U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2010, 03:32 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,914,590 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Not my trees... just a pic someone came up with over in the Latin forum. Does look like self-hanging meat to me, tho
That "Goats in the trees" pic was taken in Morocco. The goats there seem to love eating up in some of the trees there.

The little crack in the hydroplane not only caused the boat's driver to head directly to the dock, it also caused the entire race event to be shut down. They were supposed to be racing today but the entire race is kibosh-ed.
I may mosey on over to the race area in a while to chat up some of the racers who may still be lingering about. They already paid for the campsites and motel rooms and may take this opportunity to poke about this area. I just don't want anyone to discover my secret fishing spots.
Maybe I can sell a kayak or two !

My pet parrot Peekaboo's nemesis.

Me doing what I do, on The Clark Fork River.

The higher mountain lakes are opening up, this one can be driven to.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,957,348 times
Rickers, it looks heavenly! Enjoy!

Old 06-20-2010, 06:29 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,541,728 times
The bottom picture looks similar to a lake I visit by Georgetown Lake

Old 06-20-2010, 07:12 PM

The pic of the mountain lake I posted is in the Bitterroot Mountains.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:16 PM

1,191 posts, read 2,574,900 times
Video today of Billings tornado, Metra destruction

YouTube - Tornado Destroys MetraPark

Old 06-20-2010, 10:18 PM

7,544 posts, read 12,612,957 times
Predicting made it happen, we didn't mean to do it!

Tornado destroys MetraPark arena, Heights stores

Old 06-20-2010, 10:56 PM

I remember many years back (yes I still can !), near San Diego, a waterspout sucked up a school of bait-fish and dropped them abruptly, mostly in one backyard of a house in a neighboring suburb.
I hope one doesn't come near me while I'm fishing cuz if the twister does a "Dorthy" on me I doubt if the munchkins will let me bring my pimped out fishing kayak back with me.
It won't fit in the balloon basket.
Seriously though I hope nobody got hurt by the twister. Go indoors when you hear thunder, I do.
I'm not afraid of dying at all but I ain't done living yet, I still have "Ol Walter" to catch. ("Grumpy Old Men" movie)

Old 06-21-2010, 12:02 AM

5,798 posts, read 9,313,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurzig View Post
Did you hear that a biologist type-of-guy, (can't remember the title exactly), got killed by a grizzly in or on the edge of Yellowstone a couple of days ago?

He was part of a group studying whatever, (sorry, can't remember much of the article), and his wife couldn't find him, so the group went back to the original spot and found his body...

Happy Father's Day to all dads and honorary uncles!
What I remember about the story is that he and his wife were staying at their cabin, and he wasn't part of the grizzly research team. The researchers hadn't alerted the locals that they'd tranquilized a griz in the area, so the poor man apparently came across a dopey griz, and it cost him his life.

Rickers, thanks for the hydroplane report and pics! Too bad it got canceled--but it's probably the wrong time of year to have such an event, on a swollen river. Guess I didn't miss much, then! But the noise must really have been deafening--could probably be heard all the way to Clark Fork!

Old 06-21-2010, 02:32 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Well y'all, after yesterday's wild weather down in Billings and the downpour here AZ is looking better and better! Me don't like tornadic activity..NO.....(hearing yoda's voice).
We left GA and NC after being through a couple though I do have to admit someone was watching over us as one tornado jumped our subdivision and hit a mile down the road destroying everything.
I'm glad no one in Billings was hurt, I do wish people here would take this weather a little bit more seriously though. The last time we had tornadic activity here my neighbors who were born here decided it was a neat looking storm and sat out on their porch to watch it . We went under our house when the tornado warning sounded on tv. The thing nailed the horse arena in Kalispell and we had a pretty good microburst or 3 that flattened the wheat fields off 206 in C-Falls.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:18 AM

4,023 posts, read 4,732,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
What I remember about the story is that he and his wife were staying at their cabin, and he wasn't part of the grizzly research team. The researchers hadn't alerted the locals that they'd tranquilized a griz in the area, so the poor man apparently came across a dopey griz, and it cost him his life.

Rickers, thanks for the hydroplane report and pics! Too bad it got canceled--but it's probably the wrong time of year to have such an event, on a swollen river. Guess I didn't miss much, then! But the noise must really have been deafening--could probably be heard all the way to Clark Fork!
Oh, okay. So according to plantlover, the guy was a botanist but the research team checking out the grizzlies and how they effect the ecosystem was made up of state and federal biologists who had just tranquilized 2 grizzles and placed radio collars on them. I have found a bit more online than what the L.A. Times had, but the articles differ a bit. One states that the researchers had been alerting people in the area (Kitty Creek) and the other states that the victim did not pay attention to any signs that were posted. To me, it's not clear if he knew to stay out of the area or not. (His cabin was in Kitty Creek). They're going to investigate to see if proper notification was given. Anyway, the area that had his cabin was off limits for hiking until further notice, but he went out and was apparently attacked in the area where they had trapped one of the bears....his body was found where they left the bear to wake up. There were no plans to kill the bear--they were going to trap it again and then check the DNA--a large adult male. Since last year, they've been back on the federal endangered species list.

Well, they found it but couldn't catch it and it started going deeply into the forest where there was a chance that it could ditch the radio collar, so they killed it. There was no way that they could tell if the animal was just being defensive when he met up with the man or if it was overly aggressive and they didn't want to take the chance of it killing anybody else. A rapid DNA test comparing the blood that they withdrew when the bear was tranquilized to genetic material left on the man confirmed that it was the correct bear.

OHHHHHH, this other article states that the man knew all about the warnings but he was curious about the research and ignored the verbal and posted warnings..... He had just published a book about plants in Yellowstone and he and his wife have had the cabin for 30 years and spend every summer there....he was from Chicago but was also on research staff at the University of Wyoming.

The article states it has been pretty windy around Cody and is not a good time to hike (in the wind). Bears have trouble smelling and hearing people in blustery conditions and it might have been a defensive response. Close range, surprise encounter, so bear spray or a gun might not have helped at all.

You are right......when there are several in a lake, the decibel noise is off the charts.......it's very shrill..... It's worse than a Nascar race or maybe just as bad, but the noise is 'higher'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana