U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-06-2010, 02:45 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,420,319 times
I was in Yellowstone in August, 1959! Eeeeek! Before the earthquake. I was also in Antigua, Guatemala about a month before a bad earthquake. .....

Old 04-06-2010, 03:06 PM

6,307 posts, read 6,952,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
I was in Yellowstone in August, 1959! Eeeeek! Before the earthquake. I was also in Antigua, Guatemala about a month before a bad earthquake. .....
Note to self: avoid places plantlover has visited in the previous month!!

Old 04-06-2010, 03:12 PM

1,915 posts, read 2,420,319 times
LOL!.....I will let you all know of my traveling plans!! ))

Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 AM

Location: In an alternate universe according to some, AKA Aspergers
10,247 posts, read 10,938,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Note to self: avoid places plantlover has visited in the previous month!!
I know how you feel! We've dodged several severe storms by ONE day so far, including 2 tornados! Don't know if it's "spidey" sense or what but I get this little voice saying "time to go" and so far (knock wood) it's not been wrong. The last one was leaving Oklahoma I think, not 6 hours after we left multiple tornados and really severe hail hit the area.
Whew, glad we missed that! Hail is hell on rv's! We lived through the Loma Prieta quake, the one that dropped the Cypress Structure like a giant pancake and dropped the middle of the Bay Bridge as well. My brother in law is a tow driver on that bridge and if you look at video or pic's of the event he's pulling the cars that drove off the part of the bridge that collapsed back onto the bridge. Don't know how he stayed to do that with all the aftershocks and such. I'd be the heck OFF that bridge!!! I used to travel the cypress a few times a week and on the lower deck I used to wonder all the time if it would fall on my head someday. It just made me nervous driving on it, couldn't wait to get to open sky/ground level.

Old 04-07-2010, 08:43 AM

6,259 posts, read 8,085,649 times
We may have to rename this the disastrous thread
I have only had two episodes of "rolling" waves. They were in Oregon during the 1993 Scotts Mills earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It was very strange to be sitting on the floor with my then toddlers and feel suddenly like you were on the ocean on a raft.
I think my life will be quite complete without another experience although when the caldron goes, I don't think there will be much to worry about, it will be quick.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
We may have to rename this the disastrous thread
Haha Here's a graphic (go down to the map near the bottom) that compares the New Madrid quake zone to the Los Angeles quake... 1812 New Madrid earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia As you can see, California has some catching up to do if it ever plans to properly fall into the ocean!

The 1994 quake made big compression waves in Hwy 14 thru Santa Clarita, at first some were as much as 3 feet high (but far enough apart that it was just like driving thru tiny hills). They've subsided on their own over the years and by now are almost entirely gone.

According to USGS records, the only state that's essentially quake-free is North Dakota.

Personally I think tornados are the worst of the "big" natural hazards, as they're the most random, most common, and do the most damage that average structures can't really build or plan for.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I know how you feel! We've dodged several severe storms by ONE day so far, including 2 tornados! Don't know if it's "spidey" sense or what but I get this little voice saying "time to go" and so far (knock wood) it's not been wrong.
Note to self: preceed jimj; never follow him!!

Last edited by Reziac; 04-07-2010 at 11:07 AM..

Old 04-07-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
My brother in law is a tow driver on that bridge and if you look at video or pic's of the event he's pulling the cars that drove off the part of the bridge that collapsed back onto the bridge. Don't know how he stayed to do that with all the aftershocks and such. I'd be the heck OFF that bridge!!! I used to travel the cypress a few times a week and on the lower deck I used to wonder all the time if it would fall on my head someday. It just made me nervous driving on it, couldn't wait to get to open sky/ground level.
1989 Loma Prieta earthquake - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I drove by that thing once in '86 (don't know what freeway it is that parallels or breaks off near it, but that's where I was) and I was thinkin' the whole time that whoever designed it failed geology class... And they wondered why there was so much resistance to stacked freeways around L.A.?? After the Northridge quake a whole lot of people were saying SEE? WE TOLD YOU SO! tho I guess they've rebuilt some of the Long Beach Fwy as a double-decker; dunno for sure as I haven't been down that way in years.

I think I saw video of your BIL on the news -- I remember a tow truck getting into some right dicey positions to haul cars out of even worse positions, and wondering if he was getting hazard pay

There used to be an elevated bus bypass near downtown L.A. One day I was driving down to Anaheim and... it wasn't there. No quake or anything, it had just collapsed all by itself that morning. Whoa, someone failed every class!!

Old 04-07-2010, 11:15 AM

More fun with quakes, specifically the Whittier Narrows quake:

One of the most-damaged buildings was an older brick auto-parts store, with a high ceiling and lots of the usual high metal racks to store stuff on. The walls fell down in their entirety, and the roof landed on the racks, which were sufficient to hold it up. Made for a very strange picture (also let the people inside escape unharmed).

Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 AM

4,022 posts, read 2,523,962 times
I am thinking of tiberius this a.m. and want to hum the tune to the Andy Griffity show......you know, Opie and his dad were walking down the dirt path towards the fishing hole with his bamboo pole...... and then, of course, there was Ain't Bee with all her good food........

Okay, gotta go do some work around here.....have been on facebook all morning catching up.......just wanted to say Hello to everybody and hope that you are having a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana