Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2010, 09:15 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
When are you going to be through? My kid would love to meet the troupe!
20 miles a day. left great falls today. Are you up in Mayberry?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:22 PM

305 posts, read 869,416 times
Yep! Do you have predetermined stops where you allow vistors?

Old 05-13-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
Yep! Do you have predetermined stops where you allow vistors?
Yes. You flap your arms, wave your hands, smile real big and Mike and Sheila will be more then willing to stop and chat.

Now, having said that. Mike and Sheila stop about every 5 miles and give the team a blow. If you want to be nice, stop then and have a ball. Say hello to Blue and Amber, Jane and Suzie. Mike and Sheila will introduce each one.

By the way. There are no visitors allowed. Only friends. haha Make sure you sign the side of the wagon. It's mandatory amongst friends.

Watch the web and you'll get a good idea of where they are and how close they are getting.

If you feel generous, make sure you have a Bud Light available. They earned it. Specially Sheila, she has to put up with Mike's driving. lol.

Bottom line. Wave them down at any point and chat. Be mindful of the team. If they are huffing, they need a rest, but you don't want them to stand too long they'll stove up.

If you want, I'll DM you when they get close.

Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 PM

305 posts, read 869,416 times
Sounds good! I'll keep an eye out

Old 05-13-2010, 11:07 PM

6,259 posts, read 14,675,894 times
thanks for the update EH

Old 05-13-2010, 11:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,161,188 times
<goes off, reads diary>

Crap, I forgot they'd done that with the Great Falls fairgrounds. Something similar was done with Bozeman's former fairgrounds some years ago. Same here in Lancaster CA, which used to have one of the last old-west style fairgrounds in SoCal, but now has an "expo center" of sorts instead (the main attraction is the remote race betting, open year-round). I heard Helena's were rewhacked too, but not what the results were like (other than I guess now there are some heated buildings).

It's happening everywhere -- fairgrounds are being closed or turned into these damned "expos" (glorified temporary malls, really). And when they do have a "fair" it's more like a giant trade show except that you have to pay to get samples from the exhibits. I think the reality is that genuine fairs don't make much money, but these blasted "expos" make a killing. So the genuine fair, and all it represented, goes out the window. It's a huge loss for agrarian culture, especially for the kids who are our future farmers. Who cares about all the work and care and heart that went into your prize pigeons and your fancy lamb and your yearling calf when OOH-SHINY is over yonder??

If I wanted Disneyland, I'd go to Anaheim. If I wanted an endless row of vendor booths, I'd go to a trade show. When I go to the fair, I want a fair, with all that means. But judging by the crowds these new "expos" draw, apparently I'm in the minority.

========

Was the steep hill that long grade up from Armington Jct?? y'all oughta try it on ice. With spiked shoes, maybe!!

Old 05-13-2010, 11:29 PM

To turn the "Fair Grounds" into an expo is kind of expected. I can kind of understand it. But for horse people, country folk, the fair grounds are the greeting for the folks. Not the case in Great Falls.

Great Falls no longer has a voice calling "Here we are." They now have a voice that squelches far and above screaming "You have to pay the fee."

So much for hospitality. It ain't there anymore.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:37 PM

Today, a Korean War vet chased down the wagon and stopped it. He had to use a voice box in order to convey his thoughts.

Thank you Sir for your term of service. Thank you for your contribution to our vets. And most importantly, thank you.

This Gentleman donated what he could. This is what the wagon is all about.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:30 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
A little article about the wagon on this site.

Couple Travels by Wagon through Montana to Raise Money for Veterans | News, Sports, Weather for Great Falls, Helena, and all of Montana | Local Top Stories

Old 05-14-2010, 08:01 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
This Gentleman donated what he could. This is what the wagon is all about.
"All about" ?
These folks are doing a good thing but my eyebrow went up when I read the beginning of a paragraph on their home page after saying this trip was planned for ten years where they say,
"We've finally come up with a cause"
How much of the money they collect will actually be going to be used for wheelchairs etc.
If they were surprised at the hands held out for $ when they pulled into Great Falls at the Expo Park they may get a major wake up call while passing through Canada. The last time I vacationed in Canada I had to cut my trip in half because of the extremely high prices for everything there. I simply ran out of money early even though we planned very carefully.

Well while those guys are moseying their way up north, I'm going to try to shoot a fish today !
First I'll hook up to one with a jerk-bait, then when I have it landed I'll "shoot" a picture of it before I toss it back in. Just like I did with the Squawfish shown below. Oop's I meant "Northern Pikeminnow", I wouldn't want to get jumped on by the PC police now.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana