U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2010, 07:19 AM

4,919 posts, read 5,805,760 times

Advertisements

Hate to add to the doom and gloom, but with the coming up on the horizion in 2011, any health insurance your employer pays for you will be taxed as part of your income.

Oh yeah, and health savings accounts will now be taxed as well. The medical flexible spending account I have been using comes out of pre tax revenue kind of like a deferred comp plan, so it was lowering my tax liability. Not any more.

I am looking for a good veterinarian who likes silver..........

And not for my dogs.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:26 AM

11,861 posts, read 15,514,458 times
I believe my life insurance has been that way for years.

I didn'nt know hsa's would no longer be pre-tax. No benefit to use it then.

Old 09-23-2010, 07:55 AM

7,543 posts, read 12,608,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTSilvertip View Post
I am looking for a good veterinarian who likes silver..........

And not for my dogs.
A friend here who is a vet wound up doing a year in prison for his kindness in helping out indigent clients (and not the lower end of the leash). Maybe MT is less anal about restricting your health care choices, but it's something to be aware of.

I think the Nurse Practitioner is going to replace the rapidly-vanishing general practice M.D. for the less-than-wealthy and uninsured public. And in my experience, a good N.P. is much better than a disinterested HMO doctor. (Tho MDs are actively trying to restrict the numbers of NPs available by increasing the educational requirements, to no benefit that I can see.)

If you're not aware, part of the shortage of doctors is because the AMA restricts the numbers that are allowed to graduate -- so it's an artificially created shortage, nothing to do with reality. (I don't know if the AVMA does the same thing with veterinarians, but I wouldn't put it past them. I do know that they are actively supporting policies that are rapidly increasing costs to consumers.)

Old 09-23-2010, 09:58 AM

6,258 posts, read 12,917,972 times
Hi neighbors, I honestly cannot say where all this health care is going. I pay a wad of cash for me and hubs as well, the last kid is finally off but I am not see a real savings.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:03 AM

You have to sell the kids to the white slavers before they hit 3 feet tall. Otherwise their market value goes to pot, and eventually you have to pay someone to haul them away!!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:44 AM

1,219 posts, read 2,816,079 times
LOL Reziac! I told my wife it was time for our 4 year old to start his double shifts at the smelter to earn his keep.. haha

I recently switched jobs because my health insurance shot to over $1100 per month. Decent raise and benefits at the new place, however if it's true that they are going to tax us on our health insurance as income, I might be pretty well screwed anyway... I'm a SITK family provider just like Threerun.. (Single income, 2 kids)

What exactly went into effect today with regards to Abomina(tion) care?

At least it's hunting season!

Old 09-23-2010, 12:15 PM

Ya know, if you put that $1100/month into a good investment account, and only used it for catastrophic health care... after a few years you'd have more cash reserve built up than most insurance will ever pay out no matter what happens to you.

As to being taxed on it, from what I hear you'll be taxed on your employer's contribution TOO, which amounts to as much as 3 times what you have to pay out of your own pocket!

BTW always check that hospital bill itemized line by line -- turns out most are padded by about 2/3rds to make up for all the stuff insurance refuses to pay, or pays very slowly.

The county here has an at-cost clinic anyone can use, and guess what surgery costs you if you prepay?? $400. Yep, that's with just two zeros. Goes to show somethin', and it ain't somethin' good. 'Course you may die of old age waiting in line, but...

Old 09-23-2010, 03:18 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,909,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt-7 View Post
Hi neighbors, I honestly cannot say where all this health care is going. I pay a wad of cash for me and hubs as well, the last kid is finally off but I am not see a real savings.
I know where all the money ends up ~~~ take a good look at the salaries of all the insurance company's executive employees.
:thi nk: ?????? Why so high ??????

Old 09-23-2010, 03:26 PM

2,627 posts, read 4,954,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I know where all the money ends up ~~~ take a good look at the salaries of all the insurance company's executive employees.
:thi nk: ?????? Why so high ??????
Tried to rep you.....but no go. Totally agree with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-23-2010, 04:35 PM

6,023 posts, read 11,909,801 times
Yup the system lords restrict freedom of reputation ! ~♥~
There is a good reason for the rules though.
I feel another picture coming on !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana