Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2010, 12:41 AM

305 posts, read 869,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Gman found the wagon yesterday up by Power Montana. Did he sign it?

EDIT - Sheila said, "No, will sign in Conrad".
Yea, I saw they had just taken a break so I didn't want to stop them too long on the road. Hopefully catch them tomorrow!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:57 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
It's Johnny Appleseed time!!

The winter-stored apples' seeds are just rarin' to go, in fact some already have a long root when I cut the apple open.. so now I have two pots full of little baby apple trees, all of two inches tall.

Anyone got a "beer apple" tree in their yard? I'm not sure if this is the same as the Malus dolgo that's normally only used for rootstock, so is seldom seen as a real tree unless the grafted part dies back. It produces fluorescent-red, oblong fruit, typically bears on alternate years, and makes the most wonderful translucent pink jelly. There used to be a few in Great Falls but I've never seen them anywhere else. The fruit is very distinctly NOT round, but barrel-shaped, slightly larger than regular crab apples, and ripens to a shiny pink-red that looks fake compared to other crab apples.

One of the few places selling 'em is Lawyer Nursery in Plains MT!
Product Information

Here's some pictures (was tough to find one that shows the shape of the fruit!)
UMB | Plante- og miljøvitenskap | Månedens plante i mai: Prydeple ’Dolgo’ (Malus ’Dolgo’)
English version

Strange facts and useless information: the historical Johnny Appleseed is surrounded by apocrypha and generally misinterpreted... he wasn't in the trees and charity business, he was in the hard cider business. But what was a business in the pre-industrial world often isn't even recognised as being "work" today.
Whew, haven't heard or thought about 'ol Johhny for quite a few years... Believe it or not according to my grandmother he was a distant cousin of mine...
Well, big news (at least for us), we sold our trailer yesterday and are looking to settle in AZ for a while while our son who was just accepted to ASU goes to school. It was a deal I couldn't pass up! Instead of losing half what I paid which is what every dealer wanted to give me, I only lost about $5k and I definately got that much use out of it! Yippeeeeeee for Craigslist!

You wouldn't believe the price of housing here, you can't rent for what you can buy a 2500 sqft house for which goes from a low of $89k to a high of $150k with an average of around $120k. Now I'll give you it ain't Montana with lots 'o space between neighbors but for citified living it's pretty good in some areas and it's not forever (like anything with us is forever )

Old 05-18-2010, 07:35 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Whew, haven't heard or thought about 'ol Johhny for quite a few years... Believe it or not according to my grandmother he was a distant cousin of mine...
Well, big news (at least for us), we sold our trailer yesterday and are looking to settle in AZ for a while while our son who was just accepted to ASU goes to school. It was a deal I couldn't pass up! Instead of losing half what I paid which is what every dealer wanted to give me, I only lost about $5k and I definately got that much use out of it! Yippeeeeeee for Craigslist!

You wouldn't believe the price of housing here, you can't rent for what you can buy a 2500 sqft house for which goes from a low of $89k to a high of $150k with an average of around $120k. Now I'll give you it ain't Montana with lots 'o space between neighbors but for citified living it's pretty good in some areas and it's not forever (like anything with us is forever )
Congrats on the sale, jimj! I am glad things are working out for him...

Old 05-18-2010, 07:36 PM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman2007 View Post
Yea, I saw they had just taken a break so I didn't want to stop them too long on the road. Hopefully catch them tomorrow!
Reading this makes me feel good. People on this thread are finding the wagon!

Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 PM

299 posts, read 566,053 times
Default Dateline Montana !! .. "Montana Boy Pulls TDY in Arizona" .. Film at 11

jimj... Glad to hear things are working out for you in Arizona.. Looks like you're gonna be right in the thick of it.. If it gets too crazy down there, you can always head back home to the fort.. Fire a shot when you get close, and we'll open the gate for you.. Good luck with your son.. Make sure those Arizonans understand that they're just BORROWING you.. The Montana forum is your home base..

tiberius

Old 05-18-2010, 09:15 PM

8,087 posts, read 15,153,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Reading this makes me feel good. People on this thread are finding the wagon!
Ain't it cool?!

Hey, I'm thinkin' the diary needs a map page that gets updated as it moved along, with enough detail to show the minor roads used. And more pictures taken along the back ways! Those are the best ones!!

Old 05-18-2010, 09:20 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Ain't it cool?!

Hey, I'm thinkin' the diary needs a map page that gets updated as it moved along, with enough detail to show the minor roads used. And more pictures taken along the back ways! Those are the best ones!!
There is a map. It's on the Thanks page. Although, not real detailed. Hard to keep it detailed and still cover where they've been. Going to start a new one at the Canadian border. Think I need more then one map? mayby an overall and then a detailed on where they are?

Old 05-18-2010, 09:27 PM

Where exactly is this bridge across the Teton?
http://wyomingwagonadventures.com/wp...5/IMG00119.jpg

A couple years ago I was futzing around with Google Maps (before they messed it up so now it's hard to browse surface features) and happened across a bridge somewhere near Dutton that was big enough to show a major shadow on the satellite view. Can't see it on the current satellite pictures, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but I'm thinkin' the wagon pic is probably the same bridge.

Old 05-18-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
There is a map. It's on the Thanks page. Although, not real detailed. Hard to keep it detailed and still cover where they've been. Going to start a new one at the Canadian border. Think I need more then one map? mayby an overall and then a detailed on where they are?
Oh, I didn't realise it was there, in fact I hadn't noticed the Thanks page either but that's a real nice touch. Yeah, it would be cool to have detail maps -- maybe one for each diary day! Especially with some of those roads being very much the "road less travelled"

Old 05-18-2010, 09:35 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Quote:
Where exactly is this bridge across the Teton?
http://wyomingwagonadventures.com/wp...5/IMG00119.jpg

A couple years ago I was futzing around with Google Maps (before they messed it up so now it's hard to browse surface features) and happened across a bridge somewhere near Dutton that was big enough to show a major shadow on the satellite view. Can't see it on the current satellite pictures, or maybe I'm just not looking in the right place, but I'm thinkin' the wagon pic is probably the same bridge.
The wagon pic was a very long train tressle across the River.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana