U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 AM

305 posts, read 573,600 times

Advertisements

Anyone ever had a chilly dilly? I remember first hearing about them on an old "Montana Backroads" shows about a theater in Rudyard serving cold dill pickles on a stick! I never would have thought of that one but always wanted to make it up there to try it out! Found some links for Rudyard with some pics of the theater....

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv20178.php

Local Businesses

Montana Hi-Line photographs of rural towns along US Highway 2

Last edited by Gman2007; 03-14-2010 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-14-2010, 09:42 AM

299 posts, read 306,331 times
Default Hi-Line fever ...

Great links, Gman. I would never have found those on my own.. Someday I must DEFINITELY visit the Hi-Line.. As much as I love the landscape of western Montana, .. seeing the absolute vastness of the Montana plains affects you right down to your soul.. All that open plain makes me think of tornados, yet I don't recall hearing about tornados in Montana.. Does anyone know anything about tornado activity on the Montana Hi-Line? .. And I bet you can get some HELLACIOUS thunderstorms there. Being there for one would be quite an experience. Do they get much flooding? ......... If a man wanted to live quietly for a while, and reflect, ... the Montana Hi-Line would be the perfect place to do it.

This started out as simply a thumbs up for Gman's links ... the questions showed up on their own.. But would be curious to hear the answers.. If anyone knows the answers, I'd appreciate hearing them.. Thanks ....... There's probably a condition called Hi-Line fever that draws you, irresistably, to the place. ............... and I expect there's only one cure for it.

tiberius

Old 03-14-2010, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 9,008 times
I have pine beetle questions. I have property between Butte and whitehall and some of the trees look a little rough around the edges.wondering if this could be THE beetle,how do you tell,and what can be done to control it, if anything...thanks

Old 03-14-2010, 01:14 PM

6,040 posts, read 6,731,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
Someday I must DEFINITELY visit the Hi-Line.. As much as I love the landscape of western Montana,
Here are sights you may see when traveling along the Hi-Line.

Heavy Metal Guardians Of the Blackfeet Reservation.

Lots of grain elevators and hopper cars bringing our oats, wheat, barley etc out of here and to the world.

Wind powered electricity generators cropping up like bean sprouts.

Just south west of Shelby is Montana's brand new state park along a pristine section of the Marias River.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:15 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,628,558 times
Great photos, Rickers. Does the Blackfeet Reservation include the butte in the background? Wow! Gorgeous! How close is Shelby to Havre?

Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM

1,188 posts, read 1,500,082 times
Regarding pine beetles, you should contact a professional arborist. If they are really infested, they should be removed, because they will spread to healthy pines around them. There are pheromone packets to apply at a specific time of year if they are not yet infested.
I recommend calling Mark Stafford at Alpine Tree Services in Butte, 782-1000. He gives free estimates and is licensed and insured.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:19 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,480,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
Anyone ever had a chilly dilly? I remember first hearing about them on an old "Montana Backroads" shows about a theater in Rudyard serving cold dill pickles on a stick! I never would have thought of that one but always wanted to make it up there to try it out! Found some links for Rudyard with some pics of the theater....

http://www.city-data.com/picfilesv/picv20178.php

Local Businesses

Montana Hi-Line photographs of rural towns along US Highway 2
More fantastic (if often sad) photos elsewhere on this guy's site -- Central Montana and Montana Hi-Line photographs of rural towns along US Highway 2

I remember the Tipi coffee house! funny thing, when I was a little kid and we first vacationed thru MT (we lived in MN or ND at the time) this is the only thing I remembered, other than my dad feeding Pecan Sandies to the bears in Yellowstone. I even dreamed about the Tipi coffee house for years afterward, I remembered it that strongly.

Old 03-14-2010, 02:23 PM

6,488 posts, read 7,480,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Here are sights you may see when traveling along the Hi-Line.

Wind powered electricity generators cropping up like bean sprouts.
Nonsense. Those are invading alien robots, marching across the landscape.

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM

299 posts, read 306,331 times
Default alien space invaders, and road trips...

Reziac... I agree with you about the invading alien windmills.. Soon as I saw the pic I imagined being out there in the nearby fields with a few friends having some beers.. At two in the morning, in the moonlight, .. and after a few beers .. if I saw them coming over the hill, I'd be shooting at them..

Plantlover... Shelby is approximately 102.61 miles and 4 inches from Havre.. Of course, that's just a guess from eyeballin' the map.. But I'm a pretty good judge of distance.. ( mapquest confirmed my guesstimate .. though they WERE off by 4 inches. )

Old 03-15-2010, 01:49 AM

305 posts, read 573,600 times
Yes, the hiline has its draw on a person. Not to most people but some... I still remember my first 60 mile drive to work when I got here and having this pit in my stomach wondering what in the world I got myself into! It was gone in less than a week and then I began to see the beauty of what the area holds in all the wildlife and the amazing natural formations that time has created on the land. You can transport yourself in time driving out here thinking of the land covered with buffalo or driving past old homesteads wondering what brought that family out here to that now falling down farm house and what happened to them when the left that house behind.

Where I grew up in Oregon I had a cousin who is a farmer visit from ND and he said he felt all closed in from the trees, trees, and more trees! He didn't feel at home unless he could look for miles out to the horizon.

I have lived in some pretty remote places but nothing compares to the vastness of the Montana sky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana