U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-17-2010, 08:47 AM

10,092 posts, read 10,290,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Time has really shot by the last couple months. We're running out of time.

The Team and Wagon pulls out of my place on Monday. Yeah, 3 days from now.
Good luck and safe journey EH! We've sure met some WONDERFUL people as we've criss-crossed the U.S., looks like we're soon to end our nomadic ways for a bit of sitting still while our son goes to school.
Thankfully there's tons of bbq comps within a days drive of where we're looking to settle. Need to get master judge status so we get paid to do this!

Old 04-17-2010, 10:34 AM

299 posts, read 266,218 times
Default One journey ends.. and a new one begins.......

You already have master status with us JIMJ.. But its good that you're settling in one place for a while.. When I read that,, I suddenly invisioned a young man sitting outside your house for days, in the rain. You wife says " he's been out there for 6 days ... I don't think he's going to leave. " .. and you say .. " ok, bring him in ".. He comes up to you and says " Master, I want to learn .. please teach me ".. For months he's by your side, watching your every move.. Your skill with blades as you free just the right cut of meat from the carcass.. Your dexterity with multiple grilling tools as you manipulate the many different pieces of meat on your grill and in your smoker.. controling them without ever actually puncturing them.. sensing just the right moment to remove them.. Your hands a blur, your mind a computer, as you blend secret ingredients into a perfect bbq sauce.. Sneaking into the kitchen after midnite, without waking the wife or making the dog bark, to raid the fridge.. He is overwhelmed by it all.. " Master, there is so much to learn.. How will I know when I am ready "... " When you can take this rib from my hand, you will be ready to leave." .. More time passes.. The master silently approaches the fridge one nite, opens the door, and finds all the day's leftover bbq gone.. He looks over and sees the young man lying on the couch in a bbq induced stupor.. the dog on the floor next to him, mouth covered with bbq sauce.. The master smiles and thinks to himself .. " and I heard nothing .. he is learning " .. ( "and I need to get a new guard dog" ).. Finally, one day, the master is standing by his grill, sampling a rib from the batch he is cooking.. The young man walks up and says " how is the rib, master? " .. The master looks back to his hand and is astonished to find the rib no longer there.. He looks back at the young man and sees him smiling, bbq sauce covering his mouth, (and the mouth of the dog by his side).. and on the ground between them, a gleamingly stripped rib bone.. The master looks up at the young man and, smiling, says .. " it is time for you to leave ".. The master stands at the window, watching the young man and the dog walking down the road as they begin their own journey.. He smiles to himself and thinks " they will do well .. and I will have ribs left to raid from the fridge at night " .. His wife comes up to him and says " jimj, there is another young man sitting in the yard " .. JIMJ sighs to himself and says.. " let him sit there a couple more days, then bring him in.. I'll go order another side of beef." .......

With you settled in, and summer approaching, I forsee many happy days of grilling in your future.. I only wish I could be there to enjoy it with you.. Maybe we'll have a big cookout at the porch one of these days.. BBQ'd meat, potato salad, baked beans, some grilled veggies and garlic bread, and some lemonade.. now THAT'S good eatin'...... and eating it all in Montana would just top it off.. And after we're all stuffed, we can all sit on the porch and look into the distance, and watch the rest of the crazy world go by.. Maybe wurzig's daughter can bring some of her new friends from college and join us.. We wouldn't embarass her ...... too much.. ( hey, we're grown ups .. and family .. its part of our job .. haha ) .. And everybody better bring campers .. I see this thing lasting all weekend.

tiberius

Old 04-18-2010, 12:52 PM

4,022 posts, read 2,332,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Time has really shot by the last couple months. We're running out of time.

The Team and Wagon pulls out of my place on Monday. Yeah, 3 days from now.
Hey, EH, weren't you going to send us a pic before you leave?

Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM

Just wanted you guys to know that another college accepted my girl......this time, a California school.....she got the letter in the mail, glanced at it and said, 'well, I've already made my decision', put the letter down on the table and walked away.

If you only knew our history and how hard it was to talk her into applying to out of state schools, (she, like her mom, is 100% California Girl), you would understand the significance of her statement.

My husband already bought 3 Grizzly burgundy and white-trimmed t-shirts, but they don't have the paw print on them.....I want one with a paw print....we'll get some when we take her to Montana in August..... I am so glad the school colors aren't a weird color that doesn't go with my skin......LOL

Thank you all for your support and enthusiasm for your state..... Separation anxiety is going to be hard at first, (probably harder on me than her), but we'll survive......

Old 04-18-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Good morning all! Well, we're slowly but surely trolling back to MT. We just finished up a comp in Scottsdale AZ and you'll never guess who I ran in to.. Senator John McCain.
I really, really wanted to ask him when he'd switch back to being a conservative republican but held my tongue.

There was some great bbq, stocked the freezer since as judges we get many pounds of meat to do with as we wish. Here are a couple of pic's we took of the event.

These pics look like a Nascar lot!

Old 04-18-2010, 02:26 PM

6,047 posts, read 6,028,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WurzigWurzig View Post
I just love it when you guys share your pics! Thanks to all!
Alrighty then !

Belted Galloway don't have horns. These are near Dixon.

The old Camas post office right next to the town of Hot Springs. When this post office was in use Hot springs was called Pineville.

One of the old soaking tubs and it's been covered with logs for quite a while now but the old foot soaking tub with benches is still in use at Leroy's tubs.

This spot looks a bit Fishy to me. Looks a bit Moosey too.

Here is yours truly, the wild and crazy, fish worshiping American larrican, aka "rickers" paddling off into the wild green yonder.
While not fishing, I'm thinking of and recording jokes and comedy material to transcribe, copyright and eventually try to market to comedians and or comedy show producers.

Oh by the the way, for those of you interested in Sanders County. Billy Hill is running for Sheriff again and I hope he wins this time.
The current top cop is stinking the entire county courthouse up with second hand cigarette smoke.

Old 04-18-2010, 02:33 PM

16,733 posts, read 19,397,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Hey, EH, weren't you going to send us a pic before you leave?
I will take some pictures tomorrow of the departure. Then as Mike and Sheila transit North, I have to run the other direction into Sheridan and pick up some things we need, and then chase them down. I will take time to stop by the cabin and post those pictures.

Old 04-18-2010, 03:16 PM

299 posts, read 266,218 times
Default Like mother, like daughter .......

Wurzig... Don't kid yourself for a second that it will be harder on you than on her. Her days will be busy, but between each busy moment, she will be thinking of you.. and her dad.... But she'll be very determined to show you guys that she'll be ok and that you don't have to worry about her, so she'll try to not let it show.. And you will too.. But you will both be thinking of each other far more than you'll admit to each other.. As I read your posts, I notice that once you set your sights on something, you approach it with passion, enthusiasm, determination, a positive attitude, and a natural inclination to find the best aspects of whatever you are involved with.. I expect your daughter has the same qualities.. I forsee an exciting time for both of you.. And I won't be surprised if you get quite a few letters from her.

tiberius ..... GO GRIZZLIES .. .... ( ok ... go bobcats, too ) ......

Old 04-19-2010, 12:55 AM

6,098 posts, read 6,485,362 times
For the shuttle-watchers among us -- (note its passage over Montana per the linked maps)

The shuttle Discovery will land at Kennedy Space Center on Monday morning at 8:48 EDT. The craft will make a rare "descending node" overflight of the continental US en route to landing in Florida. Here are maps of the shuttle's path if is lands on orbit 222 as planned, or on the next orbit. Spaceweather.com says: "...it takes the shuttle about 35 minutes to traverse the path shown... Observers in the northwestern USA will see the shuttle shortly after 5 am PDT blazing like a meteoric fireball through the dawn sky. As Discovery makes its way east, it will enter daylight and fade into the bright blue background. If you can't see the shuttle, however, you might be able to hear it. The shuttle produces a sonic double-boom that reaches the ground about a minute and a half after passing overhead."

Links:
0. SpaceWeather.com -- News and information about meteor showers, solar flares, auroras, and near-Earth asteroids
1. http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/4...222_cities.jpg
2. http://www.nasa.gov/images/content/4...223_cities.jpg

Last edited by Reziac; 04-19-2010 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Filched from Slashdot

Old 04-19-2010, 09:53 AM

6,259 posts, read 7,642,333 times
Hey looks like it is postponed a day.....
Good, I actually was on the bed for once at sunrise today and I would have missed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana