U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 01:15 PM

23 posts, read 31,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
How the heck do you make seedless raspberry jam? And what's this "freezer jam" thing?

And only 12 directions? I was SURE there were at least a dozen more directions here somewhere... Tiberius, haul out that map. I think we're lost!
(giggle) it's a bit a work, but i strain out the seeds. first pass thru an old crank-style food mill, then again through a big siev. i don't like the crunchy seeds. then you have your seedless fruity pulp to boil with sugar and pectin. my grandmother used to make the perfectly crystal-clear jelly - elderberry, everything she could get her hands on got canned and preserved. lol i always used to help her in the kitchen. she's also the one who taught me how to make pie crust, which still scares me to this day to make from scratch.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:21 PM

35,108 posts, read 40,296,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildflower72 View Post
not at all - i have been all over MT ID & WY, about 5 trips i think? granted only in the summer, but i love winter, as long as i don't have to do all the shoveling myself. last winter you woulda heard me griping a lot, lol.
i have 3 boys, ages 3, 6, 10. as i said before, my DH is over in afghanistan making a dent in the taliban population. i do all kinds of stuff to pass the time - knit, sew, make stuff outta junk for the house (my style leans towards the eclectic & rustic), a little gardening, spend time at the stables down the street from my place. take the boys fishing every chance i get. and cooking & baking. and of course research stuff for our montana dream house. happy to be here with a nice bunch of folks. you all can keep me tied to MT while i have to endure Philthadelphia for the present.
the jam is cooling, hope we get 100% seal! good berries this year - hot and decent rain. i would do freezer, but not a lot of room in there.
Please send a BIG THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! to your husband and all of the guys and gals he is there with. I appreciate what they do so I can continue to live my life the way I do. Also, send a big thank you to his parents for raising such a brave child and THANK YOU....YOU KNOW YOU, his lovely bride and your children for understanding that he has to do what he feels is the right thing, and thank you for sacrificing everything that you do so he can do what he does.~~~~~

And I'm here because I was invited, I live in Illinois and I'm looking to move to Iowa very soon (I hope). I like it here though and I think I'll keep my rocker right where it is.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:25 PM

One more thing I ain't leaving until they throw me out.........

Anyway, a quick update, I have been released by my Dr. from the surgery in July so I can do everything I did before including mowing except I still can't mow because I still have stitches in my cheek and my right calf from my procedure this past Friday. Those stitches come out this coming Friday and I should be done with Dr.'s removing any more parts of my body. Thank goodness.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:02 PM

23 posts, read 31,336 times
thanks csd. i will pass on your gratitude and well wishes the next time i talk to him. your kind words (and those of others) mean a lot

Old 08-30-2010, 10:37 PM

299 posts, read 486,694 times
Default "LOST BOYS" .. canned meats .. and persian pastry

HECK, Rez .. I don't need no MAP to tell if we're lost ...... WE'RE LOST !!! ... The trouble with maps is that they tell you where EVERYTHING ELSE is, but not where YOU are.. Now where the heck is my old compass.. Ahhh, HERE it is.. Now, as I remember, there's declination and inclination and ......... Hmmmmm ... You know, Rez, now that I look around, this place we're at NOW don't look half bad...... I'm inclined to decline our plan to get back to the highline ... and simply recline .. right here............. Toss me a can of that "faux viande", Rez .. and grab one for yourself.. And if we can rustle up some local roots and greens, I'm thinkin' vienna sausage stew for dinner.. Tomorrow, maybe trout stuffed with "faux viande" .. And the next day we break out the slingshot ... and I'm thinkin' squirrel or rabbit .. maybe even both .......... stuffed with "faux viande".. I KNEW this stuff was a good buy .. EVEN IF none of the ingredients sounded familiar .. and only barely legal..

As to the evolution of the blintz, there's a little known OTHER part of that story..

While the women loved them, the men, who were warriors, weren't as taken with them.. They found them too small and soft and sweet.. And in a time of war - as was often the situation in Persia - the men figured the women should be using their time to so something more helpful to the war effort.. A short time later, the village was taken over by invaders, and all the men held captive to be killed in the morning.. Thinking quickly, the women made many of the new desserts, and fed them to the invaders .. knowing that the sweet cheesey blintzes would make the men eating them very thirsty for wine.. Their plan worked, and all the invaders got drunk and fell asleep.. The women released their men, who quickly dispatched of the sleeping invaders.. There was much celebrating, and the men admitted that the women, and their blintzes, saved the day.. To honor the ocassion, it was decreed that the blintz would be a staple of their diet.. And it was also decreed that when the story of this event was told - as it would be MANY times - the action taken by the women would be refered to by a combination of the name of the pastry and the invaders word for war ...... blintzkrieg. ...... The tide of the war turned, and the barbarian invaders were finally driven from Persia .. and back to Germany .. never to forget how they were defeated by a small pastry.. "It happend so fast .. we didn't have a chance" was all they could say. .. The Germans were so embarassed, that they even refused to spell the name of the pastry correctly .. leaving out the "n".

And now you know ... the rest of the story.

My apologies to Walter for hijacking his excellent historical post.. No disrespect intended.

tiberius

Old 08-30-2010, 11:22 PM

6,258 posts, read 12,921,687 times
Classic T.
You know how to keep them reading to the end

Old 08-31-2010, 04:26 AM

You would think out of all the people I know and some I don't know that are on my friends list on Facebook that ONE of them could be my new neighbor in Cafe World so I can expand my cafe, but NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOO they just can't do it. They want you to send them all free gifts for the other games (FrontierVille & FarmVille) which they play often but they don't play the one I play.....

Ok, rant is sort of over and I officially play mind numbing games in the wee hours before the roosters get up when I am having coffee, when I sit down to take a break for lunch and right before I go to bed.

Old 08-31-2010, 08:26 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,921,687 times
The wacky weather continues.
Weather Service assesses storm damage in West Yellowstone

Old 08-31-2010, 09:05 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,474,664 times
We had a tornado on the ground down here. What baffles me is that normally you equate tornado's to hot temps. But our high yesterday was 66 degrees.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 08-31-2010, 10:06 AM

4,921 posts, read 5,810,997 times
I know a weather watcher in Big Timber who thought that his neighbor had let the sprinker run over his rain gage because it had 2 inches of water in it Sunday afternoon, but then it also rained hard all day Monday.

I blew the 4 wheel drive out of my truck fighting mud near Livingston Sunday while trying to get some firewood out.

I don't know what is going on, but I don't remember this much rain in August for a long time!

I have been snowed out of camps a few times on Labor Day, but this is getting rediculous.

At least it keeps putting out the fires the Forest Service is setting near Helena
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana