U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 08:32 AM

6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times

Advertisements

Deer can go nuts too, on a bow hunter.

YouTube - Deer Gets Revenge on Hunter

Old 05-20-2010, 09:28 AM

271 posts, read 403,737 times
LOL....isn't that the idiot that sprayed himself with deer scent? Seems he got the wrong kind of attention...

Old 05-20-2010, 09:38 AM

271 posts, read 403,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsr4ever View Post
We have a permit for wild geese. I know it's against the law to take eggs from a nest, but we started doing this a couple of years ago when one of our farmer neighbors told us he destroys every wild goose nest he finds on his property, as it is his legal right (as a farmer) to do this because wild geese can be considered "pests". At least the geese we rescue will have a chance to live. And we always leave 3 eggs for the mama goose.

As far as coyotes go, we live in a remote area out in the country. If we are ever lucky enough to aquire a coyote pup we will never let it run loose. We have a large fenced in area it can run in with our dogs. Our dogs, by the way, were both rescued dogs from shelters. And if it doesn't work out well, we would turn the animal over to a zoo. Coyotes are shot and killed by the hundreds out here. Everybody hates them. But me and my husband. One coyote pup will not be missed by anybody.

Eight years ago we rescued a baby Bluejay that had fallen out of a nest after a bad storm. We were unable to put it back in the nest, and had we left it on the ground it would have been a goner for sure because of all the barn cats in the area. So for the past 8 yrs he has lived in a great big cage in our kitchen right smack in front of a big window. He has made a great pet. Just as good or maybe better than any bird you could purchase in a pet store. Guess what? It is also against the law for us to have him. Do I care? No. At least he is alive and happy. Some laws are just made to be broken I guess.
You obviously care a great deal for animals, which is commendable. But do you really think what you're doing/intend to do is fair to the animals? Wildlife is meant to be wild. Keeping a coyote confined to a yard seems cruel. Better to leave the wildlife wild and let nature take it's course as it always has and does.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:43 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Nature has some oddness as demonstrated by this video. A squirrel and a rattlesnake going at it big time.
I used to have chickens that were descendants of culls from a Mexican fighting flock. So they were pretty smart and tough as chickens go. They ran around the yard and did as they pleased. Sometimes they'd nest under the trailer. This was not a great plan... I heard a ruckus in the middle of the night and lo and behold, here's a gopher snake fighting with the hen. The snake was eating the eggs, and the hen objected rather violently. I think if the fight had been allowed to continue, the snake would have been the loser, but they were breaking what eggs were left so I caught the snake and pitched it over the fence... and next night it was back, with a buddy! (same snake -- scarred tail so it was easy to tell) Didn't have many chicks that year.

If these chickens thought I was late feeding 'em in the morning, they'd attack me! After I caught 'em a couple times and gave 'em a good shaking, the roosters would run up, pick up a foot to spike me, put it back down and meekly walk away. But the hens would still run up behind me and try to spike me in the ass. Typical sneaky vindictive females.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Here is my kinda of wildlife over here!

YouTube - Prairie Chicken Dance

get on it Tina, where is Ike?

Old 05-20-2010, 10:13 AM

10 posts, read 14,989 times
Whoa, what was I thinking. LOL. This is like North Dakota X 10.
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I asked for it.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:14 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,308,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Deer can go nuts too, on a bow hunter.
Go Bambi! That's the funniest thing I've seen in weeks! Bambi tastes good, but it's nice to see food fight back righteously once in a while...

Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM

10 posts, read 14,989 times
I was going to end this conversation about coyotes, geese, and other wildlife, as it seems nobody here thinks it's a good idea to keep any of them for pets. And I will, but I feel I should defend my points of view on this subject. First of all, I have always loved animals and have always had a deep respect for all nature and wildlife. I grew up in a big city and moved out here to North Dakota only 10 yrs ago. I was so excited and enthusiastic about being able to finally live out in the country where wildlife is so abundant. I was also very disappointed to find out fairly quickly that the people who have lived out here all of their lives look at wildlife in a totally different way than I do. Out here wildlife means two things and two things only; kill it and eat it, or kill it because it exists. Now I am not a hunter, but I have no problem with people hunting to kill things to eat. I do have a problem with people who kill things just to kill them. I know people who kill wild animals just because they see them on their property. And they live way out in the country, so of course there will be wild animals on their property some times. Nobody here, and I mean NOBODY, sees the beauty that I see in a Coyote, a Racoon, a Skunk, a Prairiedog, or even a lowly snake. It makes me sick when I hear my neighbor talking about all the coyotes he shoots just for the heck of it. He doesn't even own any livestock. He, and his buddies just do it for sport. Just about everybody else I know out here will shoot a skunk or a racoon if they spot one on their property because "they all have rabies". This "kill everything in sight" attitude makes me sick. And it is the prevalent attitude out here. How the heck could I be so wrong in saving a wild animal and making a pet out of it? If that's the case, then there shouldn't exist any zoos anywhere. Nobody should own ANY pets, because there was a time when they were all wild. Even dogs and cats had wild beginnings. And it's definitly not as bad as poisoning, trapping and shooting them.

Well that's my story. I love animals. I actually live for them. If I didn't , I would be back in the big city tomorrow. I can't keep other people from doing what they do to them. But I can do the best for them that I can do and enjoy myself while I'm doing it.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petsr4ever View Post
Whoa, what was I thinking. LOL. This is like North Dakota X 10.
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I asked for it.
Well, just look at a map. Montana is where pioneers settled if they thought North Dakota was too crowded and too close to the big cities back east.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:19 PM

299 posts, read 486,541 times
Default " and in the opposite corner, wearing the camouflage trunks ......"

Rickers... That was classic.. I could almost hear Howard Cosell calling the fight in my head...... After the fight .....

COSELL ) .. " Excellent display of your superior boxing skills Bambi .. and I, for one, was not surprised by the outcome.. You had him on the defensive from the opening bell .. did this surprise you.. He IS well known for being an AGRESSIVE fighter.."

BAMBI ) .. " It didn't surprise me at all Howard.. I'm in the best shape of my life, and I'm faster than ever.. And HE knew it.. I'm surprised he showed up at all.. We actually had to allow him a weapon to get him to sign for the bout.. And you saw how much good it did him.. There's no one in my weight class who can touch me .. there's no one in BOXING who can touch me.. I may have to take YOU on next, Howard.."

I'd love to hear the stories the deer told when he got together with his friends.. I can hear the guys at the deer's favorite watering hole.. " C'mon Bambi .. just tell it ONE more time." ..... " Yeah, tell us the part where you made him EAT his bow ..."

tiberius
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana