Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 11:39 AM

8,087 posts, read 15,147,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
My problem, and I attribute it to watching a Sonar Screen for 18 years, is I can't see from 3ft to 5ft. If I hold up a doctument or read a book. I can see fine. Driving? I pass my driving eye exam with no glasses.

If I see a dime on the ground. By tilting my head I can tell you if it's heads or tails. But if I bend over to pick it up, it is so blury I can't find it.
Sounds like you started off a little farsighted, but with good focal depth. Couldna picked better eyes if you'd special-ordered 'em.

But around 50 the eye's lens stops flexing like it should, and then we lose a chunk of focus, mostly near-focus -- can be either reading distance or the next chunk out. At 55 (in two weeks) I have the same problem you do -- I can read fine (including the screen), but in that range from 3 to 5 feet or so, nothing resolves quite like it should. I see the letters but they don't make words. Since I like to sit back a ways from the computer, this is a nuisance. I found that my #2 glasses (being, unlike yourself, a tish nearsighted, tho I'm legal to drive without lenses) that were no good for anything else are now just right for sitting back from the computer.

A good optometrist can ask your age, then pick the right reading glasses off the shelf (assuming your eyes started as standard issue, not too far or near sighted) -- the deterioration of lens function is THAT predictable.

When I wear contacts, I have to use reading glasses to see anything closer than about 4 feet, tho. My arms may have stretched but they're still not THAT long. I found the best ones were actually the cheapies that come squished into the cigar-case type container.

Hey, does anyone else remember Dr.McGlynn from Great Falls? Best ever for getting your glasses prescription EXACTLY right. I guess he passed away a while back and all his records were lost -- I didn't learn this til I tried to get a copy of my old prescription, which is still almost perfect 42 years later (way better than the ones I use with the computer ever were). Some folks' eyes change over time, but mine haven't, other than the age-related lens thing.

Hey, anyone else here who can SEE the damned newfangled plastic lenses? I can, and it drives me nuts. My old glasses are GLASS and the difference is phenomenal. At least to my eyes. I pay an arm and a leg for military sunglasses, because they're still GLASS.

Old 05-09-2010, 11:47 AM

Every time I see the thread entitled "What Is The Flathead Valley Area Like?"...

... it's all I can do to resist posting, "Full of people with flat heads, of course!"

... or worse, "Full of screwdriver people. But you should see the people in Philipsburg!"

... or.... yes, doctor, I did flush my meds this morning; why do you ask??

Old 05-09-2010, 12:13 PM

299 posts, read 565,815 times
Default You never hear the one that gets you......

DAMN ElkHunter ... You had me hook, line, and sinker on the mini pad one.. I thought that was a fascinating idea, and I could actually see Tattoo doing it.. In fact, I was already to look the name of the place up on google.. Then ...... BAM !!! .. Right between the eyes. ..... And I never heard it coming.. Well played.

tiberius

Old 05-10-2010, 10:53 AM

271 posts, read 459,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
You can still find it there, everybody knows it by name so you just ask where the "Stay Free Mini Pads" are.
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,522,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Every time I see the thread entitled "What Is The Flathead Valley Area Like?"...

... it's all I can do to resist posting, "Full of people with flat heads, of course!"

... or worse, "Full of screwdriver people. But you should see the people in Philipsburg!"

I have also stopped responding to people who key in the word 'Cali'....as in, 'I am moving to Cali, what can I expect? Are all people as fake as The Real Housewives of O.C.?' Anybody FROM CA, California, Calif., does not call it CALI and the best way to blend in and become one of these fake, plastic people FROM this state is to stop calling it CALI!

And here is another one: 'I am moving to THE O.C.' Why do they write THE? I don't say, 'I am thinking of checking out THE Larimer County, etc'

And don't get me started on what they call San Francisco!

Okay, okay, I'm jumping down off the grumpus podium now..... Oh, at CSU in Ft. Collins, there is a huge tree stump where they let kids jump up on it and say anything they want.....it has a name but I can't remember it... Boy, if they would have had one of those at Cal Berkeley, it would be ground down to the dirt by now..........

Old 05-10-2010, 02:40 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,522,398 times
Quote:

Yesterday a person wrote: I had a dream about a blind girl. What do you think this means? I really had to hold myself back. I was going to write: it means that it's time to go get your eyes checked.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,056,130 times
Cool I'm The Orange.

Hey y'all I just found myself on U-Tube !
I'm the Orange. There are a whole mess of Annoying Orange videos on You-Tube if y'all want a few very cheap laughs I like the tomato. We don't have TV right now so I've been seeking out a bit of entertainment elsewhere.

YouTube - Annoying Orange Saw

Old 05-11-2010, 09:57 AM

Check this out, fellow wagoneers!

Couple Travels by Wagon through Montana to Raise Money for Veterans | News, Sports, Weather for Great Falls, Helena, and all of Montana | Local Top Stories

One of our own makes the big time!

Old 05-11-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Yesterday a person wrote: I had a dream about a blind girl. What do you think this means? I really had to hold myself back. I was going to write: it means that it's time to go get your eyes checked.
And I'm thinkin' "You really shouldn't have agreed to that blind date."

Ya know, sometimes the way we think is disturbingly ... unique, even for us.

Old 05-12-2010, 05:14 AM

6,259 posts, read 14,667,239 times
Quote:
What a wonderful story, glad they are getting some coverage. Good weather to them!
And to us! Hello neighbors, life has been pulling on me but freer days are ahead!
Is anyone going on any trips this summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana