U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 AM

22,952 posts, read 22,581,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Had to start the furnace. 21 degrees outside and 58 degrees inside it was looking a bit nippy to get in the shower.
Dang, had to re-start the A/C, 98 degrees outside dropping to a chilly 75 tonight!

Old 10-13-2010, 07:33 AM

What do y'all think is a fair price for our hand scooped ice cream cones?

Old 10-13-2010, 08:30 AM

9,341 posts, read 25,524,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
That might depend on the price of ice cream, which, in turn, depends on the price of milk ...

Weekly High, Low & Close, $-cwt, Class IV Milk
Attached Thumbnails
Let's visit.....-weeklyhighlowcloseclassivmilk.png  

Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM

7,545 posts, read 12,622,658 times
Quote:
As low as can be managed without losing money. Okay, with still making a profit.

There are two factors: What the market will bear (I have no idea what the going rate is right now), and your own costs and profit margin.

When cones were 25 cents a scoop, I bought a scoop or two every time I went past the Thrifty Drugstore on a hot day; that was a no-brainer on just the loose change in my pocket. When it went up to 50 cents a scoop, I had to think twice if I really wanted it, and usually I didn't, not that bad. At a buck a scoop ... I ain't had one since (and you may notice that most of these ice-cream counters are now gone). I can buy a 5-quart pail of good stuff for $5 at Sam's Club, I ain't paying the equivalent of $50 for it one scoop at a time. I'm never that desperate.

I don't know what the actual cost per scoop is right now, but the easy way to find out is to buy a 5-quart pail (I think you wouldn't get accurate results with anything smaller) and use your scoop-puncher on it til it's empty, count how many it really makes rather than guessing or taking the scoop-maker's word for it. Calculate cost of ice cream per scoop (I expect the cone part is pretty cheap), then work out your daily overhead, and see where it totals up.

Anything bought prefab, I figure 20% is a fair markup (10% for higher volume stuff); if you can't make money on that much markup then your overhead is too high anyway.

While the price of milk has gone up and down like a yoyo over the past few years, the price of ice cream (at least at Sam's Club) has been fairly static. So hopefully that won't introduce too much variation, but you may need to check the average long-term price and build in something so you don't shock your customers with unusual-sized price hikes.

Or as a marketing gimmick, post the price of milk and keep your prices relative to that, so people can see your prices occasionally go DOWN. Even a few cents can encourage people to buy from you instead of the next guy.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:23 AM

451 posts, read 849,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
Well was it crumby cuz you showed up fashionably late only to find crumbs left ?
Precisely!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I say "Fashionably" cuz you have a very cool hat.
You know, I really hate that hat - gave it away to one of the kids right after that picture. But guns! I love the guns! Even those two little twitter birds - which, oddly enough, I've since traded....

mg

Old 10-13-2010, 09:46 AM

18,696 posts, read 36,496,976 times
Quote:
Used to be, you took the cost of material and time and marked it up 30%.

NO MORE.

It's whatever the market will handle. Plain and simple. Set a price and then work your butt off making the actual price cheaper and your margin larger.

hahahaha Rez, you kill me. Get a scale. Figure out one scoop's weight. Divide by the total weight of ice cream, subtracting 10% as loss due to spoilage, dropage, or just plain sneaking a scoop when nobody is looking. Add the price of a cone, figure out how many an hour and add your labor. You'll get a rough idea. But until you keep track over a weeks time or maybe even a months time, you won't have a real accurate price per cone cost to you.

But like Rez said, if the price isn't something worth while, I won't stop and get one. I'll wait til I get home and have one out of the tub in the freezer.

By the way, you can keep the heat, I'll take the cold. I can always add layers.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]CD Home page[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"][COLOR="seagreen"]TOS (Terms of Service)[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/107997-search-function-using-search-function.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]How to Search,[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]FAQ's[/COLOR][/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/70589-guide-guide-city-data-posting.html"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Guide[/COLOR][/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/wyoming/"]Wyoming[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/montana/"]Montana[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/north-dakota/"]North Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/south-dakota/"]South Dakota[/URL], [URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/guns-hunting/"]Guns and Hunting[/URL]

Old 10-13-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Amen to that! Of course, the Doctor seems concerned at the permanence of the layers I've been adding these past few years... .

But he's a Doctor, so what does he know about it?

mg

Old 10-13-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
How about Dairy Queen times 2, just as a starting point?

Old 10-13-2010, 12:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 12,622,658 times
Quote:
It's whatever the market will handle. Plain and simple. Set a price and then work your butt off making the actual price cheaper and your margin larger.
There is that However, I will patronize the outfit that keeps prices in line with actual costs before the one that I know is gouging me for whatever it can get. In fact in the latter case I may decide to do without.

Quote:
hahahaha Rez, you kill me. Get a scale. Figure out one scoop's weight. Divide by the total weight of ice cream, subtracting 10% as loss due to spoilage, dropage, or just plain sneaking a scoop when nobody is looking.
Cripes, now you want to go and buy a SCALE? we ain't even sold nothin' yet!

Now I'm wondering what the weight difference is between different types of ice cream. Some are practically nothing but air. That inexpensive but excellent "Swiss" brand is just about air-free (also the only really old-style taste and texture on today's market -- neither overly greasy like today's premium brands, nor gooey/foamy like the cheap ones. If it melts, now it's like milk, not foam; refreeze it and it's ice cream again, not goo.)

Quote:
But like Rez said, if the price isn't something worth while, I won't stop and get one. I'll wait til I get home and have one out of the tub in the freezer.
Perzactly. You gotta tempt not only my mouth but my wallet.

Quote:
In a dry climate, the only layer that matters in hot weather is the wet T-shirt. Keeps you cool and happy all day long.

Old 10-13-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reziac View Post
There is that However, I will patronize the outfit that keeps prices in line with actual costs before the one that I know is gouging me for whatever it can get. In fact in the latter case I may decide to do without.

Cripes, now you want to go and buy a SCALE? we ain't even sold nothin' yet!

Now I'm wondering what the weight difference is between different types of ice cream. Some are practically nothing but air. That inexpensive but excellent "Swiss" brand is just about air-free (also the only really old-style taste and texture on today's market -- neither overly greasy like today's premium brands, nor gooey/foamy like the cheap ones. If it melts, now it's like milk, not foam; refreeze it and it's ice cream again, not goo.)

Perzactly. You gotta tempt not only my mouth but my wallet.

In a dry climate, the only layer that matters in hot weather is the wet T-shirt. Keeps you cool and happy all day long.
Well, there's a lady at one event I went to that sold about a 6 ounce cone of soft serve for $3.50 and did pretty well.
As for the weight, it does depend on the "overrun" aka air that's whipped in. Generally the cheaper the product the more overrun, less/cheaper inclusions like nuts cherries etc.
I know y'all are a "thrifty" group (read cheap) but I figured i'd ask anyway. I got an answer on another forum I'm on of $2 per scoop so there's a big swing from y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Montana