U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2010, 08:09 PM

299 posts, read 486,541 times

Advertisements

Wurzig... CONGRATULATIONS !!!! .. Not only from all those adoptive moms and dads.. but also one VERY proud and excited adoptive uncle.. I"m sure she is going to love it there, AND get an excellent education.. I forsee, somewhere down the road, picking up a novel from a bookstore shelf, seeing your daughters face on the back, and reading in the short bio that the author lives in Montana..... and smiling.

uncle tiberius

Old 03-31-2010, 09:57 PM

299 posts, read 486,541 times
Default "MSU's new mascot arriving today from Indonesia....

One other thing.. Last summer we were sittin on MT-7's porch and I thought I saw the biggest darn snake I'd EVER seen slitherin by out in the tall grass.. I didn't say nothin cause I figured it was just a side effect of drinkin Ranier instead of my usual Olympia.... (you know, kinda a shock to my body).. or maybe it was that purple stew Reziac brought over.. Anyway, I just found out what it was that I saw.. Just told the folks over at the "...snakes in Montana" thread.. Thought I oughta tell you, too.

Seems last summer the boys over at MSU ( havin a little too much time on their hands ) came up with the idea of genetically engineering a python to eat up Montana snakes.. They figured it would clear up the Montana snake problem, and maybe win them some kinda award too.. ( not sure what THEY were drinkin at the time, but would love to get my hands on some ).. Well, the experiment worked out pretty good.. TOO good, actually.. They released the snake last summer and it more than earned its keep.. It ate up ALL the Montana snakes... plus a few head of cattle, a rusty 1973 datsun 240Z, and the last known pair of albino wolves, who just happened to be at the top of the endangered species list.. Well, them boys at MSU kinda panic'd.. So, to avoid the snake gettin arrested, and their genetic experimentin gettin found out, they flew that snake half way around the world and had it air dropped into the most remote part of Indonesia.. Seems, though, that some local natives saw it floatin down out of the sky and figured it was some sort of god coming down to bring them good fortune.. So they captured it and caged it up and started worshiping it.. Like I told the boys over at the snake thread..... some days it just don't pay to get outa bed.. Well, apparently some OTHER scientists found out about this huge old snake being worshipped in that little village, and went and got it from them and put it in a small zoo over there so they could study it.. That's where things stand at the moment.. ( if anyone ever notices that "go bobcats" tattoo on the snake, there could still be trouble for MSU ).. Here's a short vid of the snake at that little zoo they're keepin him at.. 49-foot python captured in Indonesia - World news- msnbc.com

tiberius

Old 03-31-2010, 10:04 PM

4,919 posts, read 5,805,760 times
OK,
This dang thing finally let me load some pictures.
[ATTACH]6050[ATTACH]

This is a view of the upper end of the valley above the cabin. If you look REALLY close, there are some elk along the shadow line on the far mountain.

Let's visit.....-017_9a.jpg

This should be a view of Pappy's Dream.

Let's visit.....-014_12a.jpg
Finally, one of my favorite movies is "The 13th Warrior". There is a line in it that the actors speak during the final battle which in part goes, "Lo there do I see My Brother and My Father, there do I see the line of my people stretching back to the beginning"....

My Nephew, Brother and Father in the near the little creek that runs past the cabin.

Thank you for all the kind comments. My family is of Scottish decent, even though we have been on this side of the pond since before the Revolution, but some traditions die hard, and we are very clannish.
I do realize how lucky I am to have such a close family, and to be able to spend as much time with them as I do.
It was difficult to spend so much time overseas in the Military, but I was over there for their sake just as every other warrior throughout time.
We go to protect the things we hold most dear, and in my case it was my Family, My friends, and My country.
I am sure that while it may not have been the first factor when we signed on the dotted line, but the time spent in service really brings home what is really important.

Congratulations to Wurzig, I am sure your daughter will enjoy her time in Montana.
Threerun, we may have to exchange some BBQ recipes when you get here!!
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit.....-020_7.jpg  

Old 03-31-2010, 11:19 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Here's a whole bunch of handy links and stuff for the cowboy and 1800s-style sewing types among us:
Welcome to: Steven Laredo Garrett - Links

Also check out this one, especially the picture of the Lone Ranger with President Nixon!
Nudies Rodeo Tailors official website of Nudies suits

Old 04-01-2010, 01:09 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
MTS, great photos. Real peace lies there. I like that movie also but I am partial to Klingons and Vikings and such.
You are fortunate to have found and known your center.

Yes, we do talk alot here

Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
What a great tour this must have been! (I like all kinds of tours). We've been to the mint in Philadelphia but they only make coins. I have forgotten where they make the paper money....I thought D.C., but that's not anywhere near San Antonio....LOL! Where exactly was your tour?

I know I know this, but I have forgotten---it seems like they say that paper money in circulation only lasts for a couple of years, is that right?

Two of my Texan friends on another thread talk about Blue Bell ice cream all the time.......is it like Haagen Das or smooth like gelato something? Is it one of those where you feel as if you have died and gone to heaven? I toured the Tillamook in Oregon (along the coast), and boy, that was rich!
Wurzig, cash is printed in 2 places, DC and San Antonio,TX. You'll know that it's from TX because if it's printed in DC it has no mint name on it. I guess they're afraid to sign their work?
I believe that you're correct about how long it lasts, it then gets chopped up. Blue Bell ice cream is really no big deal, not a premium ice cream to be sure, right along the lines of Tillimook. Braums is better IMO. If you've not been to a Braums ice cream store you ought do so if you get the chance. They are an Oklahoma based chain that only delivers out as far as they can deliver in one day's drive.

We went to Dr. Pepper yesterday and it was an education. This is NOT your normal Dr. Pepper plant to be sure. It IS the original, very first Dr. Pepper bottling plant and they still bottle the original recipe which tastes different/way better than the "usuall" stuff!!!!
We happened to taste the stuff at the stockyards so we had to go see what it's all about so a drive to Dublin, TX aka Dr. Pepper,TX was in order.

It's still bottled the old fashioned way by machines from the '40s in returnable 8 and 12 oz bottles, some as old as 1960. If you by a flat then drink it you return the bottles and they only charge you the cost to refill 'em. The difference is they use the original formula that calls for Imperial sugar (the top quality sugar made from what I'm told) instead of corn syrup. This sugar has been around since the wagon days. They are working under the original bottling contract which only allows them to distribute in a 44 mile radius which was all the distance that it could be delivered in one day. When it was negociated they loaded a wagon to the hilt, drove out as far as they could and still get back by nightfall and that's still the distribution zone. It's still run by the great grandson of the original owner btw. The bottling plant is about the size of a grange hall.
We picked up 2 cases and had a couple of six packs (they still use the old style cardboard carriers) signed by the owner to be auctioned off for an Autism charity.
I like Dr. Pepper but I gotta say I REALLY like the original formula!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Default Wasn't Dick Clark a big pitchman for DP?

I love Dr. Pepper. When I was a kid, that and a packet of peanuts were 15 cents. Of course when I started driving gas was 45 cents/gal
Do the bottles still have the three numbers? I think they were the suggested times to enjoy DP? Thanks for the CD tour!

Old 04-01-2010, 07:44 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Imperial Sugar (http://www.imperialsugar.com/fw/main/Imperial_Sugar-929.html - broken link)

Sugar is sugar, at least plain white cane sugar is. Beet sugar tastes slightly different because it carries some impurities (stuff that's not sugar, residue from the beets -- nothing bad about it) that cane sugar doesn't. Cane sugar cooks a little more reliably (probably because it's usually finer grained and dissolves faster) but beet sugar tastes better as a topping. At least to a supertaster; your tongue may vary.

Considering the success of micro-breweries here and there, you'd think "original bottling" facilities for various sodas that have a long history would also be welcome. Here we sometimes get Coca-Cola from Mexico and it uses plain sugar, not corn syrup, so it tastes like the old-time stuff.

The real problem is that the U.S. has imposed tariffs on imported sugar that keep prices artificially high, and we don't produce enough sugar to compensate, so food processing in the U.S. has turned to corn syrup as a substitute. Get rid of the tariff and our sugar would be as cheap as in the whole rest of the world (about half the U.S. price), and our manufacturers could go back to using sugar like everyone else (there's no real nutritional difference, but our food would taste better).

Last edited by Reziac; 04-01-2010 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: fixed dumb page name parsing

Old 04-01-2010, 08:55 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,553,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
I love Dr. Pepper. When I was a kid, that and a packet of peanuts were 15 cents. Of course when I started driving gas was 45 cents/gal
Do the bottles still have the three numbers? I think they were the suggested times to enjoy DP? Thanks for the CD tour!
Yep they still have the numbers which are 10-2-4. What they mean was explained to us. Dr. Pepper paid a scientist to research the benefits of Dr. Pepper since it's considered a food due to it's sugar content. This Dr. found out that the body has natural low sugar cycles at a usual time of 10:30,2:30 and 4:30 and if one were to drink the Dr. Pepper at 10-2-4 it would lessen or avoid the low sugar issues.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:02 AM

Wonderful!
Better living through sugar!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana