U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 03:23 PM

4,921 posts, read 5,810,997 times

Advertisements

Hello petsr4ever,

Wow!! North Dakota x 10!! We won again!! LOL!!

I don't think anyone was attacking your beliefs or ideals, just trying to help you understand there can be consiquenses when you deal with wild animals whether from the law or the animals themselves.

You obviously love animals, that is commendable It shows a caring individual who is willing to voice her opionon. That too is fine.

Those of us who were raised here and grown up with these animals don't have the perhaps romantic perception of them. We appreciate them for what they actually are.
In today's "culture" it is easy to start believing all those "nature" shows and "documentaries" that show a biased and not always truthful view of the animal.

I too love animals, but I appreciate them as animals.
Giving animals human characteristics is not only wrong, it diminishes the actual marvel that is the animal.
One of my favorite game animals is the Pronghorn Antelope. I love to hunt them, and the meat is fantastic. I also study them the rest of the year, not just hunting season, because it fastinates me that an animal so apparently delicate, has bones stronger than a cow, can outrun everything else on the plains, can live on sagebrush and muddy alkali water, survive the most brutal winter temperatures and storms, have eyes like 8x binoculars, and yet are so curious they will walk right up on you if you are doing something that catches their attention.
They have survived since the Pleistocene Ice Age, and came back from over hunting in the 19th century.
No matter what happens, they adapt and overcome in their own environment. That is worth celebrating.

I don't subscribe to wanton killing of animals for whatever reason, but Skunks, Raccoons and Coyotes are suseptible to Rabies and other diseases, are in no danger of extinction but have actually increased their ranges because they are survivors that can live in close proximity to humans, but are not in any way domestic.

I think your love of animals is a very good thing, I would just caution you to not let your heart overrule your head. You risk not only retribution from law enforcement, but disease as any animal can carry distemper, or mange, or lice, Bubonic or Pnumonic plague, or any of a hundred other diseases.

You don't have to capture an animal and keep it locked up to appreciate them.
They are wonderful as free spirits doing as nature intended by being what they are, not what we would like them to be.

I am not trying to change your mind, or pick a fight, I am just urging caution as I wouldn't want you or the animal to be hurt.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:33 PM

10 posts, read 14,996 times
I don't live a fantasy Disney life. And I don't attribute human characteristics to animals. But I do love them and all of nature. I see a whole lot of people who don't. And it bothers me to no end.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times
I love nature too and enjoy hiking and just being in nature - like the Everglades but I don't want to confine an animal that belongs in nature and existing with others of its species. I've tried to rescue baby birds that have fallen out of their nest but I would never confine it to a lifetime of being caged. They deserve better than this.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:35 PM

10 posts, read 14,996 times
I would have turned my Bluejay loose after raising him if I could have. But that would have been a death sentence for him. You can't raise a wild animal and then turn it loose. It just doesn't work that way. I really don't think he is unhappy in his life. It is all he knows. And life for him is no different than that of a parakeet or any other domesticated bird. They were all wild at one time. The geese we raise do eventually go wild. We hatch them in an incubator and when they are old enough, we have a large fenced in area behind our house with a pond. They stay there all summer and in the fall they migrate with the other geese in the area. We have banded them and some of them have returned the next spring. As far as a pet coyote, there is a book called "The Daily Coyote" about a woman in Wyoming who raised one from a pup and still has him and he is doing fine. There is a website called "The Daily Coyote" about the same person with a bunch of pictures.

Old 05-21-2010, 11:19 AM

519 posts, read 1,222,936 times
Just stopping in to say HI to all my CD friends. Been awile. Been busy with my business and with the kids and sports. Hope all is well.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:36 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
My wife is watching Avatar for the third time in two days ! Nice production that movie was.
We recently watched "The Departed" (see Wiki link for the plot and cast details etc.) For an award winning and star filled movie I don't see why they edited it so poorly . Nothing is mentioned in the Wiki page about poor editing but if you watched it you'll know what I mean.

The Departed - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-21-2010, 02:15 PM

I don't know what to eat tonight. My cupboard is pretty bare - but I could cook some plain spaghetti, or I could drive down 3 miles to my Cracker Barrel..... decisions, decisions...what would you do? Hurry up, I am hungry!!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:09 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times
If you haven't eaten yet just print out a copy of this post photo and eat the printed page, that should hold you over for a while.
!

Old 05-21-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
If you haven't eaten yet just print out a copy of this post photo and eat the printed page, that should hold you over for a while.
!
That looks soooooooooooooooooooo gooooooooooooooooooooooood!!! I hear that Montana steaks are pretty tasty.

Old 05-21-2010, 04:33 PM

I ended up going to CB. I had meatloaf, green beans, carrots, fried apples and cornbread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana