that board three times and it's STILL too short!!

Old 03-05-2010, 12:32 PM

4,023 posts, read 4,722,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Good morning everyone! I wrote an article that was in last Sunday's Miami Herald. If you care to read it, here is the link:
Savoring a lifetime of gardening - Gardening - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/02/28/1499783/savoring-a-lifetime-of-gardening.html#none - broken link)
What a refreshing article! And how nice that you have been able to do something you love throughout your lifetime! I studied ornamental in San Francisco for 3 semesters.....I love flowers, and plants, too! I thought about eventually buying a FTD type of operation but my lifetime path (and more semesters of 'other stuff'), took me to other places... We will have an open house soon, so I have several spring flats to plant today and then I have to go out and buy some more......when we moved to the beach area, I thought we would have loamy soil.....NOT! I am friends with a pic ax, too.

Thank you for sharing.....your article was uplifting.....

Old 03-05-2010, 04:14 PM

475 posts, read 1,315,790 times
Nice article Plantlover.

I wish this cold weather would quit already, my yard and plants look awful. But until we are back to normal tempertures and I can see if any of those dead looking plants come back I am just going to leave them alone.

Sorry folks on the porch I know compared to the north FL's cold is sort of a joke.

Have a great weekend everyone.

I have been busy planning a trip to MT in June to see my daughter. We are going to spend about 8 days traveling around Yellowstone and such. Any thoughts or suggested are always welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana