U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2010, 12:14 PM

299 posts, read 486,289 times

Advertisements

The trick with deep frying gizzards and chicken livers, is to take them out a couple minutes before they're done.. They keep cooking after you take them out, and will finish up very nicely while they're draining.. If you wait till they're done in the cooker, they'll be like leather when you eat them...... Add a small dish with buttermilk ranch dressing to dip them in and " VOILA' " .. an "uber snack" among snacks.. Sit it all down in front of my chair on MT-7's porch, with a little talk about what a great season the Bears are gonna have .. and I'm a happy man.

tiberius

Old 07-22-2010, 12:55 PM

9,341 posts, read 25,472,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiberius View Post
The trick with deep frying gizzards ...

Chicken pipiks (gizzards) are slowly boiled in slightly salted water, along with the neck, and added to the chicken soup with matzoh balls. Hmmm, hmmm, hmmm.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM

11,854 posts, read 15,492,091 times
Ever had salted boiled peanuts? That's an all time favorite of mine. Fresh roadside stand southern boiled peanuts. Gracious- I'm roadtripping to North Carolina now...

Old 07-22-2010, 01:34 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,598,383 times
Here's a little adventure route someone's nifty travelogue post reminded me of... drive carefully!

Tail of the Dragon at Deals Gap and Cherohala Skyway, Graham Co, NC

Old 07-22-2010, 01:36 PM

7,543 posts, read 12,598,383 times
Speakin' of liver and bacon... Rumaki, the treat that taught me to eat liver!
Rumaki - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I suppose you could make it kosher too, with some of that beef bacon. Oughta be just as good.

Oh yes, gizzards-and-necks soup, my grandmother made that, wonderful base no matter what else you put in it. Mmmmm......

Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,898,358 times
Thumbs up I feel like fisheys tonight !

Hey ya all, I took this picture below at Pilgrim Park in Noxon the other day. This is the delta of pilgrim creek just before entering the Clark Fork River. There are little trout feeding at the end where the babbling stream joins the wider flat river water, but no trail to the hot spot and big boats can't get up in there.
I'm going to induce a eye rolling dirty look from my wife in a minute or two when I start flapping my bucking wings and start singing;
"I feel like fisheys tonight, fisheys tonight"

When We all have that Montana CD Forum meet up and if we do it at this park. There is no fee to reserve the large gathering area. They supply the shade, lawn, picnic tables and horseshoe pit including the shoes. I'll supply the croquette set and kayaks. The space must be reserved two weeks or more in advance. We're burning daylight !

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TEimgBv9pII/AAAAAAAACHg/xz-mrPTRF2E/s512/IMG_0754.JPG (broken link)

Old 07-22-2010, 02:58 PM

299 posts, read 486,289 times
Default "Get yer PEANUTS" ... "I'll take a bag" ... "There you go, enjoy" ...... "Uh .. slow game mr. A-Rod?"

BOILED PEANUTS !!! ... One of life's hidden gems.. Am I the only one who thinks that boiled peanuts, and chick peas (garbanzo beans) taste like boiled chestnuts.. I love them..

Necks, gizzards, hearts ... they have so many uses.. They make a great broth to use when making stuffing for the turkey.. Does anyone else make stuffing just cause they like stuffing .. with no plans to stuff anything but themselves.. A quarter of my stuffing never even reaches the oven.. I can actually do without the turkey, to me its ALL about the stuffing.. Fry it up just like potato pancakes.. Heck, I'll even make mashed potatos just to make potato pancakes with them.. "Extra onion, please." .....

tiberius

Old 07-22-2010, 03:12 PM

9,341 posts, read 25,472,418 times
Quote:
Fry it up just like potato pancakes.. Heck, I'll even make mashed potatos just to make potato pancakes with them.. "Extra onion, please." .....
No problem with the extra onion; but, please shredded, not mashed, potatoes in my latkes (potato pancakes), with dollops of applesauce and sour cream on top.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,909,633 times
Quote:
The trick with deep frying gizzards and chicken livers, is to take them out a couple minutes before they're done.. They keep cooking after you take them out, and will finish up very nicely while they're draining.. If you wait till they're done in the cooker, they'll be like leather when you eat them...... Add a small dish with buttermilk ranch dressing to dip them in and " VOILA' " .. an "uber snack" among snacks.. Sit it all down in front of my chair on MT-7's porch, with a little talk about what a great season the Bears are gonna have .. and I'm a happy man.

tiberius
Oh I love me some gizzards...LOL.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:28 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,909,633 times
Quote:
BOILED PEANUTS !!! ... One of life's hidden gems.. Am I the only one who thinks that boiled peanuts, and chick peas (garbanzo beans) taste like boiled chestnuts.. I love them..

Necks, gizzards, hearts ... they have so many uses.. They make a great broth to use when making stuffing for the turkey.. Does anyone else make stuffing just cause they like stuffing .. with no plans to stuff anything but themselves.. A quarter of my stuffing never even reaches the oven.. I can actually do without the turkey, to me its ALL about the stuffing.. Fry it up just like potato pancakes.. Heck, I'll even make mashed potatos just to make potato pancakes with them.. "Extra onion, please." .....

tiberius
I agree! Cornbread dressing is my favorite
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana