U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2010, 12:16 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,731,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
Oh yes, all okay... When I woke up, I told wife that tree was going to go over so she promptly loaded up the kid and dogs in the car and went across the street to wait the whole thing out - ha!!! Only tore off the porch on the side of the house so we still can get out our front door. All in all, much cheaper than having to pay someone to come cut down the tree! And, wife didn't like that part of the porch anyway! Hmmm.. now that I think of it... wonder if she had something to do with it...
Well, I am glad you are all okay!

Old 05-01-2010, 12:37 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
I lost lots of trees in this storm in '96
This slide was the next street up.

YouTube - Landslides

Old 05-01-2010, 03:06 AM

305 posts, read 779,070 times
Growing up on the coast of Oregon, it wasn't a normal winter unless you lost a few trees! Around here it must be somewhat of a novelty as everyone in town has stopped by to take pictures . I'm thinking of setting up a tent and charging admission!

Old 05-01-2010, 07:41 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
Default Talk about living with landslides. Yikes - Salmon Beach.

When I lived at Salmon Beach a landslide took out a place right next door to us that our neighbor was building. We could see the Madrone trees fly past our window with the power lines snapping sparks and in the morning there were trees where a house under construction once was and I ended up with tree branches and rocks on my deck and roof.
When I first moved to that place there was no sewer system and at high tide one could literally go fishing from the toilet ! I used to hunt octopus right in front of the cabins and catch king salmon right off the front porch.
Notice the absence of cars trucks or even a road !

The house I lived in for 10 years is in this picture. It's the one story place on the right side of the pic.

This mermaid sculpture is in a space between two of the houses at Salmon Beach.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:52 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
I think I found another of rickers' long-lost cousins!!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s..._ugly_face.jpg

Old 05-01-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Oh, those things! I thought they were mosquito eaters or in the mosquito eater family. Thanks for taking the time to show me.
I vaguely recall that's another common name for 'em. They don't eat mosquitos, but they seem to crowd 'em out (probably occupy the same ecological niche) -- since I've noticed that when you have lots and lots of crane flies, you usually don't have as many mosquitos.

We have crane flies here in the desert (including the small ones that are easy to mistake for a mosquito) but few mosquitos. This is not a complaint.

Old 05-01-2010, 10:58 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,955,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
I vaguely recall that's another common name for 'em. They don't eat mosquitos, but they seem to crowd 'em out (probably occupy the same ecological niche) -- since I've noticed that when you have lots and lots of crane flies, you usually don't have as many mosquitos.

We have crane flies here in the desert (including the small ones that are easy to mistake for a mosquito) but few mosquitos. This is not a complaint.

Mosquitos need water in order to reproduce. Florida is full of water and guess what else it is full of??

Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Mosquitos need water in order to reproduce. Florida is full of water and guess what else it is full of??
Uh... oh, I know -- alligators!!

Many mosquito species only need a little dampness, they don't need standing water. Some CA mosquitos reproduce in the moisture caught in tree bark, specifically scrub oaks (which live in very dry areas), and lemme tellya, the skeeters can get THICK in a scrub-oak forest! Long grass that stays damp down below will also suffice; we always cut our grass short in Minnesota because of this problem!

I've had to treat along the base of my cinderblock wall where the sun doesn't hit it directly, cuz it stays damp enough to grow skeeters, just from the dew that drips down the wall after a chilly night. (Tho the problem went away after a couple years of applying toxic waste to the area

Old 05-01-2010, 11:20 AM

2,627 posts, read 4,955,690 times
Alligators, pythons, people, oops! Very interesting, Reziac! I had no idea that moisture in tree bark was enough! Those crafty critters!! )

Old 05-01-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantlover View Post
Alligators, pythons, people, oops! Very interesting, Reziac! I had no idea that moisture in tree bark was enough! Those crafty critters!! )
Gators to the left of me, pythons to the right,
Here I am stuck in a rowboat with you...

Damn, now I'm going to have that stupid song stuck in my head all day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana