U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 01:02 AM

2,626 posts, read 4,948,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Okay, everybody! Here's the news!

My girl has decided to become a GRIZZLY at Missoula!
Yay! Congratulations. Best of luck to her!

Old 03-31-2010, 04:06 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,521,157 times
Good morning all! Well we went to the Federal Bureau of Engraving yesterday to see "our" money being made. I gotta tell ya it was all I could do to bite my tongue and not make a bunch of comments as the guide was telling us how the fed takes money out of circulation and orders more new money so that's why they're printing it. If you want to get some idea of exactly what is being spent daily just try watching 'em palatize 64 MILLION dollars.
I gotta say it was neat how they print it and some of the security features that I didn't know were in the bills are interesting as well. Look at your bills, if you see a little star at the end of the serial number that's called a "star sheet" and the reason for it is while they're doing the final print of the last three items if they have a sheet that's rejected for whatever reason they hand insert a star sheet so the count stays the same. EVERY sheet is counted for and every stack has the same amount of sheets so these star sheets were invented as "filler". I asked if there were any interesting ways that employees tried to sneak money out but was told that's classified. When the $$$ are final wrapped on their 60 million dollar palate they are moved to a huge vault and stored for shipping. One way they stop theft is the $$$ are considered counterfeit UNTIL they enter the vault and are recorded as monitized. You've no idea the amount of comments I had built up after the guy talked about the fed and the sheets being "monitized"....
You can go into the gift shop where you can buy whole sheets of bills, not cut up but they cost about double the face value. The clerk was telling me that a doctor came in and bought a few sheets of $2 bills to wrap his kids presents in. An example, a sheet of 32 one dollar bills costs over $56 after you pay sales TAX on it.
We then went to the San Antonio stock yards....
Oh well, off to Dr. Pepper plant and maybe blue bell ice cream....

Old 03-31-2010, 05:24 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,909,633 times
Quote:

Congrats from all the adoptive moms and dads here!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:30 AM

Wow did I miss a day of busy recipe ideas! Yes there is some meat in the freezer that may get one of these special ideas.
EH, I bet you are having a blast!
JJ you are our "on the road reporter" for those of us still chained to the job, we bless you for something interesting to read. Between you and EH I am looking forward to traveling CD style!
And of course there is the tropical report from PL
I hope everyone caught the sweet father story a few pages back.
We just have the nicest folks here. As others find us I think we are really getting a nice rep. (As long as we keep an eye on the ole Rickers) Kidding ya there, you know we love the cousins.
Have a nice day everyone.

Old 03-31-2010, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Good morning all! Well we went to the Federal Bureau of Engraving yesterday to see "our" money being made. I gotta tell ya it was all I could do to bite my tongue and not make a bunch of comments as the guide was telling us how the fed takes money out of circulation and orders more new money so that's why they're printing it. If you want to get some idea of exactly what is being spent daily just try watching 'em palatize 64 MILLION dollars.
I gotta say it was neat how they print it and some of the security features that I didn't know were in the bills are interesting as well. Look at your bills, if you see a little star at the end of the serial number that's called a "star sheet" and the reason for it is while they're doing the final print of the last three items if they have a sheet that's rejected for whatever reason they hand insert a star sheet so the count stays the same. EVERY sheet is counted for and every stack has the same amount of sheets so these star sheets were invented as "filler". I asked if there were any interesting ways that employees tried to sneak money out but was told that's classified. When the $$$ are final wrapped on their 60 million dollar palate they are moved to a huge vault and stored for shipping. One way they stop theft is the $$$ are considered counterfeit UNTIL they enter the vault and are recorded as monitized. You've no idea the amount of comments I had built up after the guy talked about the fed and the sheets being "monitized"....
You can go into the gift shop where you can buy whole sheets of bills, not cut up but they cost about double the face value. The clerk was telling me that a doctor came in and bought a few sheets of $2 bills to wrap his kids presents in. An example, a sheet of 32 one dollar bills costs over $56 after you pay sales TAX on it.
Dang I cannot rep ya, but wow that was really interesting!
Have some BB for me and take a walk on the riverwalk. Watch out for the flying cockroaches!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Congrats as well!
Our trip was designed to meet an interview at Marshall Univ in WV since they have an Autism program.
Unfortunately our son was not selected (there were only a few spots open) so we're headed back to AZ to try ASU and UofA...
Again, congrats on the good news!

Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM

Our next comp that we're judging....
ARIZONA BARBECUE FESTIVAL

Old 03-31-2010, 09:40 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,727,559 times
Thank you ALL for the best wishes for my girl. I think she is going to do aok! We sent the deposit in for the dorm room yesterday. At first, she requested a private room in an upperclassman dorm, but then I discovered that there are 4-girl suites, each has her own bedroom, there is a small living room, 2 girls to a bath, and they have a microwave and good-sized fridge. Not knowing anybody, I figured this might be better for her (socialwise), so I emailed and asked if they could change the priority choices....the woman got back to me in just a couple of hours and said she will make the change on her room application.

She has a Honda and hopefully won't drive it a lot after it snows..(thus, another reason to live right on campus).....and we will buy her different tires once we get there.....and a bike, too.... Except for more anti-freeze, what do we need to do? Reedsmit mentioned a heater block to me.....is that something that has to be plugged in or what? (Her girl has a garage, so maybe it's electric?)

Old 03-31-2010, 10:16 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,294,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Wow did I miss a day of busy recipe ideas! Yes there is some meat in the freezer that may get one of these special ideas.
EH, I bet you are having a blast!
JJ you are our "on the road reporter" for those of us still chained to the job, we bless you for something interesting to read. Between you and EH I am looking forward to traveling CD style!
And of course there is the tropical report from PL
I hope everyone caught the sweet father story a few pages back.
We just have the nicest folks here. As others find us I think we are really getting a nice rep. (As long as we keep an eye on the ole Rickers) Kidding ya there, you know we love the cousins.
Have a nice day everyone.
The father story really moved me, too. I meant to write something, but you guys talk so fast that I have a hard time catching up! Must be the fast MT pace...
But since you brought it up, M-7: The story really spoke to me because my dad built his own dream cabin when he was in his late 30s, with his bare hands more or less, from timber he cut on his little piece of land on the lake. And the family has spent every summer in that tiny cabin every since, and it's been standing for almost 60 years now. And my dad is still around, at 95, and now I get to show him plans and drawings and ask his advice about the cabin we're building on our land on the MT-ID border! Sometimes life seems to make a bit of sense...
And this is a really nice thread indeed. Glad to be able to visit!

Old 03-31-2010, 10:57 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,727,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
What a great tour this must have been! (I like all kinds of tours). We've been to the mint in Philadelphia but they only make coins. I have forgotten where they make the paper money....I thought D.C., but that's not anywhere near San Antonio....LOL! Where exactly was your tour?

I know I know this, but I have forgotten---it seems like they say that paper money in circulation only lasts for a couple of years, is that right?

Two of my Texan friends on another thread talk about Blue Bell ice cream all the time.......is it like Haagen Das or smooth like gelato something? Is it one of those where you feel as if you have died and gone to heaven? I toured the Tillamook in Oregon (along the coast), and boy, that was rich!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana