U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-17-2010, 12:46 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Reputation: 3429

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I agree, stealth and patience, but don't forget practice.
I actually think that rifle hunters need to be in better physical shape, but bowhunters need more mental fortitude.

Bowhunting is like playing chess, you have to think through your moves several steps in advance by knowing your animal, it's habits and characteristicts, you pattern, know the trails and waterholes they use, and work the angles to set up an ambush. You move slow, but think fast.

There are more aggressive ways to bowhunt, like I did in my youth. One time I had set up a blind and after the sun had come up with no animals coming by, I could hear them moving in the timber to the east of my position. I bugled to confirm that they were actually elk, and got a bugle in response.
I started moving in to intercept the herd, and was well out of position when a small 5 point satallite bull came busting out of a hidden draw.
He came within 10 feet of me and stopped to look at the exact spot I had called from.
The only cover I had was a small tree about 6 feet tall, and it was between us, but didn't offer enough cover for me to draw my bow. So I stood stock still on one side, with the bull on the other so close it felt like I could reach out my bow and touch him.
I hoped he would step forward just a couple steps so I could get a shot, so I just froze, waited and hoped while trying not to breathe.

We just stood there eyeball to eyeball for about a minute before he spun and took off back down the draw he had come from. Talk about a rush!!!

Bowhunting isn't the most efficient way to hunt, but it is definately the most spiritual as you take on the animal on their turf, and on their terms.

Not a sport for everyone, but what a thrill when all your work comes together with the fates, and you have that magnificent animal come to you.

I have hunted with a bow for over 30 years now. I still use my recurve, and while I may not always bring home meat, I always have a great time and that is what it is all about
Now that was a story! Eyeball to eyeball. Congrats on an experience of a lifetime, thanks for sharing.

 
Old 09-17-2010, 12:50 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
I have a friend who is a Lion Hunter. Several ranches contract him go take care of lions and bobcats. When hunting season comes around, everybody hires him to pack for them. Specially bow hunters to invariably get into some really nasty areas and then realize the elk they just shot has to be packed out. So they call him.

He loads up his horses and heads out. The other day, he went in to get an elk for a guy. From the truck, it was 300 yards to the Elk. Riding a good Morgan and leading another Morgan (either horse is ridable or packable) it took him 3 hours to get to the Elk. He quartered the Elk and brought it out in ONE trip and it was another 3 hours. He said, "I had to lock in the hubs".

You gotta respect the stealth abilities of bow hunters. Specially when they are going after Elk or Moose.
Now I did not know that a Morgan would be a good pack horse, I know they are strong. Bet they are beauties, one of my favorite with their huge thick necks. They always take a great photo.
3 hours to pack it out...that better be some good meat. Was he watching for a friendly bear during the quartering?
 
Old 09-17-2010, 01:59 PM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,466,937 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Now I did not know that a Morgan would be a good pack horse, I know they are strong. Bet they are beauties, one of my favorite with their huge thick necks. They always take a great photo.
3 hours to pack it out...that better be some good meat. Was he watching for a friendly bear during the quartering?
While packing, he carry's a 500 S&W. I've seen him get it into action while on horseback. Believe it or not, his horses will stand for it. I, on the other hand, can't hear for a week.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
 
Old 09-18-2010, 12:07 AM
 
Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,297 posts, read 3,343,915 times
Reputation: 4829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Now I did not know that a Morgan would be a good pack horse, I know they are strong. Bet they are beauties, one of my favorite with their huge thick necks. They always take a great photo.
3 hours to pack it out...that better be some good meat. Was he watching for a friendly bear during the quartering?
Back in the 1960's and '70's I had a Morgan/Throughbred Cross that would pack and/or ride. Most often (in elk season, in CO) I would pack him up with our tent camp equipment and lead him in to our camp site while riding a good 'ole 'ranch broke' quarter horse mare. My hunting buddy also had two horses that would pack/ride. So we could make just one trip from the horse trailer to the camp site, (about 3 miles on a pretty decent trail, at about 8500'. My Morgan Cross wasn't cut until he was 6 and he was a 'Big Boy': 1390#; 16--1" big thick neck; enormous chest; wore # 3 shoes front & rear and a tail that just about touched the ground. Had him for 17 years. His name "Big Red" was very appropriate. Had no problem packin' out deer or elk on him......but to be able to get a bear on him, we had to Cross Tie him between two trees (about 30" apart), blind fold him and rub a little Vicks Vapor Rub on his nose before we could get a bear securred on the pack saddle. The smell of a bear just drove him crazy. Morgans...great breed!
 
Old 09-18-2010, 07:39 AM
 
Location: Spots Wyoming
18,696 posts, read 36,466,937 times
Reputation: 2147483647
Was snowing at my place at 1am this morning. Had to get up and turn on the furnace. It was 33 degrees outside and 54 degrees in the living room of my cabin.
__________________
[B][COLOR="Red"]"No Copyrighted Material."[/COLOR][/B]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]
 
Old 09-18-2010, 08:41 AM
 
Location: In The Outland
6,023 posts, read 11,911,328 times
Reputation: 3535
Wink Back into my pod thank you ! Brrrrrrrrrrr.

Dang that's cold enough to cause a guy like me to crawl back into my pod for a few more hours, ♥♥.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_9a8nDInPVGE/TIce4shednI/AAAAAAAADfY/5ZdkYxCa7WQ/s512/Propane%20Switch%20Out.JPG (broken link)
 
Old 09-18-2010, 10:54 AM
 
Location: Brendansport, Sagitta IV
7,543 posts, read 12,609,464 times
Reputation: 2954
Hey, does that mean if I damage the pod, my clone gets charged instead of me??

Killed rattler #50 this morning ... one of the feral kittens came running round the end of the barn looking at me like "Boss, come quick! there's a monster!!" (with dad-cat right behind him, and he's usually pretty smart about what's what) so I went to look and there it was.
 
Old 09-18-2010, 11:46 AM
 
Location: Seymour, Missouri
45 posts, read 68,571 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
Hey, does that mean if I damage the pod, my clone gets charged instead of me??

Killed rattler #50 this morning ... one of the feral kittens came running round the end of the barn looking at me like "Boss, come quick! there's a monster!!" (with dad-cat right behind him, and he's usually pretty smart about what's what) so I went to look and there it was.
No way! 50!!!! Why do you have so many?? I would walk on stilts.
 
Old 09-18-2010, 12:44 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Griz View Post
Back in the 1960's and '70's I had a Morgan/Throughbred Cross that would pack and/or ride. Most often (in elk season, in CO) I would pack him up with our tent camp equipment and lead him in to our camp site while riding a good 'ole 'ranch broke' quarter horse mare. My hunting buddy also had two horses that would pack/ride. So we could make just one trip from the horse trailer to the camp site, (about 3 miles on a pretty decent trail, at about 8500'. My Morgan Cross wasn't cut until he was 6 and he was a 'Big Boy': 1390#; 16--1" big thick neck; enormous chest; wore # 3 shoes front & rear and a tail that just about touched the ground. Had him for 17 years. His name "Big Red" was very appropriate. Had no problem packin' out deer or elk on him......but to be able to get a bear on him, we had to Cross Tie him between two trees (about 30" apart), blind fold him and rub a little Vicks Vapor Rub on his nose before we could get a bear securred on the pack saddle. The smell of a bear just drove him crazy. Morgans...great breed!
And no doubt very smart as to know what was trying to be put on his back. I didn't know they were in colors other than black. I bet he was quite a sight. BTW Seven uses the ole Vick's trick in her work occasionally when the going is tough
 
Old 09-18-2010, 12:47 PM
 
Location: NW Montana
6,258 posts, read 12,919,135 times
Reputation: 3429
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Was snowing at my place at 1am this morning. Had to get up and turn on the furnace. It was 33 degrees outside and 54 degrees in the living room of my cabin.
It was trying up on the hi-line all day, snow in St. Marie but I never drove into any along the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top